The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By bonelorry
Hello all,

Thought I would share this with everyone.

Bought the car 5 Weeks ago, Totally standard car and will be staying that way!

Basic spec of the car is as follows...

Honda Civic Type R, 2004 Facelift Model
Air-Con model with rear parking sensors
Satin Silver
Standard K20A2 Engine
One owner from new
59K Miles
Full Service History, All done by Honda and has been ran on Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic all its life. Also has every MOT cert from new and even has the original bill of sale!

When I arrived back home, Bear in mind the car had been valeted before I collected it. Not up to my standards by any means! Post wash picture, looks clean from a distance...

Usual bonelorry wash process...

: Rinsed the car, Wheel arches and Wheels thoroughly.
: Cleaned the fuel filler flap. All door, Bonnet and boot-lid shuts, Front Scuttle and Rubber door window seals using Valetpro detailing brush and APC to high concentrate.
: Rinsed car again.
: Washed the car using 2 bucket method one panel at a time with a Eurow Lambswool mitt and Meguires ultimate shampoo.
: Rinsed car again.
: Cleaned the wheels with Valetpro Bilberry wheel cleaner, 1:5 dilute in trigger bottle with foaming head. Using a Valetpro detailing brush to agitate, Left on 5 mins per wheel to dwell then rinsed off. Finished the wheel faces with a Meguiars MF wash mitt and wheel backs using a Megs ultra safe wheel brush.
: Wheel arches cleaned using trigger bottle with APC and foaming head and wheel arch brush, then rinsed.
: Dried the whole car using Elite XL drying towel.
: Clayed the whole car using Megs mild clay and Megs Detailer spray as lubricant.
: Rinsed the car again.
: Dryed the whole car with Elite XL drying towel, Dried the wheels, Door shuts and engine bay with Microfibre towel
: Cleaned the glass inside and out with Autoglym fast glass then Autoglym Glass Polish.
: Dressed any plastic trim, Front scuttle and Wiper arms with Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber car buffing of any excess with a Microfibre cloth.
: Dressed the tyres using Megs endurance tyre gel.
: Dressed the wheel arch liners with Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care.
: Polished the tailpipe's with Autosol.
: Finished the car off with a spritz of Megs Quick detailer spray and a Chemical boys ultra plush finishing/buffing towel.

During...

Removed roof trims...

Before

After

Fuel filler area...

Before

After

Both headlights had suffered some UV damage from 12 Years of sun etc, Had gone cloudy and needed some TLC...

Before

Dealt with the headlights using the DAS 6-Pro and Hex-Logic Orange spotting pad with Meguires 105 Polish, Extra care taken not to get too much heat on the lens and the plastic gets hot quickly. Low speed on the D/A and low pressure letting the pad and polish do the work.

Finished article, Not bad for an afternoons work and its first clean...

Also gave the interior a thorough cleaning, Removed all the boot trim, Mats and hoovered the car out properly. Dress all the interior trim and plastics...

Last edited by bonelorry on Sun May 22, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bonelorry
Decided to give the Civic a Major Service.

It last had a Service in July 2015 about 3000 Miles ago, The Oil looked very clean but I wanted to replace the other filters and Spark plugs so just did the lot for piece of mind..

: 5W40 Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 Super 3000 (Car has been ran on Mobil 1 all its life)
: Blue Print Oil Filter
: Blue Print Air Filter
: Blue Print Cabin Filters x 2
: NGK IFR7G-11KS Iridium Spark Plugs (Chuffing expensive)

Also removed an deep cleaned the Airbox and made a Minor Adjustment to the Throttle Cable.

Service kit, Decided not to use Genuine Filters but went for Blue Print ones. The car is now 12 Years old and to be honest although the car has been Honda serviced all its life IMO the Blue Print Filters are of OEM quality anyway for a fraction of the cost...

Removed Plugs, The actual official interval on these is 75000 Miles according to Honda which will explain why they are £15 per plug. My car has covered 60100 to be precise and had these plugs fitted about 5-6 Years ago so was ready for set without a doubt...

Small amount of anti-seizure compound applied to threads before fitting...

Old Air Filter again was ready for changing, Also gave the AIr-Box a thorough clean before fitting the new Filter...

Cabin Filters, Past their best...

Added in 2 minutes 13 seconds:
I gave the Civic a Mini-Detail when I first got the car home 3 weeks ago including De-tarring and Claying but have not really done much else with it Detailing wise, Decided to give it a bit of a pampering today and probably for the first time in its 12 Year old life it had a Machine Polish.

Usual wash process so I wont list the full details, Opted for a Single Stage with the D/A using Meguiars 205 Polish and a White hex pad which usually on the VW paint is used for the finishing/refining Stage but worked well on the Honda's paint for Minor Correction.

Couple of snaps from yesterdays efforts, As mentioned I opted to do a Single Stage and used Megs 205/White Hex pad combo on the DAS6-Pro D/A. Collinites no845 for protection and finished with Sonax Turbo Detailer...

Reflection shot, Not bad for a Silver car. Came up well, Not defect free and still the odd mark here and there but for a 12 Year old car thats never had any paint...

A few more just cos...

Headlamps still looking well after I restored them, Added another layer of wax to them...

Added in 2 minutes 21 seconds:
Now 5 Weeks into ownership and still very much enjoying the Civic, Been approached by 2 x people I know personally asking for first refusal as and when I decide to let the Civic go and had a few PM's on various owners clubs too from people.

Nothing thrilling to report really, I am not complaining though especially on a 12 Year old car I would have expected to have done at least something with the car by now but it wants for nothing...Its a bloody good car to be fair and I am really impressed with it.

My list of To-Do's is now virtually complete, Since buying the car I have done the following...

Full Exterior Detail including Single Stage machine polish & Wax
Headlight restoration
Major Service inc all filters & NGK Iridium plugs
New pair of Bosch wipers
A pair of Stop/Tail Brake light bulbs

Other than getting the car MOT'd in June that is about it I reckon.

Decided to get up early today and did the following...

: Removed all Four wheels
: Gave the backs a proper clean using Bilberry
: Removed all the old wheel weight residue using the Caramel wheel and Tar spots with AG Tar Remover
: Painted the Brake Calipers and Brake Disc Bells

Just a few mobile phone snaps, Didn't go crazy Will take some more with the Canon when its not raining...

OSR Wheel arch before...

OSR wheel arch after, Caliper and Disk bell painted Hammerite Smooth Black...

Wheel fully cleaned ready for re-fitment, Centre caps all lined up with the Valves OCD...

OSF after, Another OCD all Locking wheel nuts at 1 O Clock position with Valves LOL...

Added in 1 minute 7 seconds:
A few more after giving the car its weekly wash this morning, Probably the last pictures for a while now as the car is pretty much finished and at a level I am happy with...

By Lewisgame
Some effort gone into getting that clean. Something I need to invest in is a polisher. A very clean example of a car. Nice to see one that's going to stay standard.
When I PDI cars at work I do the same when fitting the centre caps.... But I have the valve at the bottom of the logo.
By bonelorry
Thanks guys, I actually sold my Golf R and bought the Civic as a temp car for a few months but I am really enjoying it so far.

Probably won't keep it long term but however long I have it for it will continue getting looked after!
By bonelorry
JackEP3Premier wrote:Looks good, real clean!!

Id go 2 Potenzas for the front, a good intake and call it a day.
Thanks, Avons are staying on the front as they a virtually new and I will prob be changing the Potenza's on the rear which have about 3-4mm left for some Uniroyal RS3's if I keep the car long enough and they wear out.

Wont be changing the intake though, Like the peace and quiet when I drive to work at 3am plus its pointless spending the money on any bolt ons as I will only be owning it for another 6 Months maximum.

Cheers :)
By bonelorry
11/6/16

Now 8 weeks in with the Civic and 10 Weeks into my Train Driver training with a fried brain LOL. Absolutely no regrets on selling the Golf R and getting the CTR it was a great decision and one I am glad that I made!

Over the last few days I noticed a bit of Brake squeal from the OSF area, I initially put it down to a bit of material in the pad compound but when I got to the car park on Thursday morning the car was reluctant to roll in Neutral down the slight gradient so alarm bells began to ring.

I could smell the paint on from the Caliper/Disc and sure enough the OSF wheel was red-hot to the touch!

I took my time going home that night and stripped down the Front Brakes on both sides hoping to find that either the Pads where stuck in the housings or the sliders had seized, The sliders where nice and free but the pads took a little persuasion to get out. I re-greased the sliders and cleaned the carriers up so the pads took little effort getting in and out, Happy with everything else I pushed the NSF Piston back with little effort but the Piston on the OSF Brake Caliper would not go back.

I initially had a feeling it would be the Caliper but wanted to go through everything else first LOL!

I needed to use the car the following day so rebuilt everything but sure enough it was the same on Friday morning when I arrived at the car park at Barnsley Station. Rather than messing about just replacing the caliper I thought I would do the lot as the car is 12 Years old and the NSF Caliper wont be far behind!

I wont be needing the car this week anyway as I am at Sheffield all week but on Thursday when I finish I am borrowing a friends ramp and doing the following...

: 2 x Professionally Refurbished Front Nissin Brake Calipers, These have been fully stripped, Sand Blasted, Zinc Plated with all new seals, New bleed screws etc
: New EBC Ultimax pads, Similar to OEM
: Full Brake Fluid change using ATE TYP 200 Super DOT 4

Once its all back together it will be getting MOT'd while its down there as its due in July anyway.
By bonelorry
16/6/16

Well its been a Fu**er of a week, I wont go into it all but the 2 x Calipers and EBC Pads I ordered and payed for a week ago from ebay have not arrived and after spending 2 hours yesterday between the seller and UPS who are should have delivered the goods to me on Tuesday it not turns out that the said items are still in the possession of the seller and have never even been sent yet.

A UPS shipping label was printed off and the items marked as dispatched on ebay on Saturday so I have been trying to track them but nothing was happening and at first the seller said he was unsure what the problem was but then went on to say it was an error at his end and not with UPS.

I have been offered and also requested a refund this morning so fingers crossed it all gets sorted.

So I still needed to sort the Brake issue out on the car as mentioned on my previous post and had a ramp sorted out for this afternoon to carry out the repairs, I originally intended to replace Both Front Calipers and the Brake Pads, The NSF was not required and in perfect working order but as I got such a good deal on the pair I thought why not? However as mentioned above these parts have never materialised so had to go elsewhere.

Last minute phonecalls to GSF yesterday afternoon just before they closed secured me all the parts I needed so ended spending much more on the parts but it needed to be right.

So this afternoon I did the following...

: Brand new Complete TRW/Nissin Brake Caliper complete with carrier
: Brembo Plain Brake Discs
: Brembo Brake Pads
: Full Brake Fluid change ATE TYP200 Super DOT 4

Once completed and after a quick road test into the MOT bay and.....It passed no problems!

New Parts ready for fitting....

Old Disc, Caliper removed and Carrier...

New TRW/Nissin Caliper, Brembo Plain Discs, Brembo Pads. Typically I only painted the Calipers and Disc bells Black about a Month ago so will need to re-paint the new OSF Caliper and Front Disc Bells...

MOT time...

By nige t
Glad you got the brakes and mot sorted out eventually. I hope you got a refund from the eBay seller. Car looking good.
By bonelorry
nige t wrote:Glad you got the brakes and mot sorted out eventually. I hope you got a refund from the eBay seller. Car looking good.
Thanks!

Yes I got a full refund last night from the seller, He was very apologetic to be fair. :)
By bonelorry
7/7/16

Been a while since I posted anything about the CTR, Now nearly 3 Months and 1500 Miles into ownership. The car is now sitting on 61000 Miles which for a 12 Year old car is nothing.

Since sorting the Brake issues last Month and getting it MOT'd its been fine...In fact now the Brakes have bedded in and it has some decent Brake fluid in its much better under Braking!

A day or so after doing the Brake work on the car I decided to contact the dealership that I purchased the car off purely as a bit of a long shot to see if they would be willing to contribute towards the repairs as I had only owned the car for 2 Months and covered around 1000 Miles at that point. As said I did not expect too much but after a few Emails, Phone calls and me sending the Invoices for the Brake Parts to them they gave me a £250 contribution towards the work which although it didn't cover the whole cost of the repairs I was more than happy with...Bonus!

I am now currently on my 14th Week of Train Driver training and only have about 3 More Weeks commuting to Leeds before I will be back at my home depot in Sheffield where I will be doing the 3 Months practical/driving side of my training, The Civic has done a grand job and I am really glad I made the decision to sell the Golf R and go for something cheaper as its been fantastic to just jump in the Civic and not really worry about it. As much as I love the Civic it was only ever going to be temporary while I was in training and as I am getting closer I am getting itchy feet and have began looking at the current car market for some ideas as to what car to buy next...I just cant help myself LOL!

So these will possibly be the last pictures I will be posting of the car as I can foresee over the next few Months another car been on the cards.

Had a few hours spare this afternoon so decided to give the Civic a bit of TLC...

Also Painted the New Brake Caliper and New Disc bells a few weekends ago too...

By bonelorry
Rigsby01 wrote:Looks mint , not many in that condition, looks factory fresh.

What cars are you looking at? Awd and turbo , has to be a focus RS surely?
Not 100% decided yet, Wont be a Ford though....Hate them with a passion!

I have owned 41 Cars now and not 1 has been a Ford!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]