The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
Haha yeah they were the two options I thought I had really. My engine bay is what I like to call the "used" look haha. The steering is brilliant. It's nice to have it build weight in the corners and not feel like your driving a Toyota aygo haha. A night and day difference now I've got the diff and 225 tyres up front. What's your thoughts on it? Oh yeah and it's only +15bhp if the glove has been remapped apparently :)
By D4Z3D
Chris_Ep3 wrote:Haha yeah they were the two options I thought I had really. My engine bay is what I like to call the "used" look haha. The steering is brilliant. It's nice to have it build weight in the corners and not feel like your driving a Toyota aygo haha. A night and day difference now I've got the diff and 225 tyres up front. What's your thoughts on it? Oh yeah and it's only +15bhp if the glove has been remapped apparently :)
haha the "used" look, i like that i think it describes my bay well :lol: . Yea the DC5 rack must be about twice as heavy and it has much better feel. Definitely s great mod - although i think i'd need some j's racing wings to fit 225's on the front. When i run my 215 track tyres i get some rubbing on the inner arch
Yeah I've got 225,45 ado8r's fitted on Evo 9 alloys and it rubs a little over big bumps lowered on the eibach 30mm springs but I've removed my arch liners and haven't had it set up yet. I've just bought some bc coilovers so I'll get it sorted and set up. Your car goes well on track any more plans for it?
By D4Z3D
Chris_Ep3 wrote:Yeah I've got 225,45 ado8r's fitted on Evo 9 alloys and it rubs a little over big bumps lowered on the eibach 30mm springs but I've removed my arch liners and haven't had it set up yet. I've just bought some bc coilovers so I'll get it sorted and set up. Your car goes well on track any more plans for it?
Nice set up, i want a set of AD08's myself as i'm having problems with the federal RS-R's cracking and splitting. I am going to send them back to the manufacturer as there's still plenty of tread left on them but i don't feel safe using them again with the big cracks along the molding marks.

I don't actually have any future plans for the car to be honest i think its pretty much done. I only really do 2 or 3 track days and 3 or so drag racing days per year, so the car is a compromise between road and track. I think i have gone far as i can without compromising the cars on road manners. On track i think i am limited by my ability more so than the cars, its quick enough to drive to the track , have some real fun in it , then drive home. No trailers, no tow cars etc.

I might do some cosmetic stuff to the engine bay in the summer, i drive it all year round so there's just no point in doing any cosmetic stuff till the weather is nicer. The Glasgow based car tuning club Monster Unit are talking about going to the Nurburgring next summer, and they are a decent bunch of guys so i think i might tag along, so that will eat any funds that would have gone on parts :D

What are you planning to do with yours?

P.S Performance HQ just sent me a better dyno graph with torque on it :-D

Me and a few mates go to the Nurburgring every Easter and will be booking again for next year just after the new year. We stay in the Dorint hotel which is actually on the start/finish line of the GP track which is ace. You will love it if you get over there there's loads to do. Well I'm at 245 bhp at the moment with all the usual bolt ons etc, but it's booked in for the tdi north turbo conversion in January so looking forward to that. I'm with you on the cosmetics, that stuffs for summer haha!
By D4Z3D
Ry4n_ep3 wrote:I've got 4 x AO48 for sale [WINKING FACE]
At this rate i'll be single handedly bankrolling your turbo conversion :lol: . I'll wait and see what federal say, if they give me some money back for the tyres i would be tempted. What size are they?
Chris_Ep3 wrote:Me and a few mates go to the Nurburgring every Easter and will be booking again for next year just after the new year. We stay in the Dorint hotel which is actually on the start/finish line of the GP track which is ace. You will love it if you get over there there's loads to do. Well I'm at 245 bhp at the moment with all the usual bolt ons etc, but it's booked in for the tdi north turbo conversion in January so looking forward to that. I'm with you on the cosmetics, that stuffs for summer haha!
Yea i cant wait to go, been promising myself for about 3 years now but still haven't done it. Aren't those tdi conversions like £6k? :-o
By D4Z3D
Ry4n_ep3 wrote:225/45 man. £800 new looking for £350
Yea thats a fair price but unfortunately they are too big for my car. I only have 7j oem wheels, also i'd need to roll the rear arches and put 10 mm spacers on the fron with j's wings to fit those.
D4Z3D wrote:
With the new suspension fitted everything was way out as you would imagine. The car was then set up as the bottom set up shows. i have gone for a compromised between track and fast road use, so no crazy cambers or ridiculous toe settings to wear out tyres every 4k miles :lol:. Due to the amazing weather up here i have yet to properly abuse the car, it does feel nice though with the new dampers and increases spring rate of the kw's over the bc's. the one thing i actually don't like as much is the effect of the roll centre adjusters and the rack raiser. The steering has lost a fair bit of its centering action and got a bit lighter, probably down to the slightly reduced castor angle. It still feels nice and tight though [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

I have updated the spec list on page 1 to reflect the changes, and also committed the cardinal sin for a modder - try and work out how much the car has cost me to build. It makes for painful reading :oops: , let it be a warning to anyone considering going down the same route!
Cars looking ace. Question about what you said about the feel of the steering after you installed the rack raiser, have you managed to find a way of 'fixing' this? or is it just something that can't be helped
By D4Z3D
jamesyy21x wrote:
Cars looking ace. Question about what you said about the feel of the steering after you installed the rack raiser, have you managed to find a way of 'fixing' this? or is it just something that can't be helped
Hiya,

When i installed the rack raiser and extended ball joints they did improve the cars steering dynamically speaking, i.e the turn in was sharper and the geometry better, however i did feel that the wheel was lighter and didn't centre as well. It's hard to say if this was solely down to the raiser and balljoints combo as my EPS rack actually failed pretty shortly after this. Once i installed the DC5 rack my steering went much heavier and also has very intuitive self centering with the same geometry. To get the most out of the OEM steering i think you should install the raiser, balljoints but also get some castor increase polybushes in the front lower control arms, this will make the most of the EPS set up.

Hope this helps !
D4Z3D wrote:
jamesyy21x wrote:
Hiya,

When i installed the rack raiser and extended ball joints they did improve the cars steering dynamically speaking, i.e the turn in was sharper and the geometry better, however i did feel that the wheel was lighter and didn't centre as well. It's hard to say if this was solely down to the raiser and balljoints combo as my EPS rack actually failed pretty shortly after this. Once i installed the DC5 rack my steering went much heavier and also has very intuitive self centering with the same geometry. To get the most out of the OEM steering i think you should install the raiser, balljoints but also get some castor increase polybushes in the front lower control arms, this will make the most of the EPS set up.

Hope this helps !
OK mate, nice one cheers for that info will be very helpful, i may get a DC5 rack down the line then, going to look into the caster polybushes, any recommendations ?
By D4Z3D
jamesyy21x wrote:
OK mate, nice one cheers for that info will be very helpful, i may get a DC5 rack down the line then, going to look into the caster polybushes, any recommendations ?
SurreyEP3 wrote:Super-pro bushes are the best, thats my own thoughts through experience.
^^ This, those seem to be the most popular and people seem to recommend them highly. I actually went for energy suspension poly bushes which don't actually increase the castor, didnt feel the car needed it with the DC5 rack :-D
By fras83
Great write up mate! Just read through it all. Some great mods done. Not long bought an ep3 as a weekend/ track day car myself, hoping to get it on track this year. Looking at possibly doing the performance driving at knockhill soon. Reading your write up about it I take it you would recommend it's worth the money?
By D4Z3D
fras83 wrote:Great write up mate! Just read through it all. Some great mods done. Not long bought an ep3 as a weekend/ track day car myself, hoping to get it on track this year. Looking at possibly doing the performance driving at knockhill soon. Reading your write up about it I take it you would recommend it's worth the money?
Thanks man, once the modding bug starts it's hard to stop. It's finished for now anyway, i am just enjoying driving it. I would definitely recommend getting tuition on track, the instructors are really good and will give you some great tips to improve your driving and get the most out of your car. Plus its fun sitting beside a professional really kicking the ass out of your car, it's amazing what the cars can do in the hands of someone who can drive :-D .

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]