The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
Ok so I've recently purchased a 2002 EP3 Type R, it's the first I've owned, but having previously worked for a Honda main dealer, I do know them reasonably well.

This is an air con model, which is mechanically strong, but with plenty of little visual niggles to sort out. The good news is that I have a daily already, so I can take the time to get this done right, also having contacts within the dealer network will hopefully start to bear fruit ;-)

So I'll start with a couple of photo's

As far as I can tell, it's already had the facelift rear lights fitted, so I may look to facelift the front headlights (the originals are a little bit milky anyway), bumper and grill as well. another job will be to lose the aftermarket wheels and fit some nicely refurbished enkei's. As you've probably guessed, original Honda parts and OEM is the order of the day here.

It has a few more pressing issues as well, firstly it has a rust issue on the front drivers wing (rare for a type R I know) as well as a couple of scrapes one of which seems to have been painted badly already.

The next is the interior, the steering wheel and gearknob, as well as a few other bits are worn and just spoil the interior. I'll probably end up raiding the parts for sale section of the forum for these, or maybe buy a couple of new parts by getting back in touch with the old parts manager and calling in some favours :lol:
My big concern is with the seats, there's a couple of rips on the drivers seat, one being on the bolster. The rear bench also seems to have split down a seam, so I'll either have to call up an upholsterer I used to use, or buy replacements if I can find some in nice condition.

So, it's a little rough around the edges, but I look forward to when I can go for a drive in a showroom condition EP3 ;-) well maybe that's asking a lot, but I'm certainly hoping for it to become one of the best for its age!

But the updates will be coming thick and fast, so keep an eye on the thread!
Good luck with the project, I do like a good Ep3 revival thread!
Strange facelift lights have been put on, as normally it is the other way around!
I would look at some oem wheels for it also, but that is just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stamford78 wrote:Good luck with the project, I do like a good Ep3 revival thread!
Strange facelift lights have been put on, as normally it is the other way around!
I would look at some oem wheels for it also, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks, yes I'm not a fan of the aftermarket wheels either so I plan to change them. I still have the pre facelift lights, as they were left in the boot by the previous owner, so I need to decide which I prefer.
nige t wrote:Nice little project, I look forward to more updates. What mileage is it on? Agree will look good back to OEM.
Thanks, it's just clocked over to 110,000. So it's off to Honda for a service and a health check, might get them to change the aux belt while its in as well as I can hear a very faint squeak, there's nothing better than piece of mind I guess.

Added in 10 minutes 27 seconds:
Ok so there's nothing major changed yet, but I have begun ticking off a few of the niggles.

I managed to get a second hand steering wheel, but without the rips and tears the previous one had, and also a new gearknob since the previous owner seems to have been a ring wearer. Got both swapped this afternoon and it makes the interior look instantly smarter.

Before and after:

New gearknob looks a lot nicer than the worn original

The replacement steering wheel is still not in brand new condition, but whilst the upholsterer/interior trim guy is doing the seats I'm going to get him to refurb the leather on the wheel as well.

So small steps, but now waiting for the parts to come in before I send it to the bodyshop
FunkyRemix wrote:Looks like plenty of jobs to be done.

Why did you not fit a heavier aftermarket gear knob, the standard one sucks!
Tons unfortunately, I need to keep the momentum going and make sure I get it done. The Fto in my garage is proof of my ability to procrastinate :lol:

I was tempted, but I really want to keep it as standard as possible, although a nice titanium integra one might just tempt me!
New update on the ep3, I finally got hold of some oem alloys, they have been painted red though although it is starting to grow on me :lol: I have to decide whether to leave them red and paint the centre caps, or paint them a less out there colour.

The wheels

Before and after

Looks smarter already!
I've also just taken delivery of a set of seats to replace the ripped set I have, and some interior parts to smarten up the dash.

I need to get them sorted, the Mrs is going mad about the seats in the hallway :lol: Shouldn't be long before its sorted :D
Stamford78 wrote:Much much better, although
I would have them back in silver but that could be a job to finish the project off maybe. A rear Jdm plate always looks better also I think.

I've still to decide on the wheels, the purist in me says back to standard or at least a less offensive colour, but I also quite like how much they stand out.
I didn't think about the plate, it might be a good idea!
OK so it's been a long time since the last update, and the reason for that is that I left it at the industrial unit and forgot about it :oops:

Whilst it was there I replaced the rusted wing with a salvage part.

And I decided to move the car back to my house so that I can no longer ignore it. Due to it now running out of m.o.t I had to have it towed.

So now it's back home, I chucked a bucket of water over it, and had a go at de-milking the front lights.

And big difference between the two lights, must be Working!

It's finally looking less like I pulled it out of a lake, a few jobs to do and then I'll be taking it for a fresh m.o.t and service :D

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]