The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By Norv
That looks like good fun! Hoping to make it there one day, not a hope in hell my Mrs would come along though!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
By D4Z3D
That looks like an epic weekend! Really enjoyed watching the video, there was a couple of times where i know i would just not have been as brave haha. I think i saw a couple of 120 mph slides which look very scary, especially with the other half sitting in the passenger seat! All in an Epic watch!

How did you find the roll hoop affected the cars stiffness and handling?
By Lewisgame
D4Z3D wrote:That looks like an epic weekend! Really enjoyed watching the video, there was a couple of times where i know i would just not have been as brave haha. I think i saw a couple of 120 mph slides which look very scary, especially with the other half sitting in the passenger seat! All in an Epic watch!

How did you find the roll hoop affected the cars stiffness and handling?
She didn't mind too much. She had faith in my driving ability so it's all ok.
I don't think that cage would have any effect on chassis stiffness. It was fitted for safety over performance and I didn't really notice anything different. The car has changed a fair amount since my last trip to the ring so it felt totally different to before.
By Lewisgame
Small update.
For a while I'd been noticing a misting of oil from my shocks.
Now these are MeisterR GT1's with their lifetime guarantee on leaks.
Long story short, I told MeisterR about it and carried on driving the car for a few months. After the 'ring the car didn't feel right. So it was time to get them off and sorted. Hats off to MeisterR and Jerrick who I was in contact with. Plenty of emails exchanged and it was easily dealt with. The GT1's I had were their early design and since has been modified and improved. Jerrick was very honest with me which I totally respect. Sometimes when you're bringing out new products things don't go to plan. Working for VW even big companies don't get it right. Not unusual to get a brand new car in off the transporter and there's a recall already out for it.
Anyway, where the GT1's are built is only 30 mins from my work. I dropped them off on a Friday and they were done by Wednesday. They prioritised my suspension and fixed it very quickly.
I've got it all back on this week. Checked and realigned the suspension and have to say it's amazing again. Some people may think the GT1's are expensive. But the level of service from MeisterR is worth every penny.
Trying to get one more track day in this year. Fancy Rockingham but it's not clear on their noise limits. Either way I'm going to buy a baffle just in case.
By *nub*
Can't you get a custom quieter cat back ? A baffle would piss me right off if it's losing bhp. P.s I hate your wheels they are sh-t, jokes [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Lewisgame
*nub* wrote:Can't you get a custom quieter cat back ? A baffle would piss me right off if it's losing bhp. P.s I hate your wheels they are sh-t, jokes [emoji6]

Well it's solid fabs super duper silent 3 inch system but I think tracks have recently got strict on noise. Maybe the silencers need re packing as it's been on there for a few years now.
Shh you love my really individual wheels. There's no other cosmic out there with RPF1's....
By Lewisgame
Went for a blast as it was a lovely day Sunday. The new updated GT1's are superb. They feel a lot better to when I first bought them over a year ago.
Took a little snap visiting some family. No fancy filter just pure skill (fluke) that it looks half decent.
By Lewisgame
I've bought myself a KPRO V3 second hand. I got in touch with Eurospec2000 and luckily they still had my map on file and kindly sent it over.
Some people may think I've wasted my money. But I'd like to do some data logging (now need to acquire a wideband lambda) and have a go at doing some mapping myself. I've got a good understanding on how it's done and there will always be improvements to be made, even if it's on the part throttle map (which is left at close stock settings by some tuners) and eventually will try book some dyno time to tune myself. I'm just trying to be a perfectionist.
K100 will be up for grabs soon.

By marky68
Hi
I'm curios what damper settings you use on the road and track?, I have the GT1's fitted too with a track geo set up.. I've not had the car long and will be booking some track action for this year shortly.
By Lewisgame
marky68 wrote:Hi
I'm curios what damper settings you use on the road and track?, I have the GT1's fitted too with a track geo set up.. I've not had the car long and will be booking some track action for this year shortly.
Hi Mark.
I always run a difference between front and rear. I always run the rear at least 5 clicks stiffer.
On track. The rear will be set to pretty much full stiff, with the front set slightly softer (around 5 clicks).
On the road they're set around the middle, 15-20 clicks. Although when I travel to Germany I set them around 10 clicks from soft for an easier ride.
By marky68
Lewisgame wrote:
Hi Mark.
I always run a difference between front and rear. I always run the rear at least 5 clicks stiffer.
On track. The rear will be set to pretty much full stiff, with the front set slightly softer (around 5 clicks).
On the road they're set around the middle, 15-20 clicks. Although when I travel to Germany I set them around 10 clicks from soft for an easier ride.
Great thanks, I checked mine today and they are 14 at the rear and 18 front which is ok on the road but I would say too soft on track.

What track tyres have you found to work best on the Civic, I need to change the 17" tyres currently on the track rims which

Yokohama A048’s medium compound 225 45 17 on 8j et37 rear wheels
Dunlop Dirreza 03G, 225 45 17 h on 8j et37 front wheels

The other wheels on the car are
9j Et25 fronts
8j Et35 rears

I'm wondering which wheel and tyre combo will be best.
By Lewisgame
marky68 wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:
Hi Mark.
Great thanks, I checked mine today and they are 14 at the rear and 18 front which is ok on the road but I would say too soft on track.

What track tyres have you found to work best on the Civic, I need to change the 17" tyres currently on the track rims which

Yokohama A048’s medium compound 225 45 17 on 8j et37 rear wheels
Dunlop Dirreza 03G, 225 45 17 h on 8j et37 front wheels

The other wheels on the car are
9j Et25 fronts
8j Et35 rears

I'm wondering which wheel and tyre combo will be best.
Currently I'm on 17x8j ET 35 with 215/45 17 Toyo R888R and I can't complain. Rears take a little extra time to warm up but that's the nature of a FWD car.

By Lewisgame
4 weeks until I head out to Germany for a weekend of Nürburgring and a private track day there on a Tuesday.
The car doesn't want much. I was suppose to pull the gearbox out but due to some circumstances I haven't had the time or money.
I've recently removed the rack raiser bracket to try eliminate some bump steer and this has worked a treat. For those who run a particular brand of coilover, you don't need this bracket as the steering arm location on the coilover compensates for the angle. If anyone wants an explanation on this I'll be more than happy to elaborate.
Also a while back the battery died due to being sat for a long time. Key fobs stopped working and it wouldn't programme and work correctly causing the alarm to sound every time you unlocked the car. So I sourced a new keyless entry control unit for £15, plugged it on and all sorted.
Front pads are needed, I'll be going back for some Carbotech XP10. Followed by brake fluid change, engine oil change and possibly 2 tyres.
More to come...

By Norv
Looking forward to your feedback from the Germany trip. Jealous!

The coilovers track rod mounts make sense, hadn't thought of that before.

While I'm here, would you say a LSD or coilovers would be your first priority for a daily occasionally used on track? Planning a few changes over the next year and not sure where to prioritise.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
By Lewisgame
Norv wrote:Looking forward to your feedback from the Germany trip. Jealous!

The coilovers track rod mounts make sense, hadn't thought of that before.

While I'm here, would you say a LSD or coilovers would be your first priority for a daily occasionally used on track? Planning a few changes over the next year and not sure where to prioritise.

I would say coilovers and a good geometry set up. The LSD is a very good upgrade but it's only really noticeable in lower speed corners. A good suspension set up will make the car faster in all types of corners.
By Norv
Yeah that's what I thought. Though I've got some eibach springs at the mo and the car is too low if anything. Is there any detriment to running them at max height, or close to?

On a recent trackday with a mate, he was flying in his little swift sport round the corners! He has some meister r coilies and I couldn't touch him round the tighter bends. I'm considering some zeta's later on in the year.

By Lewisgame
Norv wrote:Yeah that's what I thought. Though I've got some eibach springs at the mo and the car is too low if anything. Is there any detriment to running them at max height, or close to?

On a recent trackday with a mate, he was flying in his little swift sport round the corners! He has some meister r coilies and I couldn't touch him round the tighter bends. I'm considering some zeta's later on in the year.

I think the only limitation on height is the rear strut length. I think the min drop on the rear will be at least 20mm over standard.
If you want to compare ride heights to mine. Measuring from the floor to the middle of the wheel arch, I'm running 620mm front and 635mm rear with around 1/3 of fuel in the tank. Oh and I'm on a 215/45 tyre but that'll only increase ride height by a few mm maximum
By Lewisgame
Few more bits done in preparation. New front pads. Again running Carbotech XP10's. Bought myself some HEL braided lines and another brake fluid flush with some Motul RBF600. Pedal feel is absolutely no different from standard lines.... Hey ho!
Oil and oil filter change. Millers Nanodrive stuff 5w40 and. Genuine Honda filter.
Only thing that it needs is 2 tyres. Rear tyres are on around 2.5mm which will be a little risky for the trip. Again I'll stick with the Toyo R888R's.
18 days and counting to Nürburging...

Added in 31 minutes 59 seconds:
Generic working on car photo with a friends R33 GTR

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]