The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By OliMilanoRed
JackEP3Premier wrote:Good thread buddy, nice to see someone who openly says they don't know anything and seeing you learn as you go and pick your parts!

Tip- the intake sitting at an angle... you need to loosen the clip where the intake pipe meets the air box and twist the air box around to the left a bit as you're looking at it and then secure it again, that will straighten it up.
Thanks man. Yeah we did try turning the intake to get it to sit straight like you mentioned but it just won't budge any further. I need to take a couple of extra cm's off of the left side of the scuttle so it can sit better.
160mph_boy wrote:That refurbed rocker cover made a world of difference to the engine bay!

Now, get an original FL bumper back on asap :wink:
Cheers and yeah finding a Facelift front bumper is surprisingly difficult. I'm not really willing to pay hondas prices for one and ebay is pretty barren right now for them. There's a chap on here I'm hoping to get one off of though. So we'll see :)
By OliMilanoRed
Swear down, I have bought the car off of the ultimate pikey(s). I wondered why he got rid of it within 6 months. So many things on this that will fail my MoT. Thank flip I've got a good mechanic. Having to throw so much money at this thing to get it back to where it should be. Getting pretty disheartening.

So far I've had to fix/replace
  • knock sensor (they ain't cheap for such a little part)
    Battery tie (wasn't even held down when I got it)
    Underside of steering wheel (all the panels were missing)
    Rubber grommet on the rear wiper hose was gone so it was flooding the driver footwell
    Rear window heat lines weren't earthed
Things yet to fix:
  • Driver side headlight adjuster motor (the light is useless when dipped)
    Several of the dash warning light's don't actually work
    Air Con's flip (But that's not too uncommon)
    ABS doesn't work properly
    Airbag non functional
    Need to get a facelift bumper
But I love it and it is mechanically sound, just so many little (And largish) niggly problems with it that keep getting found. Will fix it all back up. Man up time :salut:
By Rambo
Doing well so far, Engine bay looks completly different now.

As for the bits to do,
The headlight motors on the headlights are pants and give up. If it has given up just adjust the headlight as you can get away with that come mot time.
Dash lights are a worry, get a cheap diagnostics checker and clear any fault codes, buy another set of dials as well as the l.e.d's have to be un soldered or ripped out, probably ripped out.
Air con, Mines never worked, never really needed it but cant bring my self to rip it out yet
ABS that could turn out expensive, check connections to sensors from hub first (Orange plugs) what is it doing exactly to not be working "Properly"
That will need a special diagnostics to reset and code read. If its had a front end knock it probebly needs the SRS ECU reset. Might be cheaper to get one off ebay
Bumpers hold there value but there is one on the Breaking page now for sale in red.

Good luck with it buddy, id fix the bad bits before buying more parts though :)
By OliMilanoRed
Cheers for the advice guys :)

So here is what I've been up to recently:

Finally got around to fitting the new hydro dipped spark and manifold cover and tegiwa intake hose which was a right arse to get on. I've got a J's Racing strut brace and torque damper coming in the post soon so shall be adding those when possible. After that just need to fix the silver slam panel, replace all the rusty screws and bolts and, the battery and then sort out the bumper :)

By davey j
Did you fill in the rear side of the scuttle panel? I found mine left open caused moisture to get into the cabin as it sits directly above the pollen filters. Filling it in stopped this.

Car's looking great!
By OliMilanoRed
No I haven't filled it in yet as I've been wanting to cut a new scuttle panel as this one that I bought with the intake is slightly off cut so the intake sits a bit wonky. I'll fill in the new one I'm going to cut soon. Cheers :)
By OliMilanoRed
Just the damage on the rear bumper I was quoted £150. :) He had to blend it all along the rear panel and fender, too. The car needs a full respray really but this is good enough for now.
By OliMilanoRed
Put me Teg strut brace and J's torqe damper on today that I bought off of Mint_Sauce on here, cheers chap :) Refurbed the strut brace and gave it a good polish. Also cut a new scuttle panel and added in the Tegiwa scuttle insert to this one as the one that came with the Intake was pretty crap and very off cut. Also removed all the green shitty tape around the inside of the intake, god knows who bodged that.

On goes the brace.

Out comes the old crappy scuttle and intake.

Cutting the new scuttle to exact measurements.

Much better.

Strut and Torque D in.

Next on the list was trying to work out what was up with the ABS as it no worky. What we found out first off was that the dash had been taken out with a previous owner, and the ABS and airbag led lights had been covered up with electrical tape so you couldn't see that they were on. Yeah, great stuff. So we dug both of those out of the dash.

Did a load of tests to narrow down what the issue could be but needed more time, so left the car down the shop for now to let 'em bash away at it. Ugh it's so bloody annoying as I was well chuffed with the strut and sorting the intake out finally - only to find out even more pikey balldocks that previous owners did to the car! Graah. It's Friday, to the pub!
By Ollie milanoctr
Engine bay is looking tidy with the new additions, my rocker cover could do with a refurb, makes a huge difference !! How does it feel with the damper and brace on?
By OliMilanoRed
No idea mate, haven't had a chance to drive it yet because I need this sodding ABS stuff sorted out first before my MoT, it's still down the shop.
By OliMilanoRed
Barely had the car back from the bodyshop since having its rear bumper repaired and already its got a damaged again :(

And to answer the question over the strut and damper yeah they do make a small noticeable difference.
By OliMilanoRed
No the damage isn't too bad, fortunately - it's totally repairable. It's about as bad as it was before on the opposite side - scrapes and a little crack. The impact lodged it out of position a bit as well so the rear lights hang over the lip of the bumper a bit if you look closely so that'll need resetting as well. Oh well stuff happens. Could of been worse.
By OliMilanoRed
Cleaned all the salt 'n sh-t off of it over the weekend. Took the mud flaps off too as I got bored of the teasing hah. One thing I have found with the torque damper is it rattles/vibrates. going need to sort that out soon, bloody annoying when driving.

Got a new facelift bumper being sent out on Monday so I can finally replace that preface bumper and have a proper Facelift 04 car soon. Got my eye on some mugen rep splitter and grille to go with it. :)

By OliMilanoRed
Things are happening.

Mugen Replica splitter from BKR.
04 Facelift bumper (it had a preface because someone crashed it) from Hendygroup.
Carbon fibre facelift grille from fiberworx.
Yellowspeed coilovers arrived today, going on later from tegiwa <3 They were also the last ones in stock - it was definitely a sign.

And a sh-t tonne of minor fixes that the last owners bodged.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]