The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By *nub*
I haven't put a pic up for a while, not much done atm except trying to figure out where my exhaust is blowing/leaking. Checking the manifold next week and also im booked in to solid fabrications on July 1st to get a super silent 2.5" cat back made which i'm looking forward to! still looking for a mugen bonnet too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by *nub* on Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By *nub*
FunkyRemix wrote:Mugen bonnet would look ace, do you not fancy some vented wings? 8-)
Mugen, or more likely replica mugen bonnet painted CW is top of the list right now but I'd rather wait for a 2nd hand one. There's so few of them, and even fewer colour coded I just think I'll look way more aggressive much like my BC EP3 bonnet did. I've never understood art but it's amazing how each of the body kit parts compliment eachother. [emoji3]

The side profile of the FN2 is a bit dull and lacking a bit, I do fancy some wings but I feel they stand out less than anything else, may be hard to fit and expensive if they require blending in

I know they're a bit wider and I think they may look better and more substantial in person; I've only seen them in pics and to me they look only marginally better than having normal non vented wings. In person I may change my mind and If some came up painted CW for a good price I may be tempted.

By *nub*
Got my Solid fab cat back done. Didn't get any great pictures but it's basically like a Tegiwa, but the main back box is even larger and then there's s decent sized silencer near the single exit pipe. The cat back is truly amazing to look at and in very pleased with it. In terms of volume he said it's the most quiet he's ever made. And it is really quiet but it's highlighted that I have sound escaping from the manifold area. The front of the car is now louder than the exhaust exit at the rear. And because by the mani it's yet to go through any silence rings it's quite a harsh high pitch sound. So my next thing to try and sort this is to buy a cheap toda replica EBay special. Being 1 piece, compared to my 4 piece tdi mani it should determine whether there was a seal problem at the flanges or not. If not I'll just sell it and make a small loss. If it solves it, and doesn't alter my map too bad I'll keep it on until I can find a second hand Tegiwa/toda. I have ES inserts and My only concern is that the tube thickness is 18 gauge (1.2mm). Does anyone know how thick Tegiwa or toda is ? Not worried about it cracking but his noisy/tinny it would be if it's too thin.
Even so my cat back is quieter and you can hear the charger coming in much earlier now. But the harsh sound near the mani area is what you can hear really, coming from just under the drivers window. In the video below, it's a cold start but it's quite clear that it's louder at the front than the back ! On warm idle it's absolutely silent though. I would imagine if it wasn't for my issue with the mani, this system is even quieter than toda, but far less restrictive being 2.5" and single exit. Not great pics but we all know what Alan's welding is like

ImageImage

Added in 5 minutes 16 seconds:
Vid on cold start to show the problem, the front of the car is louder than the exhaust exit !
https://vimeo.com/173291246

Warm idle it's usually silent, cheeky close up on supercharged badge which is the best btw:
https://vimeo.com/173291280

Random blurry pic. There's a mugen style bonnet for sale that I REALLY want but he needs a Milano red OEM in exchange and he's in Scotland FML. Anyone got a Milano OEM?[emoji30]

By *nub*
Vid on cold start to show the problem, the front of the car is louder than the exhaust exit !
https://vimeo.com/173291246

Warm idle it's virtually, cheeky close up on supercharged badge and you can hear the charge whine when I rev:
https://vimeo.com/173291280

Random blurry pic. There's a mugen style bonnet for sale that I REALLY want but he needs a Milano red OEM in exchange and he's in Scotland FML. Anyone got a Milano OEM?[emoji30]

By *nub*
Manifold was sorted by fitting an EBay special (£189.99). The tdi mani seemed fine when I took it off, it was probably the donut gasket leaking as it looked uneven. I've sold it now but I do regret not putting it back on in the future, I just couldn't swap it back over again and risk it being the same as I've spent so much labour doing it now! It doesn't seem to have altered the map too much as far as I can tell, exhaust resonates a bit at 2500rpm very briefly so I expect it's a flat spot or not 100% smooth but it climbs through the revs so quickly anyway. Later this year or early next year I plan to add a few mods and remap anyway to be honest.

Got some of these fitted today. Haven't really had a good test yet but they seem to give better feedback than the conti sport 5s.

ImageImage

Added in 3 minutes 30 seconds:
Oh and I didn't post my solid fab super silent 2.5". He said its the quietest one he's ever made. 3 silencers and you can hear the charger whine more prominently now. One day I'll make some good drive by vids.

ImageImage

https://vimeo.com/174857919

By *nub*
Haha cheers. Don't worry if nobody posts in here, forums in general are dying. It's the same on civinfo, there's about 5 of us posting in eachothers build threads haha.

By *nub*
Well well, I put lots of thought into this, as with everything in my car. I considered 3" a few times, I know id potentially gain 10bhp or more but decided against it. With forced induction, you lose any induction noise and there is only the engine noise, exhaust and in my case charger whine which is what makes my car unique and literally turns heads as people don't know what the hell it is. So I decided that I wanted to make the whine more prominent, by decreasing exhaust noise. Turbocharged exhausts sound pretty good with the screamer pipe, UEL header but mine doesn't have that obviously so otherwise the best 2.0 4cyl FN2 exhaust sounds alright but nothing amazing. My old tdi header actually sounded great on idle with the UEL creating a nice burble but that's gone sadly. Then there's the fact that some of the louder exhausts, like any 3", sound great and deep sporty tone on idle, but at 5000+ rpm they become too loud, 7000rpm even louder! And the fact is, high rpm does sound better and more fun! So if you're driving on public roads where people are about, or even other cars near you, you look and sound like a boy racer prat if you put your foot down. My charger whine can be heard faintly from 2000 but it begins to get louder at about 4000rpm and it increases in volume and pitch as the rpm goes up. So I want to be able to drive WOT at high rpm without the exhaust overwhelming my surroundings and generally sounding like a boy racer. Imagine an EP3 with spoon N1... I cannot do that anymore lol. But even an FN2 Tegiwa with a decat mani, driving WOT, high rpm might just about pass track limits but on public roads it's still pretty loud and drowns out some of the charger whine. the quietest 3" is still a bit louder than a Tegiwa.
So I planned to make this super silent solid fab 2.5", which aside from the fact it's on a decat mani, the number and size of the silencers mean its probably not much louder than an OEM cat back, yet gives the gains of a 2.5". on idle it's very very quiet and does not sound particularly great. But on the other hand it is now quiet enough that I can drive like a bellend at high rpm WOT, charger whine a few pops and bangs yet it's a more civilised note and not overbearing in volume. I know I'm 29 years old but I moved to an FN2 partly because it looks more modern and mature...it's so nice to be able to put your foot down a bit and not worry that your exhaust sounds too loud, uncivilised and sh-t.
I'm hoping a mugen vented bonnet would increase the charger whine even more so, although probably not loads. Even 10% would be great.
I'll get some driveby videos up when I can [emoji3]

By *nub*
Yes, I may have consumed something which I'm not willing to divulge but still not as long as some of yours John. Plus it is explaining my mod decisions, not tying to justify them. [emoji4]

By *nub*
I've just looked at your thread and it looks like we both need to make some driveby vids. You do need to choose a bigger road next time ;)

By Loxy
I know. My vid is crap. The launch one would have been OK but for the equipment.

Maybe we should meet up and film each other.

By Lewisgame
*nub* wrote:Well well, I put lots of thought into this, as with everything in my car. I considered 3" a few times, I know id potentially gain 10bhp or more but decided against it. With forced induction, you lose any induction noise and there is only the engine noise, exhaust and in my case charger whine which is what makes my car unique and literally turns heads as people don't know what the hell it is. So I decided that I wanted to make the whine more prominent, by decreasing exhaust noise. Turbocharged exhausts sound pretty good with the screamer pipe, UEL header but mine doesn't have that obviously so otherwise the best 2.0 4cyl FN2 exhaust sounds alright but nothing amazing. My old tdi header actually sounded great on idle with the UEL creating a nice burble but that's gone sadly. Then there's the fact that some of the louder exhausts, like any 3", sound great and deep sporty tone on idle, but at 5000+ rpm they become too loud, 7000rpm even louder! And the fact is, high rpm does sound better and more fun! So if you're driving on public roads where people are about, or even other cars near you, you look and sound like a boy racer twit if you put your foot down. My charger whine can be heard faintly from 2000 but it begins to get louder at about 4000rpm and it increases in volume and pitch as the rpm goes up. So I want to be able to drive WOT at high rpm without the exhaust overwhelming my surroundings and generally sounding like a boy racer. Imagine an EP3 with spoon N1... I cannot do that anymore lol. But even an FN2 Tegiwa with a decat mani, driving WOT, high rpm might just about pass track limits but on public roads it's still pretty loud and drowns out some of the charger whine. the quietest 3" is still a bit louder than a Tegiwa.
So I planned to make this super silent solid fab 2.5", which aside from the fact it's on a decat mani, the number and size of the silencers mean its probably not much louder than an OEM cat back, yet gives the gains of a 2.5". on idle it's very very quiet and does not sound particularly great. But on the other hand it is now quiet enough that I can drive like a bellend at high rpm WOT, charger whine a few pops and bangs yet it's a more civilised note and not overbearing in volume. I know I'm 29 years old but I moved to an FN2 partly because it looks more modern and mature...it's so nice to be able to put your foot down a bit and not worry that your exhaust sounds too loud, uncivilised and sh-t.
I'm hoping a mugen vented bonnet would increase the charger whine even more so, although probably not loads. Even 10% would be great.
I'll get some driveby videos up when I can [emoji3]

In short. You wanted a quieter exhaust over peak power. :lol:
By *nub*
Pretty much, but someone may benefit from my more extensive explanation. [emoji848]

https://vimeo.com/175122170

Added in 13 minutes 18 seconds:
Loxy wrote:I know. My vid is crap. The launch one would have been OK but for the equipment.

That's cool with me mate, you're about 250 miles away but I know a McDonald's about half way and there's a good 30mph road nearby. My equipment is only an iPhone 6s, which is obviously it's superior to any Samsung or android phone... Actually the camera is probably worse lulz [emoji846]

By *nub*
Loxy wrote:I know. My vid is crap. The launch one would have been OK but for the equipment.

That's cool with me mate, you're about 250 miles away but I know a McDonald's about half way and there's a good 30mph road nearby. My equipment is only an iPhone 6s, which is obviously it's superior to any Samsung or android phone... Actually the camera is probably worse lulz [emoji846]

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]