The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By Lewisgame
New seats and harnesses have arrived. I did want Schroth belts with ASM but Demon Tweeks only had one in stock and couldn't get another until late July. So settled for some Sparco belts. I suppose it's all matching.
Hoping the cage comes next week before the weekend. I've got SW Motorsport making me a rear cage.

Added in 29 minutes 12 seconds:
Oh and this also means that my Premier Recaro's and seat rails will be up for sale soon!
By D4Z3D
Lewisgame wrote:Nice. I think next year I might organise some track days up north. Take a few days off and book a hotel. Be good to experience some new tracks.
Aye definitely, give me a shout when you are heading up. I am trying to do the opposite, i wan't to do croft next and then Anglesey in wales. Both look amazing!
By Lewisgame
Well I've got all the seats and cage in. It's been a hot and sweaty affair. Lovely weather but the car turns into a greenhouse!
So everything just about turned up on time. Tegiwa nearly longed me off on engine and gearbox oil but managed to get it to me by Friday. But managed to get seat rails out to be on Tuesday... Anyway.
Credit to SW Motorsport for the cage. I told them I was desperate to have it before the weekend and they delivered it on Friday.
So I had work Saturday morning. Took the car in with me to do the oil changes. Millers Nandrive, genuine oil filter and went for some Torco gearbox oil. No pictures of this, we've all seen what oil looks like.
Then onto getting the cage in. It was a little awkward getting in. All interior out basically, passenger door strap disconnected to open the door wider and manoeuvre the cage in trying my hardest not to scuff too much.
Then the point of no return, buzzing holes through the floor. I spent a while with the tape measure trying to get the cage as square as possible. Then went ahead drilling holes. Tub of Waxoyl at hand to spread about. Small issue with the bolts coming through the rear arch were too long and risked hitting the tyre. So the grinder came out and cut them back as much as possible.
Now I wanted to fit as much interior back as possible to make it a little more presentable and more civilised. I ended up having to cut the rear quarter trim into 3 pieces and for the time being have just used black tape over the joins to keep things together. Amazingly there isn't any rattles. But I'd like to do something with the joins other than black tape. For now it'll do. It looks good from afar... But far from good.
Then onto the seats. No real dramas here, the Tegiwa sliding seat rails are pretty shîte. But they do the job well enough, just don't expect the seat to slide at all. I'm not happy with the inner lap mounting point. It goes into the seat buckle mount on the rail but the angle isn't ideal. So may have to stick more holes in the floor for them in the future.
I've set my belt lengths about right. Need to do the same for the other half. Tidy the belt ends and then it's all done and ready. Nordschleife bound Friday morning!
By D4Z3D
Can't wait for the ring vids :D

Quick Question about your cage, did you weld in reinforcing plates where you have attached your cage to the chassis? I couldn't see any on your pics and i've seen a video of a guy rolling his mustang with the roll hoop just bolted to the floor, the impact pushed the cage straight through the floor.

Cheers
By Lewisgame
D4Z3D wrote:Can't wait for the ring vids :D

Quick Question about your cage, did you weld in reinforcing plates where you have attached your cage to the chassis? I couldn't see any on your pics and i've seen a video of a guy rolling his mustang with the roll hoop just bolted to the floor, the impact pushed the cage straight through the floor.

Cheers
Currently the cage is just bolted through the floor with a plate on the other side. Currently it's not welded but it'll be something I'll address in the future. It's unlikely it'll punch through the floor as the foot print size where it's on the floor is pretty big. As for the mustang, it's a ford so it's made of chocolate or rotten!
By Lewisgame
Well I'm back from the Green Hell. I'm alive and the car is all good!
Set off nice and early Friday morning for the Euro Tunnel for a 7am train. Missed all that shîte with the queues on the M20. Nice drive across Europe into Germany and our apartment in Adenau. Got all checked in, chilled out for a while and then went over to buy some laps and get some in that evening.
First lap I took it easy. With the other half being with me I knew t would be a big shock to her. Also I forgot to wind up the stiffness on the shocks and it didn't feel as sharp as I liked it. I ended up filming me and the other half this lap just to see her reaction. I didn't time it officially but looking at the GoPro footage it was a sub 10 lap. The track was soon closed after a car fire which we happened to pass on that lap before it went into full flames

Onto Saturday where the weather wasn't any good. We took a little trip to the castle in Nürburg and the views are pretty awesome!
Morning was misty and light rain and then later on it rained fairly heavy for the whole afternoon. Knowing what it's like in the rain I decided not to even bother going out so we spectated which was amusing. Until near the end of the day there was a large accident. Seeing all the emergency vehicles take to the track, we knew it wasn't good. Unfortunately 2 people died when their EG Civic crashed into a marshals car that was attending another accident.

With this in the back of mind, I had a pretty terrible sleep Saturday night and the other half wasn't keen either. But Sunday morning we got up early and took to the track. Weather was decent but on the downside it was extremely busy.
1st lap out was sub 9 mins. Then every lap after kept coming down in time. But the traffic was really bad and with the crash from Saturday in the back of my mind, I knew times weren't going to be what I would of liked.
Track was closed for a good few hours middle of the day. I had 4 laps left of the 9 bought and I was worried I wouldn't have time to get them in. Reason for the closure is this

Finally it opened. Back out and despite the traffic I was trying pretty hard to nail a nice lap in and on camera. The final lap of the day ended up being the best at an 8:25. A good 20 seconds faster compared to last time but a few mistakes made and some traffic. Less traffic maybe closer to 8 mins? Maybe I don't handle the traffic well or just a bit of bad luck. But I was pleased I got a good time in. Sub 8 mins? It's on the cards but I need more seat time at that place. I only done around 30 laps to date.
I've ripped off some photos off the net. I might actually buy some as they're decent. Videos will be up on YouTube soon if my laptop stops playing up.
Overall a really decent trip!!
Last edited by Lewisgame on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lewisgame
FunkyRemix wrote:That place looks lethal, 2 dead in the eg and the bmw crash also looked horrible :-?

Nice time though
It's as lethal as you make it. Problem is foreign nationals (us Brits in particular) take advantage of the German road laws, driving beyond our capabilities and end up crashing or worse off, dead! The pictures of the EG look worse as that's after the fire brigade have opened up the car to get access to the bodies. The BMW shows just how safe modern cars are, still that would of been an expensive bill!

Added in 2 hours 16 minutes 59 seconds:
Video is up on YouTube.
By Mr_gangrel
Nice smooth lap apart from that moment through Plantzgarten 2/SB SS. Very well controlled off throttle, that crest seems to catch people out. Romain has done a good job, your car really seems to pull hard.
By Lewisgame
Mr_gangrel wrote:Nice smooth lap apart from that moment through Plantzgarten 2/SB SS. Very well controlled off throttle, that crest seems to catch people out. Romain has done a good job, your car really seems to pull hard.
That moment was the first time I made at that point. I took the wrong line over the crest which set me up wrong for the SB SS. Although I was half off the throttle when the slide begins, what the camera doesn't catch was I still sliding when I hit the throttle and took loads of kerb on the next corner.
The car performed well and it does pull good. Struggles on kesselchen as most cars do, letting that Porsche pass me there really ruined my run up the hill.
By 160mph_boy
Sounds nice that!! Camera bouncing about start doing me head in a bit though :lol:

Good lap on the whole... nice going
By Lewisgame
160mph_boy wrote:Sounds nice that!! Camera bouncing about start doing me head in a bit though :lol:

Gives you an idea though on how rough and bumpy the track is. One thing the camera will never capture is how steep the track is and all the elevation changes.
By 160mph_boy
Lewisgame wrote:
160mph_boy wrote:Sounds nice that!! Camera bouncing about start doing me head in a bit though :lol:

Gives you an idea though on how rough and bumpy the track is. One thing the camera will never capture is how steep the track is and all the elevation changes.
Yeah, i can see particularly on some of the high speed sections how some of them bumps could quite easily send the car way off course and end up in total disaster. Good smooth reactions and driver skill & experience, are essential around there when going for a really competitive lap.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]