The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
Cadwell yesterday was amazing!

After the forecast saying thunderstorms it was sunny and dry until a very light mist of rain mid afternoon.

The car was on form, and felt perfectly balanced although fighting a gripper diff all day was like a gym workout! I managed to shave 2 seconds off my FWD lap time and 1 second off my outright time and was only overtaken by two "cars" all day - a V8 powered twin seater and a Radical which I can live with, neither of which were significantly faster.

One amusing incident though, I've recently removed all my exhaust heatshields on my TypeR, meaning the floor gets quite hot after a long session on track.

Not normally a problem, except a previous owner of the car has stashed some weed somewhere, which is getting BAKED and stinking the car out! I could smell it, the TDO could smell it and I had to volunteer for a drugs test to prove I wasn't high!
That's next! :)

Added in 2 hours 32 minutes 55 seconds:
Just a couple of little bits this evening

New spoiler end plates cut from 4mm aluminium

I'll get these powdercoated black

And a new sunstrip. Might keep the smaller text, not sure yet

The problem I now have is the sides of the car are much more "naked" than the front and rear, which are dominated by sunstrips, splitters and canards/diffuser etc

I'm thinking of some large graphics for the side
Well, time for a pretty major update! I'm back from the Ring with a real mixed bag of results and emotions.

Where do I start?

Two days before I was due to leave I made a spontaneous trip out in the Type-R, which decided to **** it's auxillary belt idler!

Bearings failed

This really spooked me. And had me frantically putting together a spares package before we left!

Here I am all packed up and ready to go. Our convoy consisted of my Type-R, a Golf V6 4-motion, a 888 Astra, an Astra 2.2, a 3.0 V6 Cavalier and a 1.2 Corsa!

Here's some pics taken on a hike around the track...

I then went out on the Thursday evening session

The car was going really well, my fastest full lap was a 8min 31 with roadworks, a yellow flag and traffic, which beats my outright and FWD lap records! I was on course for around an 8min 10 according to my sector times. Then this happened...

On one of the fastest sections of the track I lost control at the exit of a bend at 108mph, spun and hit the barrier.

After the Nurburgring track officials had come down to inspect the damage, I was taken back to the office and billed for the damage. They allege 40 metres of armco damage, 6 posts and various fees for staff attendance. 3600 euros.

The car was taken to the local recovery depot "Bongard" at Adenau
I wasn't the only casualty it seems...

It was here I first saw the side of the car, panel damage mainly

Back at my hotel we put it into our garage and began a stripdown

Damage that we could see initially
- Wishbone buckled
- Wheel alignment seriously out
- Wing creased
- Headlight

Cosmetic damage to
- Wheels
- Wheel studs
- Rear quarters
- Bumpers

Managed to bodge the wishbone a little straighter (thanks to Phillip @ Rent4Ring) and crab it all the way back to England

Dunno where to go from here. Yes I'm fully aware it's probably mechanically an easy fix - but I've lost a lot of love for it. Not sure what to do next. That was all 2 weeks ago and I haven't even moved the car from where I ditched it.
Hey man that's unfortunate , that place is a car killer.

Get yourself a new wishbone, wing and headlight from integrastella, put them on and go kick its ass on track for the rest of the track season. Then if the cosmetic stuff bothers you as the winter comes in you can make it pretty again, or break it for parts and move on.

Once you get it back on track again you will fall for it again :-D
Really unfortunate, but at least you're ok.

I wrote off my Saxo VTS there in 2009. I left mine in the Bongard grave yard.

They say get back on the horse etc. I went back then next year but as a passenger and have since been back in the CTR. Last thing you should do is let it stop you enjoying track. I get onto my local track (Snetterton) when I can and TBH learned a lot from crashing.

That looks like a fairly easy fix. Crack on!
1812_s wrote:sh-t 3600euros.....did you have insurance
I've researched the subject and as far as I know you can't get any meaningful insurance for TF sessions on the Ring.

]
Chris1983W wrote:Anyone have an email address for Spooner Restorations as I'm not on Facebook.
Hi, inbox me your email address and I'll pass it on to him

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]