The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By walker567
doug2507 wrote:Sod aero catches on the boot, springs FTW! And oem wing was favoured over carbon. No discernible difference in weight and i'm not arsed about cosmetics. Just need to pick up the rivet gun from the old mans office and get the spring hooks and reg plate fitted, job done.

Couldn't really be bothered going to the effort of drilling holes to route upper rear brake light and heated screen wiring so brake light is a nice shade of silver now…. (what brake light… should keep the MOT guy happy. :wink: )

On a side note, if anyone knows where i can get a male-male -16AN inline adapter with 3/8th NPT port let me know. All the ones i'm digging up are 1/8th NPT for PSi sensors (fuel). I need one for a coolant sensor for the EWP...
MIght be able to help you with the male-male adapter. would be a 3/8 barrel with a 3/8 m to 1/2 f then a 1/2 to jic 16? that any use? (that made sense in my head anyway ha)
By doug2507
Couple of things turned up today, new shafts were first. ( Insane Driveshafts)

Decided that running on super softs this season then slicks next season i didn't want to take the chance of breaking a shaft. Not sure how much abuse the stock shafts can take and since they could do with a rebuild anyway i've err'd on the side of caution. Props to Tegiwa for getting them shipped out promptly! You'll also find them on the Civic Cup cars…

Second thing was a lot smaller and lighter! When i fitted the ES poly bushes to the suspension i noticed they don't include upper bushes for the rear knuckles. Shopped about and can't get them on their own, it's a full knuckle kit only. Could have replaced them with oem bushes but spotted these yesterday which fit the bill nicely. Wouldn't last long on a road car i reckon but should be good for my purposes and they'll get a healthy dose of lube to keep the red stuff away.

They came from SPD Automotive, along with a new set of BC RCA's. One of the front ABS sensor bolts sheared in half like butter when taking it out and wasn't able to rescue the remaining stud. Replacement knuckle on the way from Integrastella and had to bite the bullet for new RCA's. All 4 hubs are getting rebuilt and knuckles/arms dropped off to the powder coaters on monday when the replacement knuckle turns up. Never been happy with the hammerite finish so time do get them done properly!

If anyone knows a decent company that doesn't charge a small fortune to get bolts zinc coated just give us a shout… :big thumb
By doug2507

And a big thanks to Stevie at Eightspeed for what i'm led to believe is the first kit on a UK EP3….

Picking up the arms / knuckles tomorrow from the powder coaters, waiting on rear knuckle bushes to arrive so i'll get all the mounting hardware zinc coated locally on monday. Should be back on it's wheels mid week ready for a trial fit of the engine.

The guys at TDI are sorting out the exhaust/cat as we speak, b-pipe with cat instead of silencer also heading to Zircotec. I'll be getting the ASP coated as well but need to wait for o2 bungs to turn up from the states, need to drill/weld them onto the manifold for the 4 channel sensors.

All go! :-D
By gatecrasher3
What a collection of bits. I'm not surprised you were pleased to get back to them.

Those brakes look amazing. Presumably they are more different from the normal Stoptech BBK than just the colour?
By doug2507
Yep, Trophy kit. Lighter callipers, lighter bells are the main selling point for me. Info here http://www.stoptech.com/products/big-brake-kits and plenty on google...

Pic's don't do them justice, finish is superb and callipers are deceivingly light for the size. Big thumbs up from me, won't be long till they get some abuse! :WOOT
By ADRi NH674P
Da flip..!

That head looks nice, same as the header (i'm still waiting for mine to arrive, although mine is second hand lol).
By dan ep3 turbo
Looking good Doug don't come on the forum much any more your car has come along way since I last looked. Head porting looks stunning did you get any befor and after flow test?

Dan
By doug2507
Putting in the 5.8….

Full assembly:

Giken currently fitted with PPG 5.1:

Counter shaft:

Easy enough job really, only thorn in the side is having to get a garage to strip and rebuild the counter shaft. In hindsight i should have bought a press ages ago for jobs like this and suspension bushes!
By doug2507
Just as well i decided to put the 5.8 in, wasn't expecting this….!

Assuming a genuine mistake by seller as he couldn't remember what was in it but was confident it was a 5.1.

If any of you drag boys want it just shout. Be going up for sale stateside but i'll give locals preference. (and a better deal!)
By doug2507
Busy day today, finally got around to getting the windscreen and rear quarters replaced! Just need to go figure out how to wire up the screen now!

Stripped out the steering rack, replaced bushes and mounts/bolts (were rusty as hell), fitted new brace along with DVR tie rods, replaced clutch hard line and hose…

Replaced handbrake cables and removed front crash bar ready for engine. Both needed a grinder thanks to Honda using the tiniest spot welds on the chassis nuts! Handbrake bracket securely fixed with a beefy cable tie (cable ties and rivets - what all race cars are held together with! :lol: ) but i'll need to weld a nut on for the crash bar…

Front / rear arms and knuckles needed some attention with the dremmel. Even though i told the coaters not to touch the bush housings they coated them anyway. 2hrs+ just to clean up the rear knuckles and front arms. I'll get them finished off tomorrow ready for bushes on Monday.

Before:

After:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]