The Worlds Largest Independent Honda Type-R Club & Forum - "Often imitated, never duplicated" 

• Oil light flickers on idle EP3

• Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
 #3865976  by burnsey_100
 Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:13 pm
Hello,

Here is my problem.

I changed the timing chain and tensioner and about 2/3 weeks later the oil light started to flicker on idle when warm. I changed the sensor but didn’t fix it. I replaced the oil pump and it’s still the same. I fitted an external oil pressure gauge to test the pressure all the time. This showed that I had 30psi on idle when cold but when warmed up the oil pressure drops to about 1-2 psi. On normal driving it appeared to have oil pressure in the high revs and vtec worked fine. I done some research and fingers were pointing to the crank shell Clearances. So I replaced them with the standard ones after inspecting the crank and seeing theirs no damage/scoring. Part of the top layer of the shells had worn slightly but nothing major. Done all this and it’s still the same. (Banging head against the wall) now I thought bugger it pull the motor out and have a good inspection. My thoughts were that maybe some sealent from the timing chain when I was scraping the old stuff off had fallen into the oil and maybe blocked a gallery or something. But it seems ok. Now it’s completely stripped the only problem I found along the way was, the tensioner had come loose. the cam cover had stopped the bolts coming out any further. Now I was wondering if this could have effected the oil pressure problem?
Or if you think something else maybe the problem?

Thanks
 #3865980  by burnsey_100
 Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 pm
Thanks for the reply.
No, have drained the oil 3 times with new filter every time, and have used an oil flush with one oil change too.
 #3865981  by Cloudycloud
 Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:44 am
I’d say the oil pressure is low cause the tensioner wasn’t tight, that is were the oil has lost its pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #3866004  by 15repyt
 Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 pm
Wow quite a lot then. Was the oil light flickering before the chain was done? Why did you change the chain?
 #3866007  by parsimony
 Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:42 am
Plumb an oil pressure gauge into the switch port and verify whether it is a genuine low pressure.
You may be very lucky and find it is only a switch problem.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar OBD not talking!

by rose5691

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:53 pm

User avatar Alarm siren location.

by Juliand

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 pm

User avatar Gearbox problem

by Sean89

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:04 pm

User avatar EP3 wheel arch tinworm

by SCREAMING

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm

User avatar Torque App on Head Unit

by veehexx

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:32 am

Twitter

About Us

CTRO™ was the worlds first and largest Civic Type R club and forum. Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's. Now fully updated for 2015 the new forum based on BBOOTS PhpBB® Unofficial HTML5/CSS3 Theme. It’s Clean And Crisp Design Looks AWESOME Across All Browsers And Devices.

Don't forget to check out our huge Facebook group and Twitter Pages for all the most upto date goings on in the world of Honda and the Type R Brand.

CTRO

Established : 2002