The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By EvoStu
gidders3 wrote:Hi,

I picked up my 2010 M200 last October with 17k miles and since the day I picked it up 2nd to 3rd gear and reverse have been quite 'crunchy' regardless of rev level and engine warmth. Sometimes its fine and other times it just won't go smoothly into gear.

Like others I put this down to a new car and not being used to the gearbox. Since then it has mildly improved but not to any kind of acceptable level - especially from Honda.

So basically I have it booked into Honda this week and I have made them aware of the issue. Having read a large chunk of this 32 page thread it seems most of the issues were with 07/08 plate and it came down to 3rd gear syncro hub.

If anyone else had issues with a 2010 plate and if it was the same fix please get in touch and let me know. Sad to say it is going to Honda with a snagging list of other things too. No way near the build quality of the 54 plate I had before. Shame asa the gearbox on that model was superb for the 7 years I owned it.

Thanks!!
To be fair it sounds like your box is screwed and not a Honda fault. Sounds like the original owner didn't drive it properly.

10 plates were not effected by the product update on the box as the this particular model year had the updates applied.
By WhiskyDelta
Hello

Well, i am sad to say i fear my new (to me) 59 plate CTR may have this 2nd and 3rd gear problem.

At first i put it down to learning the gearbox but i definitely notice that 2nd and 3rd gear feels "crunchy," not all the time but some of the time and while i don't get it popping out of 3rd regularly it has happened once.

So where do i stand, obviously it is out of the manufactures warranty but will Honda still honor this fix as it is a known issue without me going into my own pocket? I did also purchase a AA 5 star warranty with the car as i bought it from a Renault Garage as it was previously part ex to them and i was told it covers everything except interior cloth damage and consumables.

I doubt Renault will get it fixed for me so i an concerned as to where i stand, is this an issue which will get worse and can cause major damage and even more money or is it just a case it is an undesirable attribute of the gearbox?

Regards

Whisky
By Greatbearminge2
Hi there,

I'm new to forums so please ebar with me if i'm posting in the wrong section (although after having a scount round this looks like the right place).

I am also having an issue with 3rd gear popping out or not going in. Aside form this i have discovered a sort of grinding noise, when a gear is selected and I am driving i can hear the noise in every gear and also in neutral but as soon as i press the clutch pedal the noise dissapears.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas around this, or even had the same issue?

BTW, the car is a 2003 ep3 type r. Its covered 96k and had a new clutch fitted last october...
By markysan
I followed others and changed to Amsoil MTF and its improved enough that I dont notice it. However, at end of day theres still a problem there that will one day need attention. Oil alone cant fix it but it can help.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]