The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
My mate crashed his BMW there last month and got charged 1600 euros. Got a cheaque last week for 504 euros. Seems they over charge and then assess the real damage once the track is closed.

I bet you'll get a refund from your 3600.
Update time, sorry for the delay. Thanks for the support guys :) I've been thinking and have decided to

FIX THE FECKER :twisted:

I have a spare type-R here, so I started by stripping the wishbones off that and pressing the bushes out

Annoyingly only the rubbers came out, leaving a metal collar in them. I hacksawed two grooves into this, then punched a section out and prized out the remainder.

All stripped down

Back from the powdercoaters

I ordered a set of these, that give a slight increase in caster with eccentric bushes.

They are easy enough to press in. For correct caster alignment you have to line them up to a certain angle. They were simple to press in with just a vice and the supplied assembly lube.

I took the time to refurb the steering arms too, here they are primed. They have since been done gloss black.

I'd also previously sourced some roll centre adjusters

To add to this, whilst everything is apart I've gone for a couple of steering rack upgrades. Firstly this solid brass rack slider from Project K. It replaces an OEM plastic item which is flexible and prone to failure

Secondly, coming off the rack is this bracket which relocates the steering arms higher, to correct their angle and reduce bump steer.

Here's the collection of bits ready to go on. I've had 2 damaged wheels checked for buckles and refurbished as well, and got the subframe powdercoated to match the arms.

Also in the mix are these subframe locking collars, to correct the problem of the subframe holes being too big for the bolts (a rare flaw in the EP3!)

Also in the collection are new droplinks and track rod ends for good measure

These parts represent everything I need for the mechanical repair, to a much higher spec than pre-accident. The suspension setup is now closer in spec to the engine and drivetrain and should see a good reduction in lap times. I'm hoping for a new Cadwell lap record in a couple of months!

Body wise I'm going to paint up the spare wing, but leave the rear quarter damage for a short while while I consider a local repair vs a full body respray.

In other areas I've gutted the doors of the looms, central locking, window regs and side impact bars.

And trial fitted the plastic windows

I'm just finalising how the windows are going to be mounted, and putting that into reality over the coming week or so.

On track again in 3 weeks :twisted: So I'll be running some basic health checks like pads, oil, fluids etc and getting a geometry setup.

Best crack on with it then!
Superb that you have decided to fix (upgrade) it. I did the exact same mods to mine last year ( powder coated sub frame, arms, new bush kit and solid collars for the sub frame). You will notice a significant improvement in front end stability, especially under braking. Prior to this my car always pulled left while braking, now its completely straight.

leave the cosmetic stuff, it's a track slag :P

Enjoy!
Some more progress on the repairs!

Front polycarbs are in, finished and secured. I went with the original door cards as they really do weigh sod all. There's no electrics in the doors whatsoever, window motors, runners or central locking. Much better!

At some stage the whole car will need painting. For now, we rattlecan. I'm enjoying seeing the results, and learning from my mistakes. I've come a long way! Thanks to Benn for the help.

Bent wing vs repainted spare. The new one is now fitted.

Onto the mechanical repair, the subframe has been swapped for the powdercoated collared one

Polybushed arms on with new droplinks

New steering arms, track rod ends, rack raiser and brass rack slider all fitted

Spotted some damage to the bottom of one of the coilovers

Built it back up with washers and plenty of weld, having aligned the holes with a spare hub and some bolts to keep them square. It's not perfect, but probably stronger than ever.

So at this stage the car is about done except for
- Headlight wiring / fitting
- Front/rear engine mounts bolting to subframe
- Plastic rear quarter windows, surrounds painting on and fitting
Little more done today...

There's a metal bracket under each headlight, the n/s was bent from the crash, so I took a pair off my donor car, wire wheeled them back to metal, primed and painted them

Here they are fitted. Also saved a few more grams by removing the airbag triggers from the same area

Most of the lights work, annoyingly I'm one indicator down!

Rear quarter damage can stay for now, in case I bin it again at Donnington. Just a vinyl for now!

I've also been sorting out a surround for the rear polycarbs. First of all tried painting them on, with plastic primer, but there was a reaction. So out came the masking tape and a roll of vinyl!

Vinyl is now on and dry. I've trimmed it back with a blade.

Now currently mid way through fitting the rear quarters, and my riveter is jammed! It's got to be geo'd before Monday evening!
Lewisgame wrote:I watched that video a few weeks back. Interesting to see how they go about these accidents.
It also shows the importance of going there with a rock solid reliable car. Not noticing that the fuel straps were rotten, causing the fuel tank to fall off is a bit poor.
Aye definitely, it's something that i must admit i never would have even considered as a possible source of a crash, but just goes to show that it can happen. The straps on my car don't look too smart so ill need to get under it and have a look. Also at the monster unit track night last week a guy in a well prepped track car was flying down railroad at 100mph plus when his front wishbone just collapsed, he was very lucky it happened in the braking zone in a straight line!

D4Z3D wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:I watched that video a few weeks back. Interesting to see how they go about these accidents.
It also shows the importance of going there with a rock solid reliable car. Not noticing that the fuel straps were rotten, causing the fuel tank to fall off is a bit poor.
Aye definitely, it's something that i must admit i never would have even considered as a possible source of a crash, but just goes to show that it can happen. The straps on my car don't look too smart so ill need to get under it and have a look. Also at the monster unit track night last week a guy in a well prepped track car was flying down railroad at 100mph plus when his front wishbone just collapsed, he was very lucky it happened in the braking zone in a straight line!

Them ibiza's are just a Polo underneath. So when they fit a Golf engine, then owner cranks up the power. The chassis can't really cope. Polo suspension of that age is made out of chocolate. Again an unfortunate failure.
I follow that DC2 owner (Dan) on Facebook and saw him post about the crash. It really is inevitable in any motorsport when at the limit, everyone crashes on every rung of the ladder. The scary thing is, Dan's reflexes and car control are seriously good, but if you're at 100% you can never guarantee you'll catch every mishap.

Anyway, we are in manic times, a big rush for Donington on Monday!

I've got the rear windows in, with a bead of black gutter sealant and a load of rivets. My hand riveter seized a few times which was a pain in the arse, so I borrowed an air riveter which is absolutely epic. I'm really happy with how these came out, I was even able to skim the edges of the vinyl off with a stanley blade once the windows were in place, to leave a perfect edge.

I had planned on painting the rivet heads black, but to be honest I love the look of them!

Anyway, fired her up and have taken her for a quick spin, no major issues and seems to drive straight. Off to Grinspeed tomorrow for geometry setup!

Literally just packed away my tools! Going to fill up on Vpower and get some sleep.

Trip to Grinspeed today! Legendary service as always. I think I'd go there even if I lived in Cornwall.

Custom geometry setup is complete. Caster checked at the front. Camber and toe front and rear.

Only issue is the car is now ROASTING when sat in traffic. Fixed windows are hellish! I'm going to get a roof vent asap, hopefully before it's on track!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]