The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By Rambo
Fitted the pads last night. Had a right ball ache with something so simple!

Even got the missus involved

Started on the drivers side and everything was perfect, went to put them on passenger side and calliper piston wouldnt push back, so off came the calliper to be hit rather hard....... job done. Refitted calliper and went for a drive to bed them in.

The horrible side!

Drove for about 5-10 minutes without touching the brakes then from 60mph to 20mph ten times in succesion.... let car cool down by driving slowly a further 5 minutes and check. Disk was white ish as it should be but wanted to give them another run in just to be safe. Went well, no fade this time so continued home.... get up to speed and the car judders....... brake.....judders more, mostly through the steering wheel so i pull over to check everything and the passenger alloy is red hot and pads smoking!!!!!

So another calliper refurb kit has been ordered so il soon have both front callipers re-furbed as i done the other last week. Not anything major just a pain in the buttock's when i thought i was on a home straight!

Really looking forward to Brands, so here are few photo's from LRB Media.

By Rambo
Bung turned up as a pre cautionary measure. Will fit and test as soon as i can really.

Although i was 98.7 static at brands last time i thought it's better to have one than not in case of a black flag one day.

By gavin_T
Hopefully you wont need it, hate the sound of my spoon with a bung in. Sounds like a boiling kettle past 5000 rpm haha hence why i put the oem box on for track. Should be fine with the hks as it is
By Rambo
gavin_T wrote:Hopefully you wont need it, hate the sound of my spoon with a bung in. Sounds like a boiling kettle past 5000 rpm haha hence why i put the oem box on for track. Should be fine with the hks as it is
HAHAHA im sure it dont. Its not a HKS its custom i think. Its more of a just in case thing as it points to the inside of the track aswell and i dont want to get black flagged and lose the day. Rich is popping down on the day, if your not working pop down :)
By OliMilanoRed
I run a skunk2 megapower r catback on mine. I keep the bung in my glovebox just incase haha :wink: Actually one of the few catbacks that sounds good with and without the bung in my opinion.
By Rambo
OliMilanoRed wrote:I run a skunk2 megapower r catback on mine. I keep the bung in my glovebox just incase haha :wink: Actually one of the few catbacks that sounds good with and without the bung in my opinion.
Bung didn't fit, it was the same diameter as the pipe itself so going to send it back for an exchange! Glad i did this sooner rather than last minute
By Rambo
Last night i managed to get an hour on the car to refurb the next calliper. Was a lot more of a pain that the other but got there in the end. Also was in worse condition considering it was fine about three months ago when i refitted everything back together.

Just a comparison, Old Vs New

And the Calliper finished.

Now they just need a coat of paint and flushed with some higher boiling point brake fluid.

Went to fit the bung and its the same diameter as the back box itself so need to send that back and get a smaller version.
By Rambo
Managed to get round to flushing the brake fluid. Couldn't get hold of rbf600 so went for ATE typ200. Thought it was going to be blue so Itl be easier to flush but is. Or so colour. Managed at least 500-700ml through each calliper. Although the front near side had small air pockets. In it no matter how much I bled it so I will change bleed nipple as and when. In total I flushed just under 2ltrs through the system.

Re painted the front and rear callipers, looks abit more fresh again

Also need to send the bung back as its thats little bit to big. It's the same diameter as the actual tail pipe.

Very impressed with the brakes now. After a spirited drive over the weekend a few people come up to me to tell me the discs where glowing, so all is ready to hit the track once I recieve a smaller bung. :)
By Rambo
Sorry for the Lack of update for ages but now out of work and have a 6 month ban. Police decided i was doing 100 mph in a yaris that tops out at 90, and tracker saying i was doing 85 but the magistrates threw the book at me. So progress is going to be slow. But here is an update to now with the bits i can remember doing.

Right onto the car.

The bung didn't fit and they didn't make one that would fit.

Managed to get some Accord Type R alloys cheap as chips but looking at the tyres there was no way of me driving on them and according to my friend who i got them with (9 alloys in total) there were a few that are buckled. So a quick spray on the floor to see what they would look like in blue for track and sent them away with him to straighten out.

So it went Brands and i took my chances. Packed loads of tools in the back and met up with the lads for the short drive there.

Loads of crap chucked in

On way down being stalked by Accord Type R

Breakfast (If you come from the M25, there is a breakfast van before you get to the petrol station on the roundabout, we go here all there time, there sausages are amazing!!!!)

So we arrived in the pits, signed on and went for noise test.... to this point i was dreading what was going to happen. When i got to the box, they asked my to rev until it hit the limiter then bring it down. Now my car never pops and bangs and this time....... BANG!

"118DB mate, you are way over the limit, but it was 98 before it hit the limiter so ** put a pass on but you will see me later."

No you wont mate, ** prove you wrong, straight into the puts again and before the day had started she was ars up face down.

Borrowed an angle grinder from a race team a couple of pits along, off came the bumper and to work i went.

Bumper back on to my new jewish stubby can

Reason for this is the top of a bean can is like cupping your mouth and shouting, cutting the tip off will be like shouting without cupping your mouth..... and it worked. And looks pretty cool IMO.

So on with the day. Car performed faultlessly. Handled exactly how i wanted her to. Even on road tyres (Bridgestone RE50) Only problems i had was towards the end of the day i kept getting "Excessive tyre squeal, return to pits" which got really annoying but i think the control tower just wanted to go home.
By Rambo
Here are some of the Pro pics i got sent

And some from Brands them selfs.

Hope you enjoy, there are loads more pics but i wont put them all up here.

Not much will happen now for awhile. Just get the accord alloys painted properly and some semi slinks wrapped round them. Few service bits and then hopefully some coilovers and re geo her.

Thanks for looking :)
By Rambo
Well i haven't updated in ages. Everything is slow at the moment because.....we I'm enjoying her. Not managed to get her back on track due to other commitments which is very frustrating but the odd weekend out in her has proved value enough although i have had to soften her up slightly as she is back to being a daily for the time being. Only a few things have been done, i dented the rear quarter with my buttocks while leaning on it and kicking of a brake disc on a Vauxhall being the most frustrating

But the small update none the less.

Only a few pics of the car on a few nights out. One of which in London,

6two1 meet (Very dirty car)

Expression Culture pictures

Adam at 6two1 pics

And one with Hondapro Jason

A deep cleaning session

Test and Tune

Loads i've missed out but you get the gist.

In the way of maintenance, mods and breakages, not a lot. Like i said the rear quarter which is a pain and bugs me.

A full service with Triple QX 5w-40 (From 5w-30) with a shortie Hamp filter again. Re sealed the rocker cover gasket and general maintenance

20l to keep me going, a cat back for a friends s2k, as much as i want to change mine now!

Now to problems, undertray decided it wanted to commit suicide during a spirited drive.

By Rambo
Cut most of it off except the near side as it needs to protect my filter. I bodged the remaining back on until i find another from a breakers.

Now as nice as this exhaust system sounds and looks its not for me. The role of my car does not suit this system so it will be up for sale or swap. I have a dc5 manifold and cat in the garage in mint condition. Not sure if i want a 4-2-1 race mani or the dc5 mani and cat. My main problem is noise on track without making restrictions to power once i decided on what route to go down.

Its not blowing or punctured, just abit squashed.

Only mods I’ve done is put a switch in to manually start the fans. I did this to see if it helped with my oil temps as there raising above 90*C to 100*C on normal driving and 120ish*C during a spirited drive….. and my engine is standard including map! If anyone can shed some light onto this being ok or not please do so. Put the switch out the way and easy to get to.

Also got a 300mm blue tint Broadway mirror at the 6two1 meet.

Thats pretty much it. Want to book snett 300 and another brands day before the end of the year. Hopefully can get away from my other commitments to make this happen.
By Lewisgame
Never seen an exhaust routed like that at the back. You must of been catching that constantly! Engine temps are fine. You want it close to 100°C on normal driving to get any built up moisture out of the oil. I wouldn't get concerned until the temps get close to 150°C
By Rambo
Lewisgame wrote:Never seen an exhaust routed like that at the back. You must of been catching that constantly! Engine temps are fine. You want it close to 100°C on normal driving to get any built up moisture out of the oil. I wouldn't get concerned until the temps get close to 150°C

It does and it don't tbh. It's been flattened in the time.I've had it and the previous owner but like.I said I'm. Looking for something else as it's not what I want.

I seem to get about 100-115 on a b road blast bit track.I've his 135. Normally sits around 90-95. Fan switch helps tbh but I think it could be new rad time
By Rambo
Couple of updates,

Had a noise coming from the cv joint so replaced the boot with one from a local auto parts shop.

Trying to use the process of elimination to get rid of the annoying noise coming from the rear so removed the spoiler and re seal it. To no avail. Still got the annoying noise but at least the spoiler is fitted better.

Been to north weald to test and tune on each of there events. This one was no different so a couple of us found some shade to finish waxing ready for the next day.

And finally thanks to Simon and four house driving i got J's racing 60rs so can now fit my dc5 mani and cat with this. I am pretty certain it wont pass a noise test for the track but will pop down to my local track and get a db test to see where it stands and fit a silencer in the b pipe accordingly.

Going to fit the system this week hopefully
By Rambo
day off work so decided i wasnt going to wait to wrap the exaust i was just going to fit it.

Was a pain in the ars removing the manifold as most bolts were corroded but eventually it came out and all was on the floor ready for the new to go on. So started prepping the dc5 manifold to fit. For those who are going to do this i recommend taking off the front arb it will make life easier.

Old off, will miss the noise this makes but it just wasnt the style i was going for.

Everything ready to go on

dc5 mani on...... pain in the ars for some reason

cat and B pipe fitted. There has been metal bead welded on to try and stop the b pipe from flattening when it scraps.

Back box on.

And bumper back on and on the floor.

Also fitted the beaks bar i've had in the garage for over a year

It sounds silent compared to my previous set up. Which makes me happy as i think i will get away with a race manifold and still be track friendly.

Took her for a quick drive and the back box pipe is hitting on the RARB. Dont know if this is because its a JDM one or i need to play about abit more to get it to sit higher. But happy enough now :)
By Ollie milanoctr
Hey mate looks miles better than the other style back box you had! What's the difference power wise with the dc5 mani? Was thinking of one myself to quieten things down, but don't want to loose too much power.i have a decat mani fitted currently.
By Rambo
Ollie milanoctr wrote:Hey mate looks miles better than the other style back box you had! What's the difference power wise with the dc5 mani? Was thinking of one myself to quieten things down, but don't want to loose too much power.i have a decat mani fitted currently.
Are you mapped on a 4-2-1 race mani? or just running a de-cat pipe on ep3 mani?

If mapped on 4-2-1 and change to dc5 4-2 2-1 you will lose top end power but possibly gain mid range with another map. (dependant on map)

I noticed the car is alot smoother and feels quicker and its a pretty noticeable change considering im not mapped. I dont know facts and figures in power etc but i do believe the dc5 system will improve mostly mid range and help slighty top end with a map. Im after abit of mid range as i think thats what im lacking on the track.

A 4-2-1 is a better system for the ep3 and this would be a step down for you i guess but i think it would more just change where the peaks are in regards to power. It's so quiet though!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]