The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
Today I went and got my car from Eurospec after they had fitted and mapped a RBC onto the car.

After I finished Brands the brakes definitely felt worse for wear and you could hear them rub even off the brakes so they were binding. I thought this was a build up of pad material and would gradually wear away.

This wasn't the case and Ben rung me to tell me that the pistons maybe seized and I needed new discs due to scoring. Then started the hunt for track options. Ceri put some ideas out for Dixcel or Project Mu discs but if I needed new pads for the discs and new callipers I might as well get a BBK.

To that end I contacted a few suppliers only one could get me the Stoptech 328mm BBK by the 6th July for my next track day and that was Stevie at Eightspeed. These should be good enough to deal with the heat especially because I have ordered some Pagid RS29 pads to go with them. I've tried these pads and others before and these last continual beasting around the 'ring lap after lap without any fade, phenomenal pads.

Rob at Area is supplying the 15mm hub centric spacers so that the brakes have plenty of clearance.

I spoke to Romain about the power output and he said the car didn't feel right on the dyno. This could be down to the binding brakes or the geo on the car or a bit of both. After driving it i'm confident its probably the brakes, they feel worse than when I dropped it off from memory. So my measly 229bhp is probably a few horses down from its actual figure.

One last thing to note is that although I have a Tegiwa cat back I got pulled at Brands on the drive by although I was 94dBs on static (a lot of people also got pulled, they seemed particularly stringent) so I had to buy an exhaust baffle.

I'm not a fan of these usually due to unwanted pressures that could cause issues. So I asked Romain to do a dyno run after he mapped my car to see the effect and to see if its safe to go on track with it on.

It turns out I lose around 10bhp at the top of the rev range and 4dBs and although not perfect is ok for track use. He said he doesn't usually find that these baffles are safe but this one on my car was ok.

On the graph blue is without the baffle and red is with baffle.

By Mr_gangrel
These came today.

Stopech 328mm BBK tomorrow.

Due to running standard wheels, 20mm spacers will put the track and ET to the same as the cup cars on Rotas.
By Mr_gangrel
And...these came today.

Pagid RS29 come tomorrow, I won't fit these til Monday, then its Brands again on Tuesday for a final shakedown with all the mods in place.
By Mr_gangrel
So these came today and its the last thing i'll buy this year.

I may of mentioned I've had these before on my Alcon superkit BBK on my e92 M3 and the stopping power, consistency, lack of fade and pedal feel are brilliant. Granted the setup was good and i'm expecting the same with this package.

I've tried Endless MA45B endurance brake pads which cost £650 before (for front pads only!). They lasted 20 laps of the 'ring and were shot on my Seat Leon Cupra 280, mostly due to having single pot sliding callipers and the lack of heat dissipation. They were good with great bite and feel but didn't last.

The RS29 on the m3 were hardly touched after hooning around in a 1600kg car on the 'ring lap after lap. Thats why I went back to them.
By Mr_gangrel
Today this happened.

Also got a pretty tasty sunburn spending hours trying to get the shims right. :Cries:

Bedding in over the next couples days and Brands next week. I'll report back if they're awesome.

I expect so.
By D4Z3D
ill vouch for them :-D , i just did 83 laps of knockhill with the stoptech road pads on and there was no fade what so ever. With rs29's they will rip your face clean out of its mountings
By Mr_gangrel
Somewhat late but I went to Brands again in July and the brakes were spot on. I completed 65 laps and had no issues, no fade and consistent feel all day. Well worth the money.

I managed a 56.3 secs probably due to just getting more laps under my belt more than the brakes. Thats with 219bhp with the baffle.

I did have one issue though, due to having to put a exhaust baffle on (and now the brakes just go on and on so I didn't stop) I melted my rear bumper pretty badly as well as the offside rear light cluster. This was due to the baffle blowing the heat back into the body. I'll get some photos in a bit.

The Nordschleife trip got binned due to issues at the time in Calais. Already booked the May day bank holiday for 2016 so plenty of time to get the car ready. The first sub 8 min EP3 mission will resume then.

In the meantime i've got a few things to do, mostly preventative maintenance but I would quite like to ge some aero on the car as well.

Definite-

Mfactory Gearbox refresh, carbon synchros etc
MFactory 5.46 final drive
All fluids change
Timing chain & tensioner etc
Valve clearence
New road tyres Prob Michelin PSS for use in the wet

Nice to have-

Mugen lip
Stuke front splitter
Stuke Canards
Stuke rear diffuser
Stuke side skirts
Mugen adjustable spoiler
Rear bumper (non melted)
Skunk2 LCA

229bhp with a bit of aero, better acceleration and Dunlop DZ03G will get my sub 8. If not, drop in cams, my RBC ported to 70mm and tb will have to bought.

Obviously I could learn to drive faster but i'm proud and rather make the car faster. :LOL:
By Mr_gangrel
Yeah, full of heroes as usual. Typically its The brit driver who don't know how to follow the German rules who crash.

I've been a few time on Bank holidays, its full of awesome cars but mega busy. Early morning is where I get my quick laps in.
By Lewisgame
Too right, I felt sorry for the German locals as it was mainly British cars crashing and closing the track. I got my good laps in early mornings and on one day a small window where the track dried for a few hours before raining again.
By D4Z3D
Hiya,

I will be well impressed if you get a < 8 min run in an ep3, fastest i've seen on youtube is an 8:15 by Dancy CTR, an endurance racer who ran that time in a 257 bhp ep3, 5.1 fd shod with 235 semi slick rubber all round.

Still it's good to have a goal :D , mine is just to get there next year, and not crash :lol:
By Lewisgame
I think sub 8:30 is achievable with a clear run BTG and a good set up. I managed 8:45 on road tyres and some traffic. Sub 8 is ambitious. I think you'd need to be turbo/supercharged to make up the time on the straights and up the hills.
By D4Z3D
Fastest guy about at the moment (well on youtube) as dany has long since moved on from CTRs is a guy alias "vtecinside" who runs a very similar spec to yours, infact its even a silver one :lol: .

I've seen him do an 8:18 BGT:

By Mr_gangrel
I will struggle from Bergwerk to the Karrusel but I've done a sub 8 in a standard Seat Leon Cupra 280 with cup 2s and the EP3 has very similar straight line performance to the 280 up to around 120mph at a guess.

The CTR is defo faster around the bends though.

Yeah, it will be tight and i'll need a clean run (which is never guaranteed, in fact its bloody hard to get) but I'm feeling it especially with a higher final drive I think it will give me the extra acceleration i'll need.
By D4Z3D
Mr_gangrel wrote:I will struggle from Bergwerk to the Karrusel but I've done a sub 8 in a standard Seat Leon Cupra 280 with cup 2s and the EP3 has very similar straight line performance to the 280 up to around 120mph at a guess.

The CTR is defo faster around the bends though.

Yeah, it will be tight and i'll need a clean run (which is never guaranteed, in fact its bloody hard to get) but I'm feeling it especially with a higher final drive I think it will give me the extra acceleration i'll need.
That is a seriously nice time! However i am surprised at the 280, i thought to be honest that a ctr in any state of tune wouldn't see which way that thing went, especially at the ring with all the hills
By Mr_gangrel
It will be harder in the CTR due to the lack of torque and the right gear is crucial but I had a DSG 280 whilst incredibly quick on the upshifts, it also shifted itself when it got to the redline even in manual mode which caused delays when in the wrong gear, also it wouldn't always downshift when asked. I wasn't trying to smash it past the redline either.

I should add that the 280 time was in early April and it was 2 degrees C (it snowed the day before) on semi slicks and generating heat was a nightmare. They don't like low temps. If It was May weather I think I would go 5 or so seconds quicker at least, with a few more laps around 7min 50 would of been possible. The 280 brakes were cooked as well. I've got Stoptechs on Pagid RS29 so fade isn't an issue.
By Mr_gangrel
Well, its been a while and I haven't actually done anything to the car apart from change the oil and filter. Still got to bleed the brakes and slightly change the geo for next months 'ring trip.

I've eventually uploaded some laps of my last outing at Brands Indy. I've looked at the timing again and I did a 56.6 not a 56.3 like I thought for some reason.

https://youtu.be/EkGC1ahIMTc
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]