The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By *nub*
8-) So i'm copying this over from the other forum because i'm a big ASW mainly, but also I would like to get some more insight from the CTRO mongs. As CTRO is still my number one forum. Also it annoys me that I can't edit posts over there tbh. These first posts won;t make absolute sense as they've been copied over from a period of weeks and some posts/responses from other members are missing. Also imageshack images I upload don't seem to last very long. Photobucket does, but shrinks them all the time

So here's my new FN2 bought from Horizon last week, got the train there and over 5 hours driving back but it was totally worth it. Having had a Premier EP3 the last 6 years, i've never been very impressed by the looks of a standard FN2, been slagging it off for years, but having seen Predators Mugen 200 with full mugen bodykit and cars like TDi norths time attack FN2 I decided a while ago that a mugenised FN2 would be my next car. To my surprise, I found this CW looks so much better than I expected even with OEM bumpers, but mainly due to the Enkei PF01 alloys. They may not be to everyone's taste, and the black does not show well in photos at all but it transforms the car IMO with the aggressive spoke design. These weren't actually on the car and were being sold on EBay but I requested that Horizon put them back on and increase the price accordingly. I was very impressed by the condition of the car, 15 mins and I was out the door with the keys, probably the fastest car sale ever.

With my EP3 being 245bhp I knew I wanted something more i.e boosted.
So going back around 3 months ago now, having never even driven an FN2 and obviously I didn't even own one yet, I bought a CT engineering Supercharger with aftercooler on these forums (Thanks to Curtis) Did a lot of research on this charger and considering how rare they are, I had to buy it or I would not get another opportunity. So this will eventually go on the FN2 and I expect to make 340-350bhp and 230ftlbs of torque as it has done on several cars previously. Will get boost by gear setup on there eventually too.

Currently it's got FlashPro, RRC, Mugen TB and a milltek non resonated cat back, which is perfect with the OEM header/cat on but I suspect will be too loud with a decat. I'd guess it's around 215bhp or so, still need to upload the groupM map when I figure out how to do it.

So future plans will be a tegiwa cat back and header to compliment the charger, and a stage 1 or 2 clutch to handle the torque. Might get the alloys refurbed eventually as there's some chips. I'll be purchasing type R kits mugen grille, spoiler, front and rear splitters. Would like a mugen bonnet too if I can find one well priced.

So far i've fitted some NHB wing mirror caps bought from Loxy who I owe thanks to for answering my endless questions about the FN2 etc

Crap pics for now but you get the idea. thanks for reading, CSB

Also this arrived today, its an old school tdi north/XO/AAS header. As soon as I saw it, the long primaries appealed to me plus the lack of flexi which would have always been a worry as it could collapse at any time. My EP3 4-1 had long primaries and it surprisingly out performed all 4-2-1s such as dc sports, tegiwa etc so I wondered if this would be as successful. I will probably never know how it compares to other FN2 headers because I won't get it mapped again until it's got the supercharger on but i'm going to take a risk anyway. I actually did a lot of research and found a few somewhat negative reports (no dyno evidence) of them producing less midrange and torque than the likes of CPL header, but personally I think this was ******** and just speculation. Also i'm hoping the unequal length runners should in theory produce a bit of a rumble/burble, a bit like a subaru or tdi north turbo FN2 but perhaps not as prominent... if it doesn't then oh well :P

It won't be fitted until I can buy a tegiwa cat back, as it'll be too loud with my milltek unresonated. I've got a 4.7 JDM final drive on the way, plus my type R kits stuff arrived today and should be fitted next week

Small update. Got a JDM EP3 4.7 final drive from EBay, the seller turned out to be a CTRO member I know which was cool.
As I'm sure many know, the idea of getting a longer FD on a boosted car is to give some more drivability and traction in low gears. With up to 350bhp I expect to get full traction in 3rd in the dry. I remember my EP3 felt like 3rd was really long but it did pull very well with around 250bhp.

Last edited by *nub* on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
By *nub*
Here's a pic of my recently installed Type R kits spoiler. I feel it shows how the wing changes the side profile of the car. Makes it appear a bit longer, which it needs. because the FN2 is a fat ass space ship. my iPhone 5s 8MP camera couldn't handle the sunlight, so the pic clarity isn;t great.

The pic above is only the spoiler but I now have the Mugen/Fugen Grille, front splitter and rear splitter fitted but i'm waiting for a brighter day to take some decent pics once the car is clean and then i'll write a full review of the parts and my experience. Also my rear splitter needs another refit as my mechanic couldn't quite get it right first time. Not to say it isn't well designed, but it is difficult and the bonding process needs to be done correctly first time or you have to start over! However the car looks pretty awesome now IMO as you'll see when I upload pics!
By pdapaul
Looks awesome! I don't generally like the fn2 either, but certain ones like you've suggested float my boat, and yours looks good.
I might be reading your FD post incorrectly, but the FD is the same throughout all the gears and won't effect your gearing as suggested. The shorter ratios are down to the gears themselves not the FD.
Here's a good link for working out your potential ratios
http://www.teammfactory.com/gear-calculator
By *nub*
Maybe mate. I'm drunk right now hence making this thread at 2am but however it works, I was told the long metal part and the circular part will go in my FN2 had make the gears longer like an EP3. Unless you mean the JDM 4th and 5th bit is the gears not the FD ?
I've edited it now anyway but Tell me it does something useful [emoji23]
By pdapaul
:)
It does exactly what you said about lessening acceleration and giving higher speed in each gear. Fantastic mod, worth every penny
By mc36155
Think he meant that 350bhp would give traction issues in gears up to 3rd even if dry. The longer ratios may reduce this to just up to 2nd in dry, but yes it effects every gear but top 3 didn't have traction issues in the first place.. So not considered in post. Lol
By w6ady
Looks well nub get some more pics up when you can. Should be epic with the planned mods. :D I must admit fn2's in white look awesome especially with mugen parts on them.
By yella
like that, whites the only one that looks really good, to match the wing you need to invest in some flared front wings mugen style.
By *nub*
w6ady wrote:Looks well nub get some more pics up when you can. Should be epic with the planned mods. :D I must admit fn2's in white look awesome especially with mugen parts on them.
working on it. they're not real mugen though, it's type R kits. Not that you can tell the difference tbh
yella wrote:like that, whites the only one that looks really good, to match the wing you need to invest in some flared front wings mugen style.
I did think about them but they are the most risky in terms of colour match and fitment. Now i've seen the whole kit, I think fenders would compliment it really well. I'm also trying to imagine how a vented bonnet would affect the front end, as I very nearly bought one but couldn't justify the cost of respraying it at the time. Annoyingly most pics of mugenised champ whites don't have the fogs, they have the black scoop inserts which made it difficult for me to find other pics that would look the same as mine. As I said. i'll put some better pics up when it's brighter and clean (...sunny tomorrow?). In low light on the iphone 5s you can barely see the black wheels or any black parts and the car is dirty as flip but you can't even tell from a distance. For now this will have to do.. you'll have to zoom in or expand the pics if you wanna see any detail. actually right click and open image URL in new tab works best

By N77
FN2 look miles better with the mugen stuff on it, that was the plan with mine until I changed it.

Get some closer pics though or don't you want your neighbours to see you taking pics of your car [emoji38]
By *nub*
I sleep with a teddy bear yeah my photography skills are lacking. I zoomed in on the above on my iPhone (i did say zoom in!)
ImageImageImageImage

:LOL:
By *nub*
Loxy wrote:In for updates.

Mainly charged updates.
Bought this iPhone sync and charger cable to put in my car so I can keep the phone charged whilst driving. Only cost £1 from pound land, "improved quality" and the lady on the pic seems super happy about it so can't go wrong really.

ImageImage
By *nub*
The Rays have been sold, they went to a guy in Belgium who seems to appreciate JDM wheels so I'm pleased about that. They were 17"s so I wasn't sure if they would look right, wasn't sure about the red lip on a white car either. the finish on the Rays was better and the spoke design was awesome. These PF01s et50 probably weigh about the same, maybe less even being 18" and still really like them. Difficult to get any clear pics of black alloys but IRL they look good. Only alloy I think looks better is CE28ns in black or TA edition but it's down to opinion really
By Loxy
*nub* wrote:
Loxy wrote:In for updates.

Mainly charged updates.
Bought this iPhone sync and charger cable to put in my car so I can keep the phone charged whilst driving. Only cost £1 from pound land, "improved quality" and the lady on the pic seems super happy about it so can't go wrong really.

[ Image ][ Image ]
Wow, she really is super happy about having a charged phone.

The packaging is a bit too pink IMHO, but each to their own.
By 160mph_boy
Similar to whats already been said! Not really an fnpoo ahemmm fn2 fan :mrgreen: but they look much more cosmetically appealing with the Mugen gear on em!!!!!!!
By nige t
Cars coming along very nicely,looking good 8-)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]