The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
Starting fresh with my ep3.

Taken it off the road now as im fortunate enough not to have to use it as a daily driver for awhile. And I want to get her the way I want her. Cutting a long story short I've had her a year and now I need to make her my own and rebuild her to a decent spec now I don't have anyone else ruining her.

Spec so far

Engine

AEM CAI
Injen Hydroshield
Blue cam cover
Spoon socks (50bhp :))

Interior
Wrapped dash/handles in baby blue carbon
Vtec light in dash
Purple centre console lights
Blue seat centres

Exhaust
2.5" custom b pipe

Exterior
6000k H.I.D's
L.E.D number plate lights
L.E.D side lights
Jazz washer jets
Rear tinted windows
Blue brake calipers
Baby blue "R" sideskirt decal
Carbon blue front and back "R"
De badged "civic"
Random silly stickers in baby blue
Black headlights

Chassis and suspension

Bridgestone re04 tyres front
Nexan 3000 rear
Skunk2 heavyweight gear knob

I.C.E

Alpine headunit
Vibe slick 6x9's
Active 12" sub

Few pics through the last year

Rolling roaded at euro spec completely standard

After a years worth of driving between me and ex she is worn, Tyres are shagged, Brakes squeal when applied and especial when In reverse there so bad, 2nd gear is always a pain at high revs, rear shocks are shagged,
so I have compiled a off the road to do list which gets longer and longer. The list is to get her back to normal so I can start building her into what I want. So phase one starts as follows

To do (phase 1)

Cosmetic
Custom dipped dash and surrounds
Dash lights back to oem or decent blue
Clean up exterior (wash, polish, wax, repaint head lights, adjust wind deflectors)
Remove stickers
Strip full Interior and steam clean, hoover

Chassis and suspension

Brake discs and pads all round (pagid for now)
Change rear shocks (standard)
Tyres ( Bridgestone re04)
Replace snapped drop link

Engine

Full service (hemp shortie filter, magnetic plug, oil, coolant, NGK iridium sparks)
Gearbox oil (mtf-3)
Clutch change (oem or stage 1?)
Get bren to do a cam cover

Will update as I go

How she stands

Right to get started I done the snapped droplink

As it was

New one

Tyres where ruined so changed the fronts for Bridgestone re04 and rear to nexan3000

How bad they were

Then I stripped her out for a BIG clean. Everything was removed except the main dash. I steam cleaned everything, hooverd everything and used the appropriate cleaning materials on floor and plastics. Even seats where done. Re wired all the shabby halfrauds wiring that had been done by previous owner as well.

Dog eaten it all!!!!

Stripped ready for cleaning (apart from carpet)

Run wires accordingly for stereo
iPod lead through centre

Cleaning and replacing

Half and half

Cleaning (love the slippers)

Replacing

Cleaned

All interior back in, only things to do Interior wise now is dash and door handles

Outside polish and wax (detail to be done by a detailing company when back on road)

Cleaning

Cleaned

More to come. Thanks for looking. Comments welcome
Last edited by Rambo on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By GMballistic
Starting to look good Rambo. :cool:

I'd ditch the sticker's but that's just my opinion. Great job on everything else so far. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By Rambo
venar wrote:I like your bob-something shoes that you wear at steam cleaning!! :lol:
and
get a serious camera [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
SPONGEBOB :D

I know, I broke my slr after letting a friend use it to get snaps of my old paintball team, I thought it would be funny to paint him while a little high on adrenaline and shot the shutout the camera. My bad :S live and learn
josh! wrote:Great job mate!

Really like what you're doing :)
Thank you very much
GMballistic wrote:Starting to look good Rambo. :cool:

I'd ditch the sticker's but that's just my opinion. Great job on everything else so far. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Stickers are going, they was a boredom thing. Unsure on going fully clean look and removing everything inc type r or leaving type r badges on. Hmmm,
Last edited by Rambo on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rambo
*nub* wrote:yeah no offense but the first 2 photos gave me teh luls
Wheel in the stones? I blame woman driving :)
By GMballistic
I'd go for the clean look if I was you Rambo but it's your car so make it look how you like it. :wink:

I've just got the "Type R" badge & "30th Anniversary Edition" sticker on my CTR which is the way I like it. :-D [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By Rambo
GMballistic wrote:I'd go for the clean look if I was you Rambo but it's your car so make it look how you like it. :wink:

I've just got the "Type R" badge & "30th Anniversary Edition" sticker on my CTR which is the way I like it. :-D [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Food for thought. Will decide when it gets detailed. More to worry about than that ATM.
By leigh200sx
Looks clean mate good job so far .. If I were you I would get some rear camber arms to adjust your camber , looking at those rear tyres you need them
By Rambo
leigh200sx wrote:Looks clean mate good job so far .. If I were you I would get some rear camber arms to adjust your camber , looking at those rear tyres you need them
Handling is next phase, will include camber arms and arb's,FRSU, possibility LCA's and unsure on springs or coilovers.
By Rambo
Small update:

Got fed up of seeing her on axel stands so decided to make a start after much debating a focus ST (Still kind of am)

Phoned a few companies up to price up parts and on a hunt. First i'm looking for- full service kit, superpro bush kit, clutch kit, braided brake lines, JDM RARB, lowering springs/ Coilovers (Depends what comes up), camber adjusters (Front and rear) and disks and pads, Maybe roll adjusters aswell.

Then got out while the sun was out.

Fitted Beaks tie bar I forgot I had.

Got a new dash to be dipped.

Finished sanding down alloys, finished all four in primer and first coats of black on two. Also finished centre caps.

L.E.D all interior lights (Much cleaner look)

Couldn't fit anymore in as had to fix friends streetka with a snapped spring! top and bottom.

No point in pictures but also put interior back in from the garage. Destickerd front and rear window and boot so its not a chav mobile anymore, cleaned and replaced AEM CAI (Although it will be coming off to change clutch!)

Only a few pics as its really a post to re introduce myself to the car I've ignored over the winter!

Next weekend will involve taking suspension off ready for bushes or sub frame drop ready for clutch. Depends what cash I got left after putting deposit down for holiday.
By Rambo
UPDATE:

Started working on the car at last. First job was clutch replacement. Makes sense to do first as I’m changing all the bushes and have to drop sub frame anyway.
So I started to remove brakes and the front suspension legs which was fine until the tie rods didn’t want to separate from the legs, one came out without splitting but the other was mangled when I finished. The retaining screws on the disk brakes just rounded there self’s as well so another minor pain in the bum! Not sure how to go about removing them now, Drill or some other idea!
The start,

Tie rod

Drop links next, already changed one side not long ago so that one came off easy, but as expected the other side didn’t want to play game, so just snapped it to save the hassle and change it later.

Emptied the gearbox oil and o dear……Black/Brown, defiantly needed changing and could explain a few of the gear selection problems I had before when warm.

So I set about removing everything to drop the sub frame, marked up the bolts with an ink pen so I can align them back up when I put it back together. Popped drive shafts out and started to remove the rest of the bolts while the back of the frame was supported by a jack. Last bolt came out and nothing! Turned out to be one very small screw holding the air con pipe in, told friend to hold sub frame while I removed it then it will be released and BOOM, he let go and my nail was not as pretty as before. But it was out.

Packed up and went out for a drink for the night. Next day got back from quad biking and set about the gearbox, everything was pretty smooth expect forgetting to take out the starter motor bolt at the end and having to remove the world and its wife to get to it but never the less, the box was off.

New vs old

Flywheel

Cleaned it up a little bit where it matters, greased it all up, put new bearing in the box and fitted clutch using a socked that fitted perfectly and torqued her up…….
Bearing

Clutch

Fitted Powerflex Gearbox insert

Now for the part I was dreading. Refitting the bloody thing! But got there in the end. Started bolting the bell housing back on and got one problem.

The very two bottom bolts don’t grab! Anyone have any ideas on this, they grab but turn and turn no way of torqueing them up!!!
Box back on

Removed broken drop link from ARB and tie rod end with LOTS of heat!

Now I’ve refit all the gearbox bits and bobs, strip hubs and wishbones, awaiting engine mount inserts to arrive (Front mount is shagged) and press in new bushes and ball joints before I can put the rest together. Then fill gearbox up with new oil and start servicing the engine before moving onto the brakes.

So far I’m winning. Will keep updated as best I can. Doing everything on my drive so hard to stop and take pics![/url]
By Rambo
cossiemark wrote:Some pice pics do you have any of the seats interested in seeing them with blue centres.
Il find one buddy.
FunkyRemix wrote:Nice one for doing everything yourself :smile:
Thanks. sh-t loads to come yet to do myself.
By Rambo
Few more things done this weekend. Had most of Saturday afternoon to myself so got a few more bits done.

Engine mount inserts turned up from energy racing so i could get subframe back on.

Took cam cover off and gave it a fresh coat of Matte black VHT paint. Im not 100% on it but everything should tie in once done.

Sanding

one coat

Done (Plug cover yet to be changed)

Valve clearances done while it was off. Fiddly job!

While taking the cam cover off the bolt kept spinning and spinning, eventually coming off snapped. So got a new one on way not a big deal

Had enough of the poxy retaining screws on the front discs now, had a little go at drilling them out and seem to have made one worse. Its asif there welded in! tried everything to get them out

Now waiting for bits to turn up like service stuff and bushes etc.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]