The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
I'm still currently at the 'ring so the GoPro footage will have to wait until tomorrow evening but I managed to squeeze an 8 min 02.42 out of her today with traffic using Harrys lap timer Grand Prix Edition.

It was easily a sub 8 lap damn those cars!

I have still got 4 laps for tomorrow morning so i'll see if I can get that first EP3 sub 8.

As far as I'm aware Dany Czech 8 min 15 was the fastest EP3 to lap the Nordschleife to date so I think I may now have YouTube bragging rights with my little 229bhp machine.

Until Partyvan gets out here anyway......

Video tomorrow evening.
I've uploaded 3 videos on my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC99Vd4 ... slSHMm2-4Q the one 8 min 02 and two others chasing a Porsche GT3 and turbo and a M3 schirmer spec car.

We arrived late Thursday afternoon and due to a bank holiday it was packed! I got a flying lap in late afternoon/evening just as a sighting lap, specifically to see any new tarmac and check out the new Flugplatz.

Here is a shot of one of the groups on the way down through the Nederlands.

Its now pretty fast although I didn't ever quite nail it. I completed 14 laps over the 2 and a bit days mostly in the early mornings and evening when it was least busy (which was a rarity this weekend).

I would say I had around 8 of them relatively quick where the rest were either warm up laps or way too busy.

Thursday and Friday were good days for the Youtubers due to the track being closed pretty regularly. I saw a couple of GT4's creamed in at Eiscurve and an E92 M3 at Stefan Beloff essess.

Saturday was a good day and it seemed that the crashing was at a minimum, although I obviously could of missed all the action. My quick lap was set on the 5th lap of the day after my rear Direzzas had got plenty of heat into them. The car was pretty good maybe I could of softened the rear dampening very slightly for the SB essess due to have two oversteer moments in about 20m at 110mph.

A sub 8 is easily on with my car, in fact, the last corner probably lost me almost all of that 2 seconds. I ran out of time and too many cars so I called it a day and settled for my time. Even if the stopwatch said 8:02 I know that it was probably a 7 min 55 is lap. I know that doesn't count but i'm happy in the knowledge.

After her performance she deserved a rest.

As usual the guys I met were friendly and up for a chat which just makes the place more awesome.

Just a few of my favs I saw about the place.

To the lap, Iike I said earlier I could of gone faster, this was due to me being a bit scruffy in a few corners and a few places I lifted where it wasn't necessary. A few more fast laps would of cured that but with only 14 laps under my belt in the EP3 I'm happy to put in the fastest time and I was still safe, I wasn't pushing 10/10ths (close but not quite) especially on a TF where its so easy to crash into somebody else.

The lap.

https://youtu.be/bDjQzPFRksc

Cheers.
Traffic was pretty rubbish this weekend. Thats why I didn't better my 8 min 02 on that lap.

I run the Area Motorsport Yellowspeed track coilover set up. I've got 0 toe on the rear to help the car turn in better. It does make it lively with cold tyres though. I wouldn't setup the rear like that unless you like oversteer.
It's a standard final drive mate, the only gearbox stuff I've done is a MFactory plated LSD, new exedy clutch and Fidanza lightweight flywheel.

The only real rear end moment I had was through the Belloff ss when the rear stepped out twice. Apart from that it's a very stable car unless you provoke it, unless the rear tyres are cold then you best be awake!
The Nordschleife is a funny one, at UK circuits a good driver with poor circuit knowledge can still be fairly quick but your speed ramps up very quickly with laps completed. The 'ring is a completely different beast though, an average driver with good track knowledge is going to be fairly quick compared to the good driver without track knowledge. That track knowledge takes an age to gain, even though I know which way the track goes and i know the elevation changes and camber etc, I don't know where all the small bumps are that will take you off line or where all the tarmac changes are that and give you more/less grip etc.

That's why I love the place, its such a challenge.

When I did my sub 8 in my standard Leon Cupra 280 I had completed 50 laps so knew enough to be able to start to push around there. Even though it was cold, I only think I could get another 5 or so seconds if I went again in that car now.

The EP3 is different, although I was nearly 3 seconds slower than the 280, the amount of traffic I had was far worse and I only got 14 laps (only around 8 of them were fast) so if I had 280 traffic I genuinely believe that a sub 7:50 BTG is possible with my setup and no traffic.

I have the Nordschleife addiction bad.

No traffic, good joke... :Kikik:
Thanks very much. The EP3 is pretty quick, it does make quite a difference being stripped though.

I've been following your thread nub and she looks awesome. I bet yours must be pretty damn quick around a track if you take her there.
Mr_gangrel wrote:Thanks very much. The EP3 is pretty quick, it does make quite a difference being stripped though.

I've been following your thread nub and she looks awesome. I bet yours must be pretty damn quick around a track if you take her there.
Haha maybe but I've no real experience driving fast I'm afraid. Dude just imagine if yours had full bolt ons and tdi drop in cams? 270bhp and a 5.1 or 5.4 FD... What lap time could you achieve then ? [emoji41]
Fair enough.

Another 40 bhp and a sub 7:45 BTG would be on the cards if you had a clear lap. The car really lacks go from Bergwerk to the Karrussel and some of the other steep elevation changes. Then you're in the realms of proper giant killer.

I like your thinking.
Such a good lap mate! I've been speaking to you on Pistonheads "jayk12". I'm looking to go sometime this year and put some laps in. Will be interesting to see what I can achieve, need to do some track days to get a feel for her before I go ring.

Where you any chance about on Sunday in it from A5 Shrewsbury to Buildwas?
Hi mate, to answer you PH question I run DZ03G H1 on the rear as well. I just do a gentle warm up lap to get heat into the rears otherwise she is all oversteery.

I did a couple of days at Brands as a shakedown and to get a feel of her on the limit.

With 295bhp and almost an identical setup you'll be smashing those 7 minute somethings mate. Good luck to you.

Not me mate, I live down South.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]