The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By AdamB92
Do you have another car you use as a daily? It's not so bad if you have something else and don't have to worry about the Civic, but I use mine everyday at the moment, so can't afford to have long downtime :(
Ah I see, yeah my undertray snapped off and left the corner where the air filter sits still attached, so not too worried about it at the moment, but will want to get another pretty soon to try and keep things looking clean under there.

That's exactly how mine is at the moment, it makes a lot of noise especially when its cold, its not so bad when warm but is still there and annoying. I'll get on and order one pal ! Did you just replace the top idler? Or did you replace the idler and the auto tensioner pulley as well?
I'm not even sure the cars ever had a belt, I can't remember seeing one in the service history, so well worth doing.
By Rambo
AdamB92 wrote:Do you have another car you use as a daily? It's not so bad if you have something else and don't have to worry about the Civic, but I use mine everyday at the moment, so can't afford to have long downtime :(
Ah I see, yeah my undertray snapped off and left the corner where the air filter sits still attached, so not too worried about it at the moment, but will want to get another pretty soon to try and keep things looking clean under there.

That's exactly how mine is at the moment, it makes a lot of noise especially when its cold, its not so bad when warm but is still there and annoying. I'll get on and order one pal ! Did you just replace the top idler? Or did you replace the idler and the auto tensioner pulley as well?
I'm not even sure the cars ever had a belt, I can't remember seeing one in the service history, so well worth doing.

Mines Daily driven to buddy. Need a daily but also need a house lol. Just changed the Pulley. Id change the belt as well if i was you. its a easy job.

i will change the under tray just got more things to do that are more important! as long as the filter is partially covered it should be ok
By AdamB92
Haha know that feeling mate! Just changed job and now saving up for a house.

Ah okay sweet mate, I'll order them tonight! Yeah my filter is covered, its just the nearside tray thats still attached lol.
Would be good to catch up with you on track pal :) You got any days booked/ planned?
By Rambo
AdamB92 wrote:Haha know that feeling mate! Just changed job and now saving up for a house.

Ah okay sweet mate, I'll order them tonight! Yeah my filter is covered, its just the nearside tray thats still attached lol.
Would be good to catch up with you on track pal :) You got any days booked/ planned?
Snett on 27th is booked. Planning on doing a brands in april and a cadwall later in year at least. Depends on time off really.
By Rambo
Another update. Rear caliper seized so a good friend who is still building his car let me have his new rear oem calipers from Japserviceparts providing i buy him some next month.

So after work got the car in the air and fitted them

Ordered some new tyres off tyreleader. Federal RSRs in 215/45/17. Put them on another set of ep3 wheels.

Out one night to catch up with the lads so took the civic for a outing. To which the front brakes started grinding. No tell tale signs they just died. So replaced with same ferodo DS2500 the next day.

The old pads went down the metal in the O/S Inside

Shocked how they went without any sign. I knew they was low but not to this point.

After bedding in and cooling down i went to test the car and managed to get a bit hot under the coller!

I won a competition with a local company called Essex Engine carbon clean. Without knowing a lot about the procedure they explained everything to me and i did abit of research.

They basically run hydrogen through you intake which changes the dose according to the computer to brake down the carbon from the engine. Works very well with turbo and Diesel cars but mine being a n/a that spends a lot of time around 8k i didn't think it would make a difference. So they come to my house and explained what they was going to do and how. Really friendly and clear. It took about half hour in total and was keen i took the car out after to see if i felt anything. Now what it should increase is mpg, throttle response, any lost power over the years etc... basically what a newer engine should be like. For my car i felt a increase in throttle response and top end power. Car picks up alot better at higher speeds and pedal feels much more controlled under my foot. I actually would recommend this to people. here are some pictures

As it took so quick i decided to clean the garage out so my other project that im going to sell came out for the first time in two years. ZXR400

Something small but annoying is my Ariel was catching on my spoiler when i opened the boot. So as i dont use it i reduced the size and now dont touch

And a cheeky picture while out watching naughty stuff

Yellow Stuff rear pads arrived so fitted them also.

After 15 years of hard use my old trusty died. So off the halfrauds and picked up one of there advanced range.

Next should be "Hopefully" oil cooler before the track day then off to Snett next weekend. :)

Added in 6 minutes 4 seconds:
One more thing i forgot to mention is a little representation for HOT "Honda's on Track"

Have another to put on windscreen sun strip when it turns up.

(And Rasta Pig)

By Rambo
Oil Cooler turned up last night. No intention of fitting it but missus told me dinner would be two hours.......... 4 hours later it was finally on and fitted. A right pig of a job from drilling the slam panel to mount it to getting the sandwich plate in a place it was comfortable. Routed the lines over the engine mount and under the headlight. I will get some more pictures but here are some a friend took.

The cooler kit.

Friends pics

Lines are hidden behind the crash bar and the cooler dont fully show under the bumper but till has enough space for air to cool. If temps don't decrees i will modify the brackets to lower the cooler so its snug in the hole of the bumper. For now its half protected.
By Rambo
So. Day before the track day and my oil pressure sensor killed itself!

If anyone knows where to find another i would appreciate it.

So a clear drive up to the track. Sort everything out and head out on sighting lap..... returned to be in this position!

Arch was scrubbing alot so out came my arch roller (Hammer) and job done.

Also fitted a sunstrip the night before with Drivewaymotorsport and HOT stickers.

Had a couple of problems on the day with miss fires during hard fast cornering so had to call it a day after 110 miles on track. Also finished off the discs. On passenger side there was two cracks and one on drivers side. All from the grooves not the dimples

Day went great apart from that. Chased down a civic cup car. Was great fun and owner was a really nice chap! e36 m3's and fended off a few lotus's and the like to my surprise! All being all the handling and brakes are spot on. I could do with some adjustment to shocks to eradicate some under steer but im happy with how she reacts and feels. Just the lack of midrange was frustrating so need to concentrate on power!

Here are some pictures from the day:

Added in 6 minutes 53 seconds:
So when i got home i managed to find another fuel pump and filter.

Seems the issue is now solved. Fingers crossed.

Orderd another set of Mtec disc brakes but this time gone for the new C- Hook design

And now the slippery slope begins.

Its started!

70mm throttle body has been purchased!

A few other bits orderd but will wait until they turn up before another update.

Loads of gritty details missed but thats the bulk of it.

Quick recap on day, the Federals worked a treat. plenty of grip and not alot of wear. The oil temps stayed down from before so cooler is doing its job as it should.

So going to get some midrange and abit more power through the rev range then book another day to test the differences :)

Thank you for reading.
By Lewisgame
Looking good. I think you need coilovers now and pile on some negative camber up front to kill your understeer.
Alternatively, try running a little more pressure in the rear tyres. Or drop the pressure a little more in the front.
By Rambo
Lewisgame wrote:Looking good. I think you need coilovers now and pile on some negative camber up front to kill your understeer.
Alternatively, try running a little more pressure in the rear tyres. Or drop the pressure a little more in the front.
Had a play with the pressures and got it about right. Hot temps 30 rear 28 front seemed to work best. Time for coilovers now i think.
By GBailey
I've just joined this site, and have spent most of the evening reading your thread.
Very impressive. Well done for doing so much of the work yourself.
By Rambo
GBailey wrote:I've just joined this site, and have spent most of the evening reading your thread.
Very impressive. Well done for doing so much of the work yourself.
Thank you mate. Lots more bleeding knuckles and swearing to come yet

Added in 50 seconds:
1812_s wrote:Have you used them slicks yet ?

Have read on another forum about someone's chassis making awful creaking sounds from the shear grip lol
Not yet mate. Waiting to pick up some evo enkies to put them on but engine bits have taken priority.
By Rambo
So thanks to great customer service from rob at tdi north my M2 inlet arrived so as it is a new product i will do a opening review and another review when fitted.

So here is the packaging. Packaged very well although M2 havent realised the little extra bits that poke through.

Comes with thermal gasket, some leaflets and some odds and sods to assist fitting.

Here are the mating surfaces, all even clean and no marks... as should be

And the inlet top and bottom, as you can see it replaces the water connection and integrates them into the inlet itself.

Offered my 70mm throttle body up to the inlet and here are the results, very happy

But there are some bad bits. The surface has scratches, for me im not worried as i dont have a show car, but for some others that might not be the case. A few marks here and there. For a brand new product it is not great, also there is residue glue from where they have fitted bits aswell.

Overall just on un packing im happy. Everything seems solid and inside is clean although it says to clean it (It will get blown through)

Now to get it fitted and see what happens when mapped.

Oh and here are some pics i got the other night

By Rambo
Also stopped the blow in the exhaust. Gasket failed so managed to pick up a Subaru Impreza gasket. So in true Mighty car mods style i have Subaru parts on the car!!!

By Rambo
Got my oil catch can in the post so went about venting it. Got some hose joiners, a filter and went about it.

Trimmed the end once glue had set, put filter on and finished the rest.

Need to get some black hose to finish install.

While i was there i re sealed my rocker cover with honda bond

Replaced filter for the AEM Dryflow. Was very overdue. Refitted with hydro sock again

Compression test carried out in prep. Was happy with results.

Results are:
1- 185psi
2- 180psi
3- 175psi
4- 185psi

Picked up some new headlights to replace mine

Got Japspeed 4-2-1 Manifold. Here it is next to the Tegiwa manifold. (Japspeed at top)

Heat wrap also purchased for it

And made the very expensive phone call to TDI North for Kpro and mapping at the end of May.

Been busy with other projects im doing for people so not a lot has been done but rather exited about mapping now.
By Rambo
Not managed to update the build in awhile so i will proberly miss a fair few bits.

So first problem we had was Oil cooler. I fitted the Japspeed Manifold and hadn't adjusted the lines so burned through one. My own mistake of working in the dark to finish the car.

Took fixing off, cut pipe down and put it back together

Got some Heat sleeve protection and re routed the lines over the gearbox and under the manifold. Did a oil filter and change while i was there.

Next problem was zero clutch. Slave decided it didnt want to play ball any more and sh-t itself 4 days before mapping. A good friend got me a 50k miles one the next morning and after vacuum bleeding the clutch all was well.

Got about fitting the M2 inlet. Took rad off to make life easier. Everything went pretty well. Cleaned everything while inlet was off aswell

Put everything back together including the 70mm throttle body and went for a test run.

Only for the inlet to shoot its brass fixing off and cover gearbox with coolant. Some gorilla glue to re fix it and tried again to see if anything else would fail.......... the Rad had blown! Also a small hole had appeared in the b pipe.

Got a rad off another civic we are building to get me out of trouble and new coolant. Friend came over and welded the hole up. Finally ready for mapping.

Drove 4 hours to TDI North very gingerly and when we arrive there was no messing about. Car was put straight on the dyno, Kpro installed and mapping began.

Paul jumped out for a 5 minute break so i went and checked the car to see there was...once again..... a wet gearbox. Neil came over and helped out. Pressure tested the system to see where the leak was from. (Same fixing but this time from the bung) so fitted another blank and off we went again.

Towards the end of the mapping the TPS needed adjusting and we decided to try a 3" intake to see if the restriction was the AEM inlet. So after putting the throttle body back on and messing about with the pipes for about 45 minutes Neil chucked the 3" intake on and ran the car again, 240bhp straight away. Put the AEM back on and final figure recorded was about 230bhp and 155lb/ft. Neil said the parameters was off as car was now cold so its more like 235 but i said its 230 on paper so thats what it is as far as im concerned.

Im not happy with the final result so a few more tweeks to get it right and get it where i want.

The drive is the most important part. It lacks what i wanted up top but the smoothness of the drive and the response is brilliant. Nothing i can fault. Vtec engages about 4800 which makes it easier to set up for a corner. The noises the J's makes are amazing after the map. So i went down the brands to see what the DB test would be. I got 98 at 6k. So i dont think i will pass a driveby!

So plans are now to make my own 3" inlet and relocate battery as i was going to before. Looking for a DC mani and a 3" track friendly system and put her back on the rollers.

Not going to happen for a little while as i need to do the chain and tensioner for my own piece of mind and get some seat time on track.
Hi mate I was the guy with the red ep3 at tdi north the day yours was being mapped. Glad to see you got some decent gains in the end bet it feels different to drive now. Hope you weren't coughing too much after all those fags! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lewisgame wrote:Some poor luck there mate with the inlet.
Get the Injen CAI intake bought. It's not that expensive, 3 inch piping and the filter has a velocity sack incorporated inside.
Incorporated inside? got any pictures? was just going to make my own piping with a velocity stack on end.
Dixy1987 wrote:A bit late, but I had the same issue with the Mtec disks. The OEM Honda disks are the best for track use
They had done over 12k on them disks. I rate Mtec highly mate. My replacements are also Mtec just the C Hook Design.
w6ady wrote:Hi mate I was the guy with the red ep3 at tdi north the day yours was being mapped. Glad to see you got some decent gains in the end bet it feels different to drive now. Hope you weren't coughing too much after all those fags! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was a pleasure to meet you and glad your issue was resolved. Mate that was stressful! lol. more gains to come, not a happy bunny with the figures but she does drive so much better, smoother and more responsive, just not what i envisioned in my head so will be back on dyno this year.

Sorry i didnt get to say bye mate. Im sure i will see you at a circuit soon :)
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]