The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
Hi all

Yesterday I finally had a spare Saturday to get the car ready for the nasty winter ahead. I got to my unit about 7am to start, I didn't take millions of pictures because you've all seen my 50/50 shots and my phone was charging upstairs.

I started with cleaning the wheels, tires, liners and rubbers. The wheels and tires were easy to clean as I only winter prepped them a few weeks back. The liners and rubbers took a good scrub to remove the old dressing and the surface grudd, Once they were "naked" I applied aerospace 303 sealant to them to see them through the weather.

I started with the usual rinse / snow foam / citrus spray then agitate the crevasses / re rinse / de-tar & de-iron (TRIX) / re rinse / snow foam again and then the good old 2 bucket method. I leave the snow foam on when washing because it's the safest way to wash the car as you have maximum lubriaction with the dirt, which means less chance off creating swirls and scratches. I use ph neutral snow foam and in my buckets/wash mitt I use chemical guys mr pinks mixed with maxi suds shampoo. I re-foamed the car and clayed it, it wasn't bad at all just a few bits on the usual areas, rear bumper and door areas.

I dried the car off and compounded the headlights as they seemed a little hazy again, they came out much better and the light out seems crisper again.

I bought the car inside where I air dried the shuts and crevasses to ensure a completely dry car, nothing more annoying then compounding a door and a run of water appears from the rubber trim or something similar :x

I corrected the paint with 3m extra fine on a white hex logic pad and then refined/polished the car with menzerna sf4000 on a black menzerna pad. I then wiped the car down with IPA solution to remove the residue and oils from the correction stages. I applied 2 coats of jet seal 109 sealant with the DA and a black 3M polishing/finishing pad to both the paint and all the glass, I left each coat for 45 minutes and then buffed off. For my LSP I applied 2 layers of collinite 476 by hand and left for 1 hour.

Sealant curing

Glass clean

Finished car

I wiped the car down again with a quick detailed incase any wax residue was hiding and then I dressed the plastic trims that I had taped off and clean the glass inside.

Quite pleased with the wet look and depth of the paint, luckily we had tonnes of rain in the southeast all evening and last night/morning so I was happy to go outside in the wet/cold to admire my work/beeding this morning.

I always put off detailing my own car for some reason but I really enjoyed it this time.

Till next time 8-)
Last edited by SurreyEP3 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
darren4 wrote:Car's transformed into something else, look forward to seeing it on the road in the future :)
Thank you Darren, it's no show queen but it's a hell of a lot better than when I first got her. I hope to see the s3 around one day , I will be returning to another edition 30 or maybe s3 by the end of the year, just waiting for an offer on a house to be accepted then give it a few months and I'll be back with the K04 VAG gang. The plan was never to keep the civic this long, when I sold my edition 30 in 2014 to buy our house I told my myself I'd 100% have a edition 30 or s3, dependant on spec mileage my Xmas 2016!
SurreyEP3 wrote:
darren4 wrote:Car's transformed into something else, look forward to seeing it on the road in the future :)
Thank you Darren, it's no show queen but it's a hell of a lot better than when I first got her. I hope to see the s3 around one day , I will be returning to another edition 30 or maybe s3 by the end of the year, just waiting for an offer on a house to be accepted then give it a few months and I'll be back with the K04 VAG gang. The plan was never to keep the civic this long, when I sold my edition 30 in 2014 to buy our house I told my myself I'd 100% have a edition 30 or s3, dependant on spec mileage my Xmas 2016!
I really should update my signature :lol:, my wife has the edition 30 and i now have since last month my white dc5 :).

Hopefully the house sorts itself out and you can be back in the big turbo world :), S3 are much more bland to drive mind :( would defo take the ed30 all day
darren4 wrote:
SurreyEP3 wrote:
I really should update my signature :lol:, my wife has the edition 30 and i now have since last month my white dc5 :).

Hopefully the house sorts itself out and you can be back in the big turbo world :), S3 are much more bland to drive mind :( would defo take the ed30 all day
I always fancied the s3, I know a guy who has a s3 8p sportback 3 door dsg. he said when he bought it back in 2013 it was 1 of only 4 in the country at that spec or something, maybe it was to do with the year/model cross over, I can't remember. I like the more luxury of the audi but I loved my edition 30 more than life itself, I will definitely buy another mk5 over the audi. Plus there cheaper to buy :lol:

How is the dc5 compared to the k04 turbo, cdl engine + AWD?

Added in 1 minute 43 seconds:
:devil:
1812_s wrote:car looks stunning ;) ....i really need to give mine a deep clean
Thanks man! The inside is the complete opposite :roll: muddy shoes this time of year :lol:
SurreyEP3 wrote:Hi mate, I got it from hobby craft. About £8 a tin, I used approx 4-5 tins iirc. messy stuff but made so much differance to the interior 8-)
Hey man any chance of posting a few pics of the interior im curious how the roof liner/black pillars look now, sounds deecent!
jack1991 wrote:
SurreyEP3 wrote:Hi mate, I got it from hobby craft. About £8 a tin, I used approx 4-5 tins iirc. messy stuff but made so much differance to the interior 8-)
Hey man any chance of posting a few pics of the interior im curious how the roof liner/black pillars look now, sounds deecent!
Hey man I'll take some tomorrow for you, busy in the morning with containers but will post in the afternoon :)
SurreyEP3 wrote:
darren4 wrote:
SurreyEP3 wrote:

I always fancied the s3, I know a guy who has a s3 8p sportback 3 door dsg. he said when he bought it back in 2013 it was 1 of only 4 in the country at that spec or something, maybe it was to do with the year/model cross over, I can't remember. I like the more luxury of the audi but I loved my edition 30 more than life itself, I will definitely buy another mk5 over the audi. Plus there cheaper to buy :lol:

How is the dc5 compared to the k04 turbo, cdl engine + AWD?

Added in 1 minute 43 seconds:
:devil:
1812_s wrote:car looks stunning ;) ....i really need to give mine a deep clean
Thanks man! The inside is the complete opposite :roll: muddy shoes this time of year :lol:
The edition 30 is a nice car, but the dc5 is the opposite tbh. So much more raw and lively then the s3, scrabbles for grip mind but oh well lol
jack1991 wrote:Top man [emoji1360]i appreciate that! Ment to ask you ages ago when you first posted it but forgot.

Was it a pain in the ass to take off pillars and roof liner too?
pictures now uploaded for you bud, excuse my filthy interior I havent detailed it for a while :?

Added in 20 seconds:
Leezer wrote:I was just talking to a colleague the other day about doing headliner and upper trims in black. Pics would be great!
pictures below for you mate

Added in 5 minutes 4 seconds:
interior picture of my car since i dyed the headliner black and painted the pillars black. the B pillars need redoing as they have a scratch on each of them as i refitted them in the dark and caught them with the side plastics :cry:

I didnt bother painting the sun visors or the light surrounds, grab handles as when i sell the car there something else that will need returning to standard.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]