The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By doug2507
Hi all,

Sat twiddling my thumbs at the moment waiting on parts so thought i'd start a build thread. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

I've got a 51 plate SS which i've had for the best part of five years now. After a couple of years ownership i decided to head down the S/C route and went and bought most parts to bring it up to spec before buying the charger. Over that period of time things changed and i decided to sell up so put it up for sale on here. Didn't really do it whole heartedly as the main reason was to buy a TDi golf or something for the chick to learn to drive in. Neadless to say it ended up staying even after selling off a rake of tasty parts!

As it's been for the last two years, totally std apart from Premier rear glass, ATR front seats, Mintex discs/pads & HID's:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Fast forward to now and again i was thinking of selling it but decided instead to turn it into a hill climb/sprint car. The old man used to race when i was a nipper and every event he went to i was there watching. Even though it's clubsport level there's some very tricked out motors, especially in the Nationals. Never did try my hand at it due to being away most of the time so now's the time to start, using the civic! Re-sale value on these is fairly low now and it's a hell of a good engine to start with for competing and also means i'm not overly bothered if i bend it as i can pick up another for a relatively small outlay. Parts are easy to score due to popularity and there's still good support from the dealerships for oem stuff.

So, where do i start! Well...1st thing was to decide what class to compete in. Being a 2L you can end up in with some serious machinery which also comes with a serious price tag. Had a good read through the MSA Blue Book for all the reg's and decided standard production road going class (up to 2000cc) was perfect. Rules are basically car needs to be fully road legal, no slicks etc (there's a list for what semi's you can use), interior's got to stay apart from carpets/mats, bonnet/boot can be changed for grp/carbon etc, glass stays std, body to remain std, all suspension pick up points to remain std but fairly free to run whatever shocks/springs/arb's etc etc you want, block/head to be original etc etc. So all in all not too restrictive but enough free play to make it a damn sight quicker than std! As the car's going to be retained as a daily driver for the 1st year this should all fit in nicely. I'm away half the year working so it's not used too often so slightly hard road manners ain't an issue!

After that i spent countless hours reading about suspension specific to the civic and was amazed at the amount of good info available over the uk and stateside forums. Some really insightful stuff which a few people have obviously spent a good bit of their own time to contribute the knowledge they have! :bigthumb: Track build threads have also been good for feedback on whats working and whats not, which hopefully this thread will do for others who are following suit. Suspension will be completely re-built but nothing out of the ordinary.

Engine wise the plan is to modify it as much as reasonably possible without opening it up. No point in going all out on the 1st year and it'll be mainly used to get get a feel of the car on the different tracks and develop the suspension for each meet. Bolt on mods won't put the car to anywhere near the front of the class but it'll still have enough poke to have fun with it. Fully built N/A to be dropped in end of next season if all goes well. :twisted:

Away for a coffee then i'll post whats been done in the last week or so..... [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Last edited by doug2507 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 17 times in total.
By doug2507
1st thing to do was put it through it's MOT. Glad to say it sailed through no bother although the garage did say that they didn't want to touch the exhaust incase it fell off. Seemed like a good place to start. :roll:

Had a Toda full setup before (never got round to fitting it) so promptly went on the hunt for one. Unfortunately for Rascal69 who had his up for sale and i was away to buy it, Alex-B put his full FEEL's setup for sale and decided to go for that instead. A few PM's back and forth and the deal was done so this duly arrived complete with JDM front ARB....

With the std exhaust/mani having done 70k i thought it best to send it back up to the garage and let them have 'fun' swapping it over. Glad i did as the front subframe had to be lowered to get the manifold on and they snapped a stud whilst at it. Also decided to wrap the manifold before it went on.

(Before sealant. CAT punched.)

Went and ordered a 'few' parts from Stevie at Eightspeed before it went into the garage as i knew the droplinks would need to be replaced. So up to the garage went the exhaust/manifold/Cometic exh gasket/JDM front ARB/Superpro front ARB bushes/Bilstein front drop links/Progress 24mm rear ARB/ES engine mount inserts/Powerflex gearbox mount.

Got a call from them at lunchtime saying they had to take the oil filter off so i went up with a new filter, 5L of Silkolene Pro S 5/40 and a MFactory magnetic sump plug. Was going to be doing an oil change when i got the car back so saved me the bother. :thumbup:

Having hit 70k the car was due a service anyway so instead of forking out for the dealership to do it just so i can get a stamp i went and did it myself. With the oil/filter already done next was the spark plugs so on went a set of these:

Next was the fuel filter. Heard it was a PITA to do but it's part of the full service so cracked on with it. Turned out to be an easy enough job. Just used a 6 inch extansion and hammer to take the seal off then swapped over the filter. Top tip....remember to put the rubber o-rings in. Ended up fitting it and started tidying up when i noticed two new o-rings still in the bag and only one old o-ring sitting beside them. Back out, o-ring fitted and back in.

Old:

New:

Fitted:

Next job on the list was to sort out a leak i've had on my back window for ages. Took the spoiler off and found out the guy who fitted the Premier rear window had trapped the brake light cable between the spoiler seal and the glass. :bumsmack: Soon sorted that out and used sealant on every hole so there's no chance of water ingress in the future!

After that i decided to replace the wing mirrors. The passenger one is cracked to fook due to having to swerve to avoid a big ass 4x4 on a single lane doing the school run which resulted in a fight with a wheelie bin. The mirror lost. Drivers one has overspray on it so looks shabby. Ended up getting a pair off fleabay but turns out they're not for an EP3 as the mounting plate's about an inch taller. Was pretty pissed off but got a full refund and got to keep the mirrors. What they're off i don't know but at least i've got spare glass now.

So after all that it's ready for some tinkering!
Last edited by doug2507 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Alex-B
Looks great mate and some well thought out parts, look forward to seeing the outcome :cool: .

Subframe doesn't need to be dropped for the mani especially if it's on a ramp, just need to remove the ARB for future reference [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By doug2507
I'd had a Nuspeed short shifter on before and was pretty pleased with the difference it made to the throw of the stick. This time round i decided to go one better so got this from a forum member:

...followed by a set of solid bushes from Tegiwa. Bit of an awkward job getting the cables out of the std unit but 20 minutes later and it was in. Massive difference and highly recommended as the std setup is far too sloppy. Also swapped out the bushes in the front which pushed out no bother with a bit of WD40 soak time before hand :thumbup: :

Note: the box poly bush isn't sitting flush but that'll get sorted in due course.

After all that was done it was time to head into town to the dealer and pick up a few oem parts that'll be needed shortly shortly. Sure some of you will have seen these before at some point... :wink: :

Yesterday i was expecting a GM to arrive but the postie's being a little slow with it so needed to find something to do. Also needed to get the car back running for last night so the airbox had to go back in. Before re-fitting decided to do this:

Can't tell if it's made any difference at all as the car's running in limp mode for now till somebody decides to sell me a K-Pro! :sleeping:

So thats it for now. Just waiting about for parts to turn up before i start stripping the suspension. Was going to strip it this weekend but no point till i get a confirmed date for all the suspension bits to arrive. I won't tell you whats coming but suffice to say it should handle like a go-kart once done. :cool:
Last edited by doug2507 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By doug2507
Having done a few cars before the best thing i've learned.....do it right, do it once! [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Also want to say a big thanks to Eightspeed, RB Motorsport & TGM so far. Excellent customer service from all which just makes things easier. Looking forward to the rest of the toys arriving!

And for those that don't know what hill climbs/sprints are all about, here's something to get the juices going:

(Black car inside)

Last edited by doug2507 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By doug2507
Cheers. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif] Just need to get hold of a dB meter and check if it's within spec for competing. Got a funny feeling it might not be.... :roll:

Yep, both well built cars! Black one's away to be treated to a Sadev box and pushes out about 290bhp N/A. Stiff springs and massive rear ARB along with a nice Drexler slip diff do help. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Last edited by doug2507 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Dixy1987
You'll have awesome fun doing the hill climbs bud. I run my Civic in the same class up the Jersey hill climb and currently hold the class record. :cool:

Last event of the season is on 27th August so hopefully I'll have some footage from that to upload.
By Dixy1987
doug2507 wrote:Good stuff. You run over on the mainland as well? See you had nice weather for it back in April.... :roll:
No, I only do the hill climb in Jersey.

Yeah the April one was a joke - couldn't get the power down at all with R888's in those conditions.
By Dixy1987
doug2507 wrote:How you finding the FD Dixy? Just right or a tad low? Was thinking the 5.1 should be fine, don't want to render 1st completely useless....
Perfect for hill climbs and track. At all the circuits I've driven I've never even had to use anything lower than 3rd gear. At Le Mans last weekend (Bugatti circuit) I didn't need 6th as I was topping out in 5th at about 125/130mph, so it's not that short really.

First takes a bit of getting used to but with practice you can get a decent amount of grip.

For what you have in mind it's a must have mod IMO.
By GMballistic
Some great ideas, cant wait to see & read more. :cooldude: :shouldbeinteresting: :-D
By Stevo M81
Not another feels exhaust, these are becoming so common :lol:
By Alex-B
Stevo M81 wrote:Not another feels exhaust, these are becoming so common :lol:
Was mine, still rare [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]