The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By j-wiggins
Been on the forum for a while now but never started a build thread :roll:

Was offered a 04 EP3 in Cosmic Grey with 73,000 on the shell for cheap so had to buy it and make it my winter project :)

How the car looked before engine failure and being broke for parts:

And how it looked before I had it picked it up:

As I'm from Scotland and never had a trailer to hand I phoned a guy down south I know with a recovery business who brought the car up to me:

The car arrived to me safe and well, described great and also a ton of parts inside the car which I knew would come in handy for either fitting or selling to fund the project, gave the inside a good clean as there was plenty of damp and mould collected, fitted some pre facelift seats i had lying around:

ImageImage

Once I had the car a week or so a friend helped me move it down to my unit to get to work on rebuilding the EP3 back to its former glory:

I also used a donor car for odds & sods I had to swap over:

Picked up a red Premier carpet and Premier Recaros had to travel a few hours but was totally worth it:

By j-wiggins
Then I had another small journey to pick up a set of Rota GTRs which a member on here was selling:

Some more goodies kept coming through the post

Red LCA's & beaks bar, rear drop links, Japspeed subframe brace (bought from a CTRO member) Premier sat nav, front ball joints, Skunk2 rear plate surround & driver side engine mount:

JDM mats also bought from a CTRO member:

Mugen pads :Cool:

J's style wings:

Some essential parts arrived:

Mugen style radiator duct from Fiberworx, can't wait to see this on!

Finally after hunting around all breakers and sellers I found a 70,000 mile engine (with proof) which I had a 4 hour round trip to pick up but wanted as low and round about the shell milage as I could, I added a Mugen oil cap and carbon spark plug cover:

Put the Rotas on to get a feel for them:

Gave the engine bay a good clean before I put the K20 in:

Starting to move forward with actually building instead of buying!

ImageImageImage
Last edited by j-wiggins on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By j-wiggins
One of the boys popped down in his brand new FK2 to protect & seal it:

ImageImage

Got the carpet installed & Recaros now fitted, finally getting somewhere:

ImageImage

Fitted my ramp at the weekend so now I've no excuse to get things moving with the CTR now its movable round the unit, few last tweaks & fit roll bars, new LCA's and a general once over the full car to make sure everything is sweet and tight and off to the paint shop to get the wings, bumpers spoiler all colour coded:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
By m22_crx
as a long term crx owner i have seen many crx projects like this but never an ep3 before!
Great to see a cosmic saved, looks to be coming along fantastic.
By Stamford78
Fantastic fella! Love threads like this. Great work. Keep it coming.[emoji847] How long did it take you from picking the car up to where it is now?
By j-wiggins
m22_crx wrote:as a long term crx owner i have seen many crx projects like this but never an ep3 before!
Great to see a cosmic saved, looks to be coming along fantastic.
I felt I had to as the milage was low & shell was very clean :)

Added in 2 minutes 58 seconds:
Stamford78 wrote:Fantastic fella! Love threads like this. Great work. Keep it coming.[emoji847] How long did it take you from picking the car up to where it is now?
Thanks mate! The car arrived to me 5 weeks ago, been going down and doing it as much as I can :) should be finished and away for paint by next Monday, excited to see it all finished and back on the road
By j-wiggins
Had some time today to crack on with the EP3

Fitted my LCA's and Beaks bar, just now need a ASR brace to tie in -

Before: Image

After: Image

Then fitted my Japspeed Brace: Image
By j-wiggins
Forgot to put some pictures up last week of my calipers - which I purchased a front caliper rebuild kit so I took to replacing the pistons and seals, I'm glad I did too because they were a lot worse than I thought

Before: Image

After:Image

Painted them while being off the car as was much easier

Finished product: Image

Added in 7 minutes 44 seconds:
Today I planned to spent the full day on the interior of the Type R, I wanted to do something with the spare wheel to make it a lot more tidier because it looked a bit scabby

Before: ImageImageImage

After some sanding, priming, painting & lacquering I was satisfied my spare wheel & boot area looked a lot better, also put all the plastics back into the rear: ImageImageImageImage
By j-wiggins
Not updated in a while so thought I'd share what I've been up to :)

I pulled all the upper half interior plastics out and the headliner, I painted all the plastics in satin black and dyed the headliner black used a little too much of the dye as its gave it a suede look for some reason but was my first time trying this method so was happy with the results

ImageImageImage

Fitted my 'OMP' steering wheel which makes a nice touch:

Fitted my 'Recaro' Head rests these make some difference ;)

Recivied my favourite purchase from a forum member on here, CF bonnet :Woot:

Tidied up the engine bay, need a red Tegiwa hose to set it off:

Got the car back up on the ramp and completely cleaned underneath with MPC to get rid of all the dirt and grime before I undersealed it, wasn't too dirty and 0 rust which I was over the moon about:

Finally got my mate to take the car up to my painters house to crack on with the exterior while I go on holiday:

Added in 10 minutes 5 seconds:
All the parts to be painted & fitted:

ImageImage

Mugen radiator duct fitted:

I bought the bumper with 'slight' damage as advertised but after playing about with it was completely useless as did not have corner part to repair :oops:

Bought one very very cheap from someone on a selling page on Facebook:

Test fitting with the wings which were a pain in the a**:

Mugen spoiler partially fitted & more parts painted coming together nicely (rubbish pictures):

By N77
Awesome thread buddy, nice to see someone saving one rather than stripping and giving up :)

Sent from my HTC One mum using Tapatalk
By Jo5h
Great car, really clean.

Where abouts did you get the Recaro head cushion things from? Been looking for some for ages but can't find any.
By j-wiggins
Thanks for the comments guys

I got them from a Austrialian company JDM accessories, ordered red but black came instead :lol: took about 2 weeks to come
By j-wiggins
Jo5h wrote:
j-wiggins wrote:Thanks for the comments guys

I got them from a Austrialian company JDM accessories, ordered red but black came instead :lol: took about 2 weeks to come
:lol: Must be these guys then: http://jdmaccessories.com.au/?product=r ... t-cushions

How do they attach, is there velcro on the elastic strap bit? How much did it cost in total for postage and stuff?
They're fully attached at the back as if their designed for DC2 Recaros, so I had to just cut the back in half and buy some velcro and put it on

Was about £30 delivered I'm sure [emoji1303]
By Jo5h
j-wiggins wrote:
Jo5h wrote:
j-wiggins wrote:Thanks for the comments guys

:lol: Must be these guys then: http://jdmaccessories.com.au/?product=r ... t-cushions

How do they attach, is there velcro on the elastic strap bit? How much did it cost in total for postage and stuff?
They're fully attached at the back as if their designed for DC2 Recaros, so I had to just cut the back in half and buy some velcro and put it on

Was about £30 delivered I'm sure [emoji1303]
Good stuff, just ordered some so will be doing the same regarding velcro.

Thanks very much :)
By Jo5h
[quote="j-wiggins"
[/quote]

Arrived today, just tried fitting this way and the velcro I have just don't cut it, keep falling off so going to need some industrial strength stuff I think haha :lol:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]