The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By Rambo
Little update, got two sump bolts and a rear anti roll bar bracket bolt from Honda. Because of the weather and the missus needing to get to work in the morning and me not getting home till late from work i phoned Advanced service centre and explained my balls up with the rear bolt. They were fully booked but said to drop it in as they have more chance of getting time to do it than i have so i told her to drop it off at the garage in the morning to get the rear bolt drilled out and replaced.

I finished work at 8, went down to the workshop and car was still where she parked it. After a quick chat about it being so busy and not having the time they said there going to bring it in the workshop after close to do it. (They had been closed two hours but not finished yet) We got it on the ramps and had a good chat about where the cars going and they gave me some words of wisdom. 2 minutes later the bolt was out and new one in. So my words were "Well you did that so quick i bet you cant do the sump ones with the sump still in"

15 minutes later they was out and changed for the new ones and we was eating a Kebab and sharing stories.

Now i do all the work to my car myself, unless i HAVE to which is far and few between as i don't trust others well but when in need these guys have jumped through hoops for me when i needed a MOT and Geo and now again when i made a boo boo and snapped a bolt. They are building a couple of drift cars for customers at the moment that i had a look around and the level of there workmanship is fantastic, there track Clio is enough to make me think twice about the va va voom. Even on a normal job of working on a old rover they took every care for the car. So for those local i Highly recommend Advanced Service Centre in Grays.
By Lewisgame
Plus one for MeisterR's. I'm pretty sure they do a 'race spec' similar to yellowspeed's race ones which is heavier springs and slightly different valving.
Having said that I've done plenty of work on my MeisterR's. On track you pretty much max out the hard setting on the dampening but they perform well. Soft settings isn't that much harder than standard.
They last the test of time. I've only had mine 10ish months and nothing is seized, still look new when cleaned. Although before I fitted them I totally stripped them down and put a little copper slip on the threads and I crack the lock rings and give everything a quick turn every few weeks or so. I don't think there's any coilovers for the road that won't require some maintenance.
By Rambo
Lewisgame wrote:Plus one for MeisterR's. I'm pretty sure they do a 'race spec' similar to yellowspeed's race ones which is heavier springs and slightly different valving.
Having said that I've done plenty of work on my MeisterR's. On track you pretty much max out the hard setting on the dampening but they perform well. Soft settings isn't that much harder than standard.
They last the test of time. I've only had mine 10ish months and nothing is seized, still look new when cleaned. Although before I fitted them I totally stripped them down and put a little copper slip on the threads and I crack the lock rings and give everything a quick turn every few weeks or so. I don't think there's any coilovers for the road that won't require some maintenance.
Very true about maintenance on coilovers. They did do a Zeta-R Super race but stopped doing them ages ago unfortunately. I have sent them a message in regards to them though. Will see what they come back with as i cant afford GT1's at over a grand and a half.
By Rambo
cammy92 wrote:The super race ones are the ones i have, maybe they could knock up a set if you asked?
That's what i've asked. Hopefully they can
By Rambo
Small update.

Got round to spraying the X Brace in the same colour as the dash and other bits as i had access to a friends garage and friend who can spray better than me.

After loads of lacquer i fitted it back in the car using some decent bolts rather than the ones that came with it.

Cant notice much difference of course, more of a placebo effect on me but it breaks the back of the car up so its less like a bread van.

Fitted front number plates and took a couple of snaps. Makes the car look a lot cleaner.

Picked up some Fusso 99 Wax and gave her the quick once over. Rather impressed with it. Its the lighter wax rather than the darker one.

Thank for looking
By gavin_T
Good to meet you the other night mate. Car looks well [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Welcome to come for a spin in mine once I have ironed out my geo issues to see what you think of the HSD coilovers.
By gavin_T
PS might give those guys in Grays a shout. Do they do alot of ep3 work?
By Rambo
gavin_T wrote:Good to meet you the other night mate. Car looks well [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Welcome to come for a spin in mine once I have ironed out my geo issues to see what you think of the HSD coilovers.
Was a pleasure, That would be great. Need to make my mind up so i can move into fitting LSD.
gavin_T wrote:PS might give those guys in Grays a shout. Do they do alot of ep3 work?
They work on everything from Track ready clios and drift spec nissans to fleet vans and the old lady's rover. If you say I sent you there way im sure they will price whatever needed happy. Mines going back in for geo again when baffled sump is fitted and coil overs added.
By Rambo
Well I've found out what the steering issue is its a faulty tie rod so have a replacement on the way.

As I got the day off due to my Yaris deciding it didn't want to get me to work I took the opportunity to fit the harness's.

So first off was putting the eye bolts where they needed to go and tightening them up. First two where in the back where the original seating bolts are. The side Eye bolts replaced the seatbelt buckle bolt and the front seatbelt runner bolt. This way I can remove harness's as and when while still keeping the seatbelts for road use.

Drivers one is a 5 point harness so just removed the "Crutch" strap and fitted the others. Passenger is a 4 point harness but the two lap straps don't move so wont work for my needs, so may be up for sale.

Keeping my eye out for a harness bar for now just so i can get the car on track finally.

On Sunday i popped down the brands to see a few friends at the track day so didn't skip on the opportunity to get some photos.

Pit taxi!

Also a picture from Adam at 6two1 at the Essex Type R Meet.

So next will be front Feredo DS2500 pads and brake fluid change. Oil change, baffled sump and harness bar. Then onto a trackday to see what area's still need improvement.

Thanks for looking again
By gavin_T
Rambo wrote:
gavin_T wrote:Good to meet you the other night mate. Car looks well [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Was a pleasure, That would be great. Need to make my mind up so i can move into fitting LSD.
gavin_T wrote:PS might give those guys in Grays a shout. Do they do alot of ep3 work?
They work on everything from Track ready clios and drift spec nissans to fleet vans and the old lady's rover. If you say I sent you there way im sure they will price whatever needed happy. Mines going back in for geo again when baffled sump is fitted and coil overs added.

Got a quaife fitted to mine, Cant grumbe with what it does and is fit and forget. Not quite as agressive as some but for a car that is a road car and track car its perfect imo.
Give me a shout at the next meet and hopefully it will be dry and less cold.

I will give them a shout [smilie=karls_thumb.gif] just need to get my arches rolled so these nankang semi-slicks fit better and il be after a geo tweak again
By gavin_T
Ds2500 are spot on, wont need anymore for a while yet :-)

When I got my baffled sump areamotorsport were the best priced for a clockwise one [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By Rambo
gavin_T wrote:
Rambo wrote:

Got a quaife fitted to mine, Cant grumbe with what it does and is fit and forget. Not quite as agressive as some but for a car that is a road car and track car its perfect imo.

I will give them a shout [smilie=karls_thumb.gif] just need to get my arches rolled so these nankang semi-slicks fit better and il be after a geo tweak again
In all honesety i havent really started looking into what diff to get yet as i know i cant afford it until maybe end of the year with my other commitments. I know it wont be plated as i want fit and forget....thats as far as iv'e got so far with that. Still deciding if im to go to town on the gearbox with carbon syncro's etc. or what they find when its opened up

Il make another event page up for next meet, and hopefully in the summer il organise different events if they get enough interest like rolling road days with bbq's and Beach meeting's etc.

I also spoke to Archenemy about rolling my arches awhile back who quoted me about £150. Not sure what Advanced charge for that but geo is £90. (Id put baffle in first as you have to drop subframe to remove sump, otherwise your paying twice for geo.
gavin_T wrote:Ds2500 are spot on, wont need anymore for a while yet :-)

When I got my baffled sump areamotorsport were the best priced for a clockwise one [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
They do a drop in one for £200. If thats the clockwise motion one or not im not sure but seems to be the one im going for. I was looking at EBC yellow stuff but i dont fancy taking them in and out after every track day. and the Feredo's seem tried and tested :)
By Rambo
Managed to get hold of a mint harness bar. Its in chrome but unsure if i want to spray it blue the same as the rest of the "Bits" or get something different by sending it to jimbothemagnificent for some ITO Wrapping in black and blue. Yet to discuss or decide. But for now the functionality is there which is what i want.

Couple in the light

Just waiting for the missing eye bolts so i can fix the passenger harness in although it wont be used on the OEM seat without seatbelt. I am on the hunt for fixed buckets but just waiting till the right ones come along.

Also i think i need longer harness's as the shoulder strap (Thick logo part) is three quarters out of the harness hole on the seat, and only covers up to collar bone which it really needs to cover more!

Would like some feedback on what people's opinions are cosmetically and in regards to harness length, is there anything I'm missing that's right in front of me!
By gavin_T
Rambo wrote:
gavin_T wrote:
Rambo wrote:

In all honesety i havent really started looking into what diff to get yet as i know i cant afford it until maybe end of the year with my other commitments. I know it wont be plated as i want fit and forget....thats as far as iv'e got so far with that. Still deciding if im to go to town on the gearbox with carbon syncro's etc. or what they find when its opened up

Il make another event page up for next meet, and hopefully in the summer il organise different events if they get enough interest like rolling road days with bbq's and Beach meeting's etc.

I also spoke to Archenemy about rolling my arches awhile back who quoted me about £150. Not sure what Advanced charge for that but geo is £90. (Id put baffle in first as you have to drop subframe to remove sump, otherwise your paying twice for geo.

They do a drop in one for £200. If thats the clockwise motion one or not im not sure but seems to be the one im going for. I was looking at EBC yellow stuff but i dont fancy taking them in and out after every track day. and the Feredo's seem tried and tested :)

Thats expensive from arch enemy. Found a place in saffron waldon that do it for 25 plus vat per arch. And you only need rears doing
Ds2500 cant be faulted apart from the dust haha. Can get a good 20mins on track with 300bhp on oem disks without fade. Yellow stuff preform as well and are fine on the road. Dont last as long though and wear out quicker.
In the summer maybe we could all hook up for the brands summer wednesdays etc too
By Rambo
gavin_T wrote:
Rambo wrote:
gavin_T wrote:
Rambo wrote:

Thats expensive from arch enemy. Found a place in saffron waldon that do it for 25 plus vat per arch. And you only need rears doing
Ds2500 cant be faulted apart from the dust haha. Can get a good 20mins on track with 300bhp on oem disks without fade. Yellow stuff preform as well and are fine on the road. Dont last as long though and wear out quicker.
In the summer maybe we could all hook up for the brands summer wednesdays etc too
Looks like i might be going Saffron Waldon instead!!!!

Thanks for the feedback on that buddy, i have looked at the yellow stuff on and off as a friend runs them and they seem to work pretty well. but after speaking to a couple of people it seems no one can beat the Feredo's, although i'd like to upgrade the front brakes eventually!

I'm more than up for summer Wednesday, they doing night time ones now as well i think. I didn't realise yours was charged, I will have to have a real good nose at the next Essex Meet :)
By gavin_T
This was the place I phoned about the arch rolling
http://www.carbodyworks.co.uk/archrolling.html

Once I get some time off work im going to take mine down there so I can start using the NS2R's. Will let you know how it goes.

You will be suprised how well the OEM brakes cope. Now I have moved on to better tyres I may find I need to change but time will tell......
By Rambo
gavin_T wrote:This was the place I phoned about the arch rolling
http://www.carbodyworks.co.uk/archrolling.html

Once I get some time off work im going to take mine down there so I can start using the NS2R's. Will let you know how it goes.

You will be suprised how well the OEM brakes cope. Now I have moved on to better tyres I may find I need to change but time will tell......
Just past Stansted so isn't to far.

Mine seem to fade alot quicker than they should when i took her down some b roads before the weather turned, i blamed it on the pads.

Just ordered a calliper refurb kit as iv'e had to use the car for work this week due to my Yaris breaking down on me after three years of no problems (Fuel pump to be changed on warranty)

Drivers side front calliper (OSF) has started squicking at me up until about 60 and the disc is rather warm so look like another Saturday i wont get to lay in on! Then il address the brakes with new fluid and decent pads.

Sorted out the steering issue i think though this weekend, just got to mess about getting the steering wheel straight again. (Bolts holding leg in had worked there way loose slightly.)
By Rambo
As i can't deal with the noise any more and the fact that I've put it off i have given myself a task for the weekend. Rebuild the OSF calliper! Kit turned up today with new piston, seal, dust seal and slider grommets.

Not looking forward to it but needs are a must as I'm booking a day at brands on the 27th Feb to get to know the car again after the work I've done. So I'tl be a nice easy day on the car with the tool box in the garage.

Just to order a set of Front DS2500 pads, brake fluid change (RBF600 i think) and she is ready to go.
By Rambo
Set about getting the calliper done at the weekend was dreading it but turned out to be easy!!!!

So front calliper refurbishment commenced,

Only problem i had is that my compressor has no balls and couldn't blow down the first pigs house!!! So put calliper back on car and pushed piston out with the brake system, then finished removing it by mule-gripes.

Could say it needed it! Old piston with new

What i was left with

Removed the dust cover and picked out the calliper seal. Checked the new ones against the old to make sure they was the same size.

Out came the dremmal and started to clean as much as possible concentrating on where the seals sit.

Before i started this was the state

Must if had my finger over the next photo as it didn't come out. But needless to say it was rather shiny!

Out came the sliders, washed and greased, they just pull out.

Cleaned as much as i could in the carrier and fitted new boots.

Placed the sliders back in (Little bit of grease in the boots so it pushes it into the cylinder. And started to rebuild the calliper. Started by covering everything is a bit of brake fluid. Replaced the seal ring in the calliper. Lubed up the piston with fluid and placed the dust cover over the end so it overlapped slightly.

Offer'd it up to the calliper and fitted the end of the dust cover into the placements then pushed the piston down flush so the rest of the cover on the top recess. Refitted, bled and test drove and all seems good :)

Took me about an hour start to finish in the dark with a lamp.

Reason i did the brakes so late is that i wanted to spend some time cleaning her as she had been used for work for two weeks and had changed colour!

Just a jet wash and the half and half made me giggle

Some Auto glym shampoo, meguirs polish and Fusso99 wax and she was clean again

Got rather annoyed at not being able to see much so got some Bosch wipers

Then booked my first track day for 2015 for the 27th Feb at Brands Hatch.

Just waiting for Feredo DS2500 front pads to arrive in the post then going to flush the brake fluid. Not sure on using RBF600 or a 5.1 fluid!

Also got a Bung just in case i get black flagged for noise.

Hopefully picking up some accord alloys before the day so i have a spare set of wheels.

Looking forward to seeing how the car behaves and learning abit more about it. Should let me decide on the next stage, if its going to be LSD or some more power in the midrange.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]