The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By doug2507
Had to head out the road to pick something up so decided to trial fit the Titan's…

Clearance wise you couldn't get closer if you tried. Bonnet clearance is a couple of mill so i'll put a strip of foam on the underside of the bonnet. You couldn't run the air box with a stock bonnet, carbon is fine if it's single skinned, if using the likes of Seibon you'd need to trim part of the skeleton.

The box is sitting as low and to the drivers side as reasonably practical, backplate will be Reverie flat carbon, not the alu one Titan supply. No way of running front valance and bumper needs a little shave at the top. Ended up being quite lucky due to the offset design of the manifold, air box wouldn't fit otherwise as the drivers side edge is only a couple of mill away from the headlight bracket.

If anyone's thinking about running these and using an air box, i spent ages looking at all of the options and the 'Interlagos' from Reverie is really the best option due to length and height.

Ducting will come from a 100mm snorkel on the bumper, just to the left of the numberplate if looking from behind. Radiator will be full length but around 11" tall. That takes it up to the height of the tabs you can see in the pic above (welded nut on it) which will allow room for the ducting to pass to the front. If just running a dome filter stock rad is totally fine.

Laminova will fix onto a back bar welded onto the rad just below the air box.
By doug2507
Making some headway. Back ends finally sorted, kind of. ASR is on without issue, just had to scrape a load of sealant off for the plate to sit flush. Spoke with TDI and back box will be modified to suit if needed. Left the ASR on the softest setting, it's a .120" bar so better to start soft and stiffen as needed.

Only downside was the F7 LCA's that were shipped over from the states are for DC5. Completely wrong bolt pattern. Waiting to hear back about rectifying this and expecting another set next week. I'd sold the Skunk's but have refunded seller so they'll go back up for sale once it's all sorted.

Took the engine back out today, sorted clearance for the crank bolt (lick of wax oil needed), fitted flywheel/clutch (Exedy f/w with stg.2 three puck) then back in. K24 f/w cover needs a touch with the angle grinder to fit but all good. Did the engine the easy way this time….

With no stock oil cooler being run the port where the pipe runs to needs blocked off. Turns out you get a plug for it…

Another spanner in the works…

Spoke to 4PR and Dailey might have a special fitting to sort this out. Just waiting to hear back.

Be back out the road this week to get the spare wheel well lid finished and get a mounting plate fabricated for the oil tank & breather. Should also be picking up the header to send away for coating, been away getting the wideband bungs welded on.

Glad the engines now finally sorted and in place, everything else should go smooth enough and not long till turn key now!
Last edited by doug2507 on Sun May 17, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By shaRRpy
This is some build! :cooldude: That rear arb is a piece of kit how thick is that and where is it from the states.
By adam_hillclimb
Looking awesome!

I was surprised how much the ARB stiffness affects the car. Did quite an undulating and greasy hillclimb a couple of weeks ago and had it on the stiffest. Car went very light on the rear through the technical sections - nearly lost it! Jumped a hole for my timed runs and it was a different car. Looking forward to seeing some videos from you!
By Eric_Sn@il
That rear ARB looks mega!

Be fun routing an exhaust around it though!
By GreigEP3TR
Eric_Sn@il wrote:That rear ARB looks mega!

Be fun routing an exhaust around it though!
He could make a side exit :P
By doug2507
Decided to sort the back plate for the air box today. As usual, nothing goes according to plan…

First thing was to use the existing back plate as a template. Holes for the trumpets are quite a specific shape so just masked off the carbon, fixed the alu and marked it out. Took 20min with a hole saw then the dremmel to cut them out. Easy job.

Marking the holes for the ITG was a little more guess work as was pretty much marking them blind. 2 were slightly off and needed filed out. Used the round cut outs from the hole saw to cover them up, bonded on. Also cut a hole for the IAT and bonded on the alu boss that came with it.

Looked like everything was spot on but when mounted and put the bonnet on it wouldn't shut. When i had the filter and box sitting on the trumpets they weren't central to the trumpets. Cutting out the back plate central has raised the filter and box by about 10mm i reckon. I'll need to get another backplate ordered up and re-do it all again but offset.

Had an hour to kill and started thinking about making my own box direct to the grill. Out with the cardboard again and very rough mock up done. In two minds now which route to go down, just waiting to hear back from a guru on his thoughts between the two. If anyones clued up feel free to chime in!

Obviously the lip of the bumper will need to be cut and i'll probably need to use an inch of rubber trim on the mouth to account for engine movement.

By doug2507
Pissing down rain today so left the front end and finished the fuel setup. Just need to put a hole through the frame for the pump wiring and seal the main plate on. Luckily managed to use the fittings i already had, after ordering all the oil/coolant fittings i think i'd be sick spending another penny on them! :lol:

Good news on the alternator clearance issue, Dailey have sent out a 90deg fitting and one of the circuit boys all the way from the Bahamas is machining another bracket for the alternator. If you've never heard of Jerry Leach i suggest you click the link, one of the most impressive / comprehensive builds i've seen….

http://tdsautomag.com/2014/08/20/track-bred-eg6-build/

Bookmark the link so you've got the menu readily available, it's a pita trying to navigate through the pages.

Other good news, Pro Alloy have finished the radiator, should be here Tuesday. Also sourced another rocker cover and had them weld on a 1/8th NPT bung for the vac sensor (same as current) but also a -12AN bung for the vac reg. One that came with the engine is 1/4 NPT and thought it better just to get another cover so i can straight swap them. They've also sealed the dip stick hole and oil cap, not much need with a dry sump and i'll be able to pull better vacuum. Covers going direct to Paul Flaxton off TRO for a lick of the red stuff.

Exhaust manifold on it's way back from Zircotec. Coated in Performance White although they did phone up saying the new batch of paint is slightly 'creamy', do i want to go ahead with it. Told them it could be pink for all i care. Curious to see it anyway!
By doug2507
ASP has made it's way back from Zircotec. Yet again, cracking finish!

Didn't fancy wrapping it and ceramic coating is a double winner. Lower engine bay temp and higher exhaust gas temp to help scavenging. B-pipe's getting the same but primary black instead of performance white.

Other delivery i'm absolute stoked with. Due to the air box for the ITB's stock rad won't fit. Hillclimbing doesn't require masses of cooling and the Fluidyne half rad i've got won't fit either with the aribox. Got in touch with Pro-Alloy, took a load of measurements, designed the rad and they built it. 300mm tall, full length, 40mm single row, 2x 10" SPAL fans. Think the core is what the use for tuned VXR's so ample for my build!

Mounting the Laminova seems to be a head scratcher for some and decided to have a bracket made on the rad for it to hang off the back. Coolant will come out of the head into the cooler, into the rad drivers side at the top then out the bottom passenger side feeding the EWP and into the block. Routed it this way as the coolant temp will be toasty after going through the head and heat up the oil passing through the cooler. I'll just need to keep an eye on temps and adjust the EWP/fan controller to keep things peachy.

By Cosmic-Dan
This just gets better and better. Can't wait to see this up and running.

Have you got a date in mind when it'll be taken on its maiden voyage?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]