The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By OliMilanoRed
Current specs:

Engine/Exhaust/Etc:
Skunk2 megapower r catback 70mm
Tegiwa carbon intake
Tegiwa red silicone intake hose
J's Racing torque damper
NGK laser Iridium plugs
HEL braided clutch line
k-Tuned battery tie
Energy suspension engine mount inserts
Powerflew gearbox inserts
Tegiwa shifter bushes
Tegiwa short shifter

Brakes:
EBC turbo grooved front brake discs
EBC redstuff front pads
OEM rear discs
Ferodo2500 rear pads
Red brake callipers
HEL braided brake lines

Suspension:
Yellowspeed Racing coilovers
Tegiwa front strut brace

Wheels:
Avon ZZ5 tyres 205/45/17

Exterior/Dress up:
Tegiwa OEM carbon bonnet from Tegiwa
Mugen replica front splitter from BKR
Mugen replica carbon grille from Fiberworx
New facelift front bumper (car came with a pre face for some reason) from HendyPerformance
Dipped manifold cover
Dipped spark Cover
Replica Mugen oil cap
Refurbished rocker cover in candy red
Skunk2 reservoir hats
Bosch aerotwin wipers
Sealed rear arches
Sealed underside

Interior:
Carbon wrapped door handles in 4d
New floor mats
Mugen replica pedals
Dipped carbon effect door sill kick guards

Hi everyone, thought I'd start a thread keeping track of the things I do - although some of you may have seen me post the odd bits 'n bobs on the facebook page. This is my first ever ep3 (got it end of July) and I've wanted one since I was 14 - but waited until I was old enough and (wise... ish) enough to own and afford one.

So, I'm happy to admit that I know nothing (Well, almost nothing, the basics really) about cars, and it is mainly the reason why I wanted to get this completely standard so I could change bits up and learn as I go. Nothing quite like doing a car up to the way you want it I think. Obviously I take it to a trusted mechanic who knows what he is doing (or ask my car friends for advice and help) but it's nice to stand there with him/them and watch and ask questions, I find it fascinating and am eager to learn.

So here is the car mere minutes after purchase. And as you may notice on the interior dashboard, someone went and made a few holes in it. The driverside door handle was absolutely worn and chipped to hell as well. It looked as though Edward Scissorhands was a past owner.

Being the inexperienced muppet that I am, I didn't look over the car well enough... and in hindsight the bloke wasn't going mention everything wrong with it. Later I found the Air Con was non functional. The driverside lock was fully seized and can only be locked from the boot. Only one set of keys and no fob. Suspicions of it beening in a small front collision with minor damage (slam panel, preface bumper, dent underside of wheel arch, behind the glove box was a mess.) He was more upfront about what you could SEE basically. Oh well. But the engine is absolutely sound and all in all the car is in great condition for 5 previous owners (some of them were right pikeys who ragged it and dumped it.)

So first thing was to slap some new front tyres on, as the ones that came with it were preeeetttty worn. Got some Avon ZZ5's for it. Those poor curbed rims : (

Next was to clean the engine bay as it was bloody filthy. If there's one thing I love is a clean engine bay. You can see how dirty it all was just from the scuttle panel:

Before: (battery tied down with cable ties haha)

Time to fix that battery tie. Got a nice Ktuned tie from funkypower.

That rocker cover is bolloxed. Time for a new one. Got this refurbed by type-rlad on ebay:

After: (Plus Mugen oil cap and skunk2 reservoir covers)

Still lots to do to it but much better I think. Want to get some nice fender washers and bolts, new rocker cover nuts, carbon wrap the inlet and spark covers and get new coloured hoses. Also need to get caps for the wipers, ugly rusty nuts on show.

Next I changed the pollen filters. This is what I was greeted with:

So got some fresh ones put in pronto.

Next up was some mugen (replica) pedals And some nice type-r mats. Unfortunately the facelift accelerator is not the same as pre-face and is a total pig to get off:

Result:

I want to carbon wrap the interior, everyone pretty much does it, but I like how it looks. My mates missus is a wizz at wrapping and apparently has a special degree/qualification in it, woo. Unfortunately she was away haha, so he did the door handles only for me in some nice 4d wrap. However, as you may see in the picture, one of the previous owners was king of all the pikeys and had no idea how to get the handle out. Looks like the idiot used a screwdriver to dig it out. There wasn't even a screw behind in the handle anymore either.

Ugh.

Part 2 in comming
Last edited by OliMilanoRed on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 16 times in total.
By OliMilanoRed
The continuation part II: Revenge of the pikeys

Thought I'd start off on a good note for part II and compliment this bloke on parking. This is how you park. I.E Not up my arse. Totally would buy this driver a pint:

Two beauties

Shiny in the dark : )

Went to the beach and it had a castle (LLansteffan, carmarthenshire, wales. Say that 10 times fast)

Arse. Polished the tits off her to get it that shiny. Honest to god, had prats cramp for days after.

Crashing my friends VW and Audi club. Ohhh yeahh baby, check out that prefacelift bumper on my facelift. I'm sooooo "out there".

Where I live. And more arse.

To part 3!
Last edited by OliMilanoRed on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By OliMilanoRed
Part 3: Skunk2's bite

Ohhh look what arrived from Tegiwa Imports:

I wonder what it could be?

Oh hey baby, how you doin? A skunk2 Megapower r catback : ) (only took a pic of back box)

Bloody hell these things are sharp around the edges. Tried sticking the silencer in to see what the fit was like and it was tighter than a nuns arse. Pulling it out took some skin off.

Up we go : )

Off with the old:

Almost on with the new: (drilling the cat is bit of a ball ache but meh whatcha going do. Apart from watch)

And bingo!:

The sound this thing makes is absurd. I love it. Driving home I was almost laughing manically like the Joker in The Dark Knight. I never thought a loud rumbling noise could make me so happy. There are a few rattle problems but Mr. Mechanic tells me they are easily solved so that's good to know.

So I think it's time to gets some new brakes and pads next, as they (the pads) are apparently 80% worn. Erk.

That's it so far. Definitely more to come, if anyone cares that is.
Last edited by OliMilanoRed on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NPyke
Haha love the commentary.. 'Out there' haha, enjoyed reading this all the way through!
By OliMilanoRed
Oh yeah, I guess there could be haha. I remember reading through all of your thread and getting slightly inspired from it : )

The plans are, new brake discs and pads next - RPB discs and the usual ds2500 pads. Maybe some Hel brake hoses depending on the monthly budget : ) Then after that onto an intake. Either Tegiwa and do my own scuttle panel or a Gruppe M with a panel included... maybe. There was a bloke on here selling his Gruppe M + panel but dropped off the face of the earth. Onwards: handling (Strut bars, coilovers, camber arms, etc, etc, the usual) engine clean up (hoses, fender washers, etc) cosmetics - interior (Carbon wrap console, gear knob, short shifter, etc, etc) and exterior (mugen spoiler, actual facelift bumper and splitter) : ) Then once I've got my barrings, I suppose a new intake manifold, radiator, and off up to TDI North. Not much haha.

I look at all the ep3s done up and here and think bugger me... I've got a lot to stand up to! I want something equally as good : )
By SeanEP3
done an excellent job on the engine bay. what did you use?

how come it has the pre front bumper?
By OliMilanoRed
Cheers. I used AutoGlym engine cleaner and AutoGlym rubber and vinyl care, plus a lot of elbow grease. Also my mate went to town with a wire brush on the manifold : )

The reason for the different front bumper and grille is it had bit of a bump on the drivers side and got done up again. Only a gentle one, but enough to warrant a new bumper (and silver slam panel) but obviously a previous owner didn't really care which it would seem... what annoys me more is it is barely bolted down! Most of it (mainly the grille) isn't fastened down at the top inside the bay. Something else to take care of.
By Ollie milanoctr
OliMilanoRed wrote:Oh yeah, I guess there could be haha. I remember reading through all of your thread and getting slightly inspired from it : )

The plans are, new brake discs and pads next - RPB discs and the usual ds2500 pads. Maybe some Hel brake hoses depending on the monthly budget : ) Then after that onto an intake. Either Tegiwa and do my own scuttle panel or a Gruppe M with a panel included... maybe. There was a bloke on here selling his Gruppe M + panel but dropped off the face of the earth. Onwards: handling (Strut bars, coilovers, camber arms, etc, etc, the usual) engine clean up (hoses, fender washers, etc) cosmetics - interior (Carbon wrap console, gear knob, short shifter, etc, etc) and exterior (mugen spoiler, actual facelift bumper and splitter) : ) Then once I've got my barrings, I suppose a new intake manifold, radiator, and off up to TDI North. Not much haha.

I look at all the ep3s done up and here and think bugger me... I've got a lot to stand up to! I want something equally as good : )
Thanks mate :smile: Plans sound good, you wont be disappointed with the ferrodos they are brilliant pads. Its a shame about those niggly bits that the previous owner hid, but you live and learn... you can pick up a milano slam panel on ebay for £30 and the clips for the top of the bumper. I was in a similar situation with mine when I bought it 3 years ago, a couple of niggly hidden bits that I didn't know to look for, and the bodywork wasn't brilliant in places. but its finally getting there with time and effort :bigthumb:
By OliMilanoRed
Yeah it was a real learning experience, as I wasn't really sure what to look out for on it at the time and was kinda hoping the bloke would be a bit forgiving on that aspect and be upfront about everything and not just select items of his discretion... but wasn't quite to be. He could tell I really wanted it also. More inexperience, oh well! Has felt like bit of a restoration project at times too haha. All for the better though. Everyone (mechanics mostly) who've looked over it have been really impressed at how mechanically sound it is, for 5 previous owners and 74k. So that makes me happy. : )
By OliMilanoRed
Put the silencer in the skunk2 today out of curiosity to see what it is like. And gotta say it sounds really nice with it in. Mad as a crazy thunder god without it in, and a nice low, angry, lion rumble when it is in. Best of both worlds : )

By Ollie milanoctr
OliMilanoRed wrote:Yeah it was a real learning experience, as I wasn't really sure what to look out for on it at the time and was kinda hoping the bloke would be a bit forgiving on that aspect and be upfront about everything and not just select items of his discretion... but wasn't quite to be. He could tell I really wanted it also. More inexperience, oh well! Has felt like bit of a restoration project at times too haha. All for the better though. Everyone (mechanics mostly) who've looked over it have been really impressed at how mechanically sound it is, for 5 previous owners and 74k. So that makes me happy. : )
alot of owners isnt always a bad thing as long as the service history is consistant and looks genuine.75k is nothing on a k20 lump, tbh 100k isnt! maybe a cliche but these engines are bulletproof. restoration projects are fun, although at times i get impatient with mine. good to see you have taken it in your stride though and sorting it out :wink: they're fun cars
By OliMilanoRed
Oh yeah absolutely. At least it came with full service history which is nice, just no mention of the bump. Funny that, ah well. But I'm enjoying it all immensely, I haven't felt this enthusiastic about anything in a fair old while, it's very refreshing. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By OliMilanoRed
So this turned up about an hour ago to keep the skunk2 company : ) Just tidied up the scuttle (not the BEST of jobs but we can fix that up later) and gave everything a nice polish and clean up.

By OliMilanoRed
Intake is in finally. Taking the shitty nylon screws out of the scuttle panel was Flipping infuriating. But finally got my windscreen wiper caps to hide the bolts, that's what's important right.

The chap I bought this off of seems to have cut the scuttle panel at a slightly off angle so the intake seems to sit at bit of a funky angle. Going to need to sort that at some point. Need to get a new silicone intake pipe soon as well.

Aaaaaand a new sticker. Cuz I wanna be cool too.

So yeah within 3 days of putting this new intake in I've already been pulled over by the Police for the first time in my life. Gave it the beans down an empty bypass in the evening, only to have a police car come around the bend towards me : ( Got off with a warning luckily. I've also almost been twatted twice in the past week from Peugeot drivers jumping red lights at junctions. Oh my gosh the drama.
By OliMilanoRed
Put some new EBC Turbo's and EBC Redstuff on today :)

Old OEM dics and pads:

Old Pads:

New EBC Turbos:

Tidy.

Shame about the curbed wheels.
By Ollie milanoctr
That accelerator pedal is exactly the same as mine, how the actual fudge did you get that off? I've put a new set of pedals on mine and thought I would take it off. No chance ...the drill came out, and even then it was a bast*rd !
By OliMilanoRed
Ollie milanoctr wrote:That accelerator pedal is exactly the same as mine, how the actual fudge did you get that off? I've put a new set of pedals on mine and thought I would take it off. No chance ...the drill came out, and even then it was a bast*rd !
Yeah I got to get a mate around with a proper man's tool-kit to get that pedal off. In the end we took the whole accelerator out just so we could pull the pedal off. Whacked the link out and hey presto. :)

On another note I got some new hydro dipped parts and a new intake pipe. Just waiting for the car to come back from the shop so I can fit em. Determined to get this engine bay A+ by summer :)

By JackEP3Premier
Good thread buddy, nice to see someone who openly says they don't know anything and seeing you learn as you go and pick your parts!

Tip- the intake sitting at an angle... you need to loosen the clip where the intake pipe meets the air box and twist the air box around to the left a bit as you're looking at it and then secure it again, that will straighten it up.
By 160mph_boy
That refurbed rocker cover made a world of difference to the engine bay!

Now, get an original FL bumper back on asap :wink:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]