The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By Simple Simon
Hi guys,

About time I made a thread on here really! I've stolen most of this from ek9.org so it hasn't happened all overnight! I've had the car a few months now. :-D

You may remember my DC2 which I has imported last year and unfortunately wrote off on the way to Japfest. If not here it is before the crash.

And afterwards...

Miss the car everyday as it was such a perfect example

So anyways, I've been out of the country for the last 7 months with the navy and got back a few weeks ago. First priority was to get a new car of course! I did really want another import if it was either an EK9 or another DC2, but couldn't get insured, understandably.

So opted for an EP3 as the insurance wasn't as bad I was expecting with all things considered. So I got this silver premier edition a few weeks back for a decent price. (Excuse the dirtiness off the car, still waiting for a load of cleaning products to come through the post!)

It seems though that I don't have much luck with cars! I hadn't even had the car 24 hours and parked it in a retail park and some idiot drove into my front wing!!

So the car will be going into have the whole front end addressed as the bonnet has a million and one stone chips as well! haha

In the meantime the car came standard so I have done a couple of things. First off purchased a brand new set of JDM wind deflectors, probably the last set available as well seeing that Honda don't make or sell these anymore and you can't even get them from Japan! Haven't fitted them yet, will be done once the car is cleaned.

Bought myself a nearly new exhaust the other week as well...awesome sound and looks quality!

Fitting it was bit awkward as it was touching the underside of the car the majority of the time. So took it to an exhaust garage who managed to get it sitting correctly and fits perfectly now. Just as well I did change it, this is what the b-pipe looked like...right dodgy work!!

Looks good from the rear bumper though.

So a few days after that this came through the post as well!!

Bit disappointed as the courier company managed to damage one of the bolt holes!

Fitting was a nightmare!! Had to relocate the cable for the battery's positive side and remove the battery tray. It kept on hitting the bonnet as well, so we had to play around with the spacers to get it to fit.

Damage to the front end after the damage done in the car park has been fixed. Got a good quote for a front end respray and the car needed it with sooo many stone chips anyway, so went for it!
They've done a really good job and you can't tell where its been blended in so really happy! :dance: The repaired bumper and wing:

And the resprayed front end.

Unfortunately a few days late someone decided they would put a nice long scratch in my wing! Luckily I got the worst of it out with a DA polisher, but still, a ball ache after forking out for it to be resprayed!

Finally fitted my JDM wind deflectors after about 2 months sitting in the garage.
Clips were useless so just used the tape. lol

Spooner did me a nice J's Teal rocker cover with a bit of gold flake as well. In the light it looks awesome!

Last edited by Simple Simon on Thu May 07, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Simple Simon
Also picked up some Yellow Speed coilovers for a decent price, all stripped down now and need fitting soon.

A few mates of mine bought me the Tegiwa engine bay washer kit for my birthday that you can see in the pictures. Still need to fit over half of them but can't figure out where they are all meant to go! lol

So I've done a couple of things to the car recently and bought a few things as well. First up was the brakes, felt terrible and were squealing like crazy. Si over at Hendy sorted me out with a great deal some Project Mu pads. :)) I went for their less aggressive pads (NC 400) as I am still using the using the car as a daily for the time being so no need for anything too drastic. These are obviously a lot better from the OEM items I had and they do stop really well from cold, although I'm interested now to see what the next best ones are like! haha Didn't get any pictures of them on the car but just a picture of them out the box.

I still need to change the brake fluid and would like the callipers refurbed as well but this can all be done at a latter date.

So I had been in the process of stripping down my Yellow Speed coilovers and it came to the last two collars. I just couldn't budge them! Took the to a mate who had a vice and we both tried to loosen them to no avail! So gave up and took them to a garage. Hadn't really looked at them after having them in the vice but wish I had now. Turns out we actually managed to bend the bracket and also somehow bent the shock itself! In all honesty I really don't know how we managed this as I'm sure we didn't put it in the vice upside down. Luckily spares are readily available from Tegiwa so a new shock assembly and mounting bracket are in the post.

Onto more positive things, I received a nice little bonus from work this month so decided to treat my self a little bit.:p Came home today to be greeted with this in the living room...

Any guesses on what wheels I've bought?

Couldn't resist Driftworks new prices on the Work wheels!

And the actual product...

Also in the box was a new steering wheel, OEM on is pretty tired and always loved the Personal wheels

Awesome instructions with the boss!

Finally, had my BNIB rear camber arms and front camber bolts turn up as well, got them for a great price seeing as they had never been used!

My replacement shock turned up for the Yellow Speed's, you can see in the second photo just how bent the bracket was! The piston itself was bent as well but was too hard to picture it so just left it out.

Also ordered some tyres yesterday and turned up next day.

Thats everything up to date, hopefully have the coilovers on by the weekend So current plans are tofit the coilovers and camber arms and get it in for alignment. Will update this once thats all done. Also ordering some more suspension parts as well over the next week or so, LCA, subframe brace ARB's & drop links, Buddy Club RCA's, Track rod ends and some shortened track rods from Area Motorsport. :-D

Thanks for reading. (Apologies for some of the pictures being the wrong way round)
By SurreyEP3
I've read your old integra thread on-line before and seen the crash images on another forum.
You've picked up nice premier edition mate, updates are coming along nicely too. I'm currently doing all of my suspension bits before a FRSU so also looking at buddyclub RCA, bushes, track rod ends etc.
Are you going to track it this year?

Jake :bigthumb:
By Simple Simon
SurreyEP3 wrote:I've read your old integra thread on-line before and seen the crash images on another forum.
You've picked up nice premier edition mate, updates are coming along nicely too. I'm currently doing all of my suspension bits before a FRSU so also looking at buddyclub RCA, bushes, track rod ends etc.
Are you going to track it this year?

Cheers mate, yeh I posted it around a number of forums and was surprised by most of the support from the community, very few people gave me any stick about it.

Currently in the middle of getting the coilovers on now, should be finished by tomorrow (one of the bolts is a bit seized in and may snap!)

Had a chat with Rob over at Area Motorsport about suspension components. I would recommend their shortened track rods which also have extended thread so you don't run out of toe adjustment. Ordered a set during the week so should be here next week sometime. Still need to order a rack raiser, track rod ends & RCA and then ready for FRSU once all fitted. :WOOT

See you're over in West Sussex, who you using for your FRSU? Im in Havant and TGM are only 30 minutes away but they are always so busy! haha

Won't be tracking it this year as it has to be my daily for the minute (can't afford 2 insurance policies after my accident) but next year when I have a daily beater! :-D :-D :-D
By SurreyEP3
Seized bolts are killer, I had trouble with my rear drivers side lower damper bolt. Took a good 3 hours of heating, penetrating fluids etc I bought a replacement from Honda for like £4 as I didn't want to reuse it after I'd smashed socket bits onto it lol.

I will email them Monday about the shorter ends, I've read a few times there a really good bit of kit and there great for achieving great FRSU settings. I haven't order my other bits yet like the raiser, rca, caster bushes but I'm speaking with Stevie at eight speed about it all on Monday.

My misses has lots of family up north in Stoke on Trent so it's a win win for me as she can spend the day with her family and I can go to eight speed for the FRSU.

I'd like to do 1-3 track days this year then book the Nurburgring for this time next year. Brands hatch is only 30 mins from me so will most probably go there

By lennybubble
Im west sussex, chichester, just had tgm do springs, arms, bolts and frsu very happy with there work tom is happy chat away bout stuff he must get asked 1000s of times,, I would recommend
By Simple Simon
SurreyEP3 wrote:Seized bolts are killer, I had trouble with my rear drivers side lower damper bolt. Took a good 3 hours of heating, penetrating fluids etc I bought a replacement from Honda for like £4 as I didn't want to reuse it after I'd smashed socket bits onto it lol.

I will email them Monday about the shorter ends, I've read a few times there a really good bit of kit and there great for achieving great FRSU settings. I haven't order my other bits yet like the raiser, rca, caster bushes but I'm speaking with Stevie at eight speed about it all on Monday.

My misses has lots of family up north in Stoke on Trent so it's a win win for me as she can spend the day with her family and I can go to eight speed for the FRSU.

I'd like to do 1-3 track days this year then book the Nurburgring for this time next year. Brands hatch is only 30 mins from me so will most probably go there

Yeh exact same bolt was stuck in there on mine! Left over night, this morning it just breezed out! :-D haha

As for the track rods, I'll post some pictures up when I get them , although they do only have one set for sale after I purchased mine (not sure how often they make them) Same with me, getting all the extras like rack raiser, new track rods ends and RCA's next week.

So coilovers and camber arms are on along with my new wheels and rubber! :D Found a place just down the road that run a "rent a ramp" service which is an absolute god send! haha No real dramas with it, a few bolts needed heating up but none snapped and obviously it isn't handling great just yet as it still needed aligning.

Had a bit of time before heading out so decided to see what the wheels weigh...

Not exactly light at a little under 10kg, but then again they aren't forged

Off to the workshop fully loaded up

Rear coilovers on with the camber arms

Test fit of the wheels once the coilovers were on

And all done and back home

I know the camber and height are totally off but its a general idea of what it will look like.

Also at it's current height I can't park on my drive way as the exhaust catches, I wouldn't say its all that low either. :nono: So I have been subjected to park outside the front of the house lol

I'll be at Japfest next week, but haven't got a pass for it so just going through the general public entrance. Probably see a few of you there. :bigthumb:

Thanks for reading
By Simple Simon
jdw88rm wrote:Really like this Si! Lots of lads in the Navy have CTRs... good to see another!
Cheets mate, but tbh Ive never seen another CTR on any of the bases (Portmouth, Plymouth & Faslane)! haha In all honesty Ive not met many people in the navy who are into cars and if they are they don't modify them. Only a few lads who are into the VW scene.
By Simple Simon
jdw88rm wrote:I've seen a fair few round Plymouth, fassers and the units! Yeh a lot of VWs too
Huh, I need to keep my eye out more! I've only ever seen one ek9 up in Faslane for like 10 seconds as it drove by. haha

So my exhaust is scraping on EVERYTHING! lol I won't be running this low once I have the geo set up, but a mate of mine said his was a little better once he had a different manifold on. Anyone know if this would help? This is me parked up outside the front of my house on the curb and the clearance the B pipe has! :eek:

By SurreyEP3
Great work this weekend mate, What's the ride like on the coilovers? After reading this thread on Friday I done some reading on project mu pads, what is the initial feel on yours? I know there not bedding in yet but still :-D

Wheels look great mate, I'm going to order some federal tires when I pick my new wheels up in the next 2 weeks.

By Simple Simon
SurreyEP3 wrote:Great work this weekend mate, What's the ride like on the coilovers? After reading this thread on Friday I done some reading on project mu pads, what is the initial feel on yours? I know there not bedding in yet but still :-D

Wheels look great mate, I'm going to order some federal tires when I pick my new wheels up in the next 2 weeks.

Cheers man, as like any job it took much longer than you would anticipate. :rotflmao:
Coilovers feel pretty decent already, I haven't set them up too solid just yet (12 clicks front 8 rear). Just went with what Yellow Speed recommend on initial installation, will be much better once set up. :mrgreen:

Project Mu pads are awesome! I went with their intermediate compound, so better than OEM but not quite as a good as say Ferodo's. As your's is a track car you'll want to go with the HC800 pads which are designed for track use. Obviously I haven't tried them but they are meant to be better than Ferodos, personal opinion I suppose.

I will keep an eye out on your thread for the wheels :-D As for the Federals, I got mine off of eBay. I wouldn't normally as I don't generally trust it but a mate recommended them. I got 4 new ones for £310 including Free next day delivery!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If you're not comfortable with that try "Oponeo", cheapest I have found! :bigthumb:

Will take a read through your thread in a bit as well.
By SurreyEP3
If and when I get some Coilovers I'd have to pay for damper control ones as the back lanes here are killer for solid suspension. Have them soft for the commuting and firm them up at the track.

The OE spec pagid discs and pads I'm using at the moment with braided hoses and ate superglue fluid feels good for driving normally and the odd blast down the lanes but I think track would kill them so would definitely buy track spec compound pads to swap when I get there.

I've just seen the tyres at the £310 deal, I've bought from them before with a previous car so will use them again :bigthumb:. I've done a fair bit on mine in the 6 months I've had but I'm not going down the £7K plus I've spent before on cars :lol: I will build it to a nice daily track car that's got the best of both worlds.

By Simple Simon
So Japfest was awesome at the weekend! :D Really I'm just glad I got there in one piece this year. :lol: But some seriously nice cars and a lot of them!

Managed to get my personal wheel in, the hkb boss was a bit of a pig and the horn needed filing down a bit but it's all on there. Think I might get the cowl dipped in carbon effect as it looks a bit odd now.

A friend of a friend also got these rolling shots on the way home. :mrgreen:

By Simple Simon
SurreyEP3 wrote:steering wheel looks the dogs bits mate :cool: gutted i couldnt make it to jap fest this year !

rolling shots look mate and also the wheels really suit the car :bigthumb:

jake
Thanks man, feels lovely compared to leather! :mrgreen:
Was an awesome event, so much to see I don't really think I got to see every stand tbh and missed a fair bit of the cars on track. But none the less will be going back for sure! :smile:
EJ Eire wrote:That looks seriously tidy now, nice job! You've set the ride height a bit better now? Looks much better now.
Thank you! :-D I've reduced the negative camber on the rears and they not sit almost perfectly. Fronts need some tweaking but I don't think I'll need any spacers (hopefully)

Cars in this weekend to have modified track rods, new track rod ends, rack raiser and RCA's fitted and then next Tuesday over to TGM for an alignment. Can't wait till it handles properly on the coilovers! :-D
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]