The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By D4Z3D
Time for an update!

The car has been off the road since May due to a number of unfortunate problems. The eps rack needed replacing so by the time i sorted out all the parts for a DC5 conversion, got it booked in and the conversion completed, May and June had passed. It was then discovered that my front offside KW coilover was nackered and needed a rebuild. Sent it off to KW and they took... 2 months to rebuild it and send it back. They had to "import a kevlar liner from Germany because they had none in stock, followed 2 weeks later by having to " import special oil to rebuild the shock", and then ofcourse they had to "send data to germany from their test rig to ensure the rebuild was sucessful". In all honesty i think 2 months is taking the pi$$, no matter which suspension company you are.

On the upside picked the car up on wednesday and it drives flawlessly, new rack is weighty and the steering feel is much improved over the old EPS set up. I also had plenty of time to get my road set of wheels refurbished in BMW gunmetal grey and wrapped in lovely new conti sport contact 3's all round. Car feels and looks like a new car :-D . Shame i missed japfest 1+2, knockhill jap track day and monster unit 814... oh well, off to the Isle of Man in September for the Manx rally so atleast ill get to take the ep3 on the derestricted mountain section :-D .

The new rack:

Pump, belts and resevoir:

and the new road wheels on the car:

P.S. apologies for the state of my engine bay, i've never cleaned it :lol:
By D4Z3D
Went to the Isle of Man for the 2014 manx rally, petrolheads dream! Saw some amazing cars past and present in action, and got to drive at 120 mph on the de-restricted TT mountain course. Pics + Videos below :-D :

Video of me on the mountain at dusk:

I've got over 30 fly by videos of the rally cars, i am gooing to get them uploaded and ill link them on here, or feel free to check out my youtube channel.

Enjoy!
By D4Z3D
fallenkshatriya wrote:Really nice pics and video, dude... And nice meeting you at AutoMek recently. Glad to hear all is great with the car.
Cheers mate, the car is fantastic at the moment - it is definitely holding true to the mantra that old hondas don't die they just get faster :-D .

Time for some rally car videos:

By D4Z3D
As i am turning 30 this year i decided to do my first "sensible" modification. The car has never been a quiet one but the engine mounts and short final drive do make it a bit boomy at motorway speeds. I decided this week to spend my evenings stripping the entire interior out of the car and add some extra sound deadening. I bought some "Silent Coat" which is basically a rubber adhesive mat with a thin aluminium protective layer. It weighs about 3KG per m2 so i ended up adding about 7kg to the weight of the car which is a small price to pay for a quieter ride :-D .

So it begins!

12 years of accumulated sh1te, i could not believe how dirty all the panels were under the interior:

Slow, fiddly and finger ruining progress:

Back out, at this point i should have done a track day :-D :

Boot and arches Silent Coated:

Front seats out, 30ae Recaros weight an absolute tonne! :

Front foot wells done:

I have rebuilt the car and th eonly bit i didn't get round to doing was the doors, that's for another day !

Went out for a drive and the high frequencies are damped out nicely, this means tyre and wind noise are now significantly muffled and more importantly the extra sound deadening over the entire floor of the car has reduced the exhaust noise. I can now cruise on the motorwat at 70 mph in relative silence. It still sounds good when you boot it it though :lol: . Also an unintended consequence - the stereo now sounds alot better since the cabin acoustics are much better.

Overall a pain in the add job but worth it for a car that's less tiring to drive quickly, maybe ill get an RBC and a race manifold now to offset the extra 7kg :cool:
By SeanEP3
nice work. at 30m I feel my car is a little un social now too! may give this a try

Sean
By D4Z3D
Cheers guys,

Was out in it today a fair bit and the passengers agree, its definitely quieter. You can have a civilised chat ( or maybe an un-civilised on but quietly) at 70 mph :lol:
By shaRRpy
Nice job there.ive been considering doing this to my vw caddy.does this stuff minimise the need to add a layer of mass loaded vinyl because I thought that it just stopped panel resonance.
By D4Z3D
Yeah it really does stop panel resonance as it firmly glues itself onto all the metal sufaces, handy as my engine mounts like to resonate all the panels. I found a website dedicated to this stuff and it called what i did "stage 1". If you are serious about noise reduction and not too bothered about weight gain you can do "stage2" which involves putting down more heavy duty mass loaded vynl that weighs like 8kg/m2. I decided i wanted a bit more quiet but not alot of weight penalty so im just sticking to the "silent Coat" aluminium.

Here is the website:

http://www.deadening.co.uk/
By D4Z3D
Ollie milanoctr wrote:Lovely 30th ae mate, i wouldn't change anything on this! the new wheel colour Looks smart against the satin silver :cool:
Thanks man, i dont think ill ever change the look of the car as i quite like the un molested OEM look. On the mechanical side theres always something i fancy doing. For example ive had the car 12 years now so i know its on the original bushes, i would love to replace them with some new polyurethane ones. Moreover the exhaust (with the exception of the mid section) is 12 years old so i fancy an rbc, tegiwa 4-2-1 and fujitsubo RM01-A cat back. The list goes on :lol:
By Ollie milanoctr
D4Z3D wrote:
Ollie milanoctr wrote:Lovely 30th ae mate, i wouldn't change anything on this! the new wheel colour Looks smart against the satin silver :cool:
Thanks man, i dont think ill ever change the look of the car as i quite like the un molested OEM look. On the mechanical side theres always something i fancy doing. For example ive had the car 12 years now so i know its on the original bushes, i would love to replace them with some new polyurethane ones. Moreover the exhaust (with the exception of the mid section) is 12 years old so i fancy an rbc, tegiwa 4-2-1 and fujitsubo RM01-A cat back. The list goes on :lol:
12 years :smile: that's impressive! Changing all the bushes would make a huge difference :bigthumb: i know what you mean about the exterior mines looked pretty much oem since i bought it 5 years ago, i nearly put a mugen splitter on but ended up keeping it standard. i have the rbc, dc 4-2-1 and tegiwa catback and it's the best combination I've used :smile: it could do with a map tweak though as its still running the old hks catback map, the power is brilliant none the less.
By shaRRpy
D4Z3D wrote:Yeah it really does stop panel resonance as it firmly glues itself onto all the metal sufaces, handy as my engine mounts like to resonate all the panels. I found a website dedicated to this stuff and it called what i did "stage 1". If you are serious about noise reduction and not too bothered about weight gain you can do "stage2" which involves putting down more heavy duty mass loaded vynl that weighs like 8kg/m2. I decided i wanted a bit more quiet but not alot of weight penalty so im just sticking to the "silent Coat" aluminium.

Here is the website:

Cheers mate I had a look at that site and I think I will do the silent coat and then add some mlv as its in my van I'm not bothered about extra weight,should be proper quiet then.not cheap for the amount I'm going need though. :roll:
By D4Z3D
Ollie milanoctr wrote: i have the rbc, dc 4-2-1 and tegiwa catback and it's the best combination I've used
Thats a nice set up, i think the tegiwa is a copy of the RM01-A . How loud is that set up when you are just cruising at say 70mph ? I usually have to drive 150-200 mile round trips to go to knockhill or crail and i don't want to have to buy ear defenders for myself and passengers :lol:
shaRRpy wrote: I had a look at that site and I think I will do the silent coat and then add some mlv as its in my van I'm not bothered about extra weight,should be proper quiet then.not cheap for the amount I'm going need though. :roll:
Yea i bought the "bulk pack" which was £85 or so but i still have nearly half of it left after doing the whole floor of the car from bulkead to boot - in addition to putting my hand through the rear speaker holes on each side of the rear quarter panel and putting about 2 full sheets to the inside of the panels. I think 1 bulk pack would cover a small van no problem. The MLV does look more expensive though - although i think you will only be putting that stuff down on the floor so you will probably need way less of the stuff. Makes a good difference though :

By yella
shaRRpy wrote:
D4Z3D wrote:Yeah it really does stop panel resonance as it firmly glues itself onto all the metal sufaces, handy as my engine mounts like to resonate all the panels. I found a website dedicated to this stuff and it called what i did "stage 1". If you are serious about noise reduction and not too bothered about weight gain you can do "stage2" which involves putting down more heavy duty mass loaded vynl that weighs like 8kg/m2. I decided i wanted a bit more quiet but not alot of weight penalty so im just sticking to the "silent Coat" aluminium.

Here is the website:

Cheers mate I had a look at that site and I think I will do the silent coat and then add some mlv as its in my van I'm not bothered about extra weight,should be proper quiet then.not cheap for the amount I'm going need though. :roll:

I've got a load of Sound deadening i never ended up using as was going to use it in old civic when i had the stupid piper on it. Never used it just sitting in my cupboard, i can measure how much there is
By Ollie milanoctr
D4Z3D wrote:
Ollie milanoctr wrote: i have the rbc, dc 4-2-1 and tegiwa catback and it's the best combination I've used
Thats a nice set up, i think the tegiwa is a copy of the RM01-A . How loud is that set up when you are just cruising at say 70mph ? I usually have to drive 150-200 mile round trips to go to knockhill or crail and i don't want to have to buy ear defenders for myself and passengers :lol:

Yeah its the fujitsubo style one, day to day driving its pretty quiet and cruising on the motorway isn't too bad at low revs. Its quite loud of you put your foot down and drones abit, but a decat manifold doesn't help on the volume. Nice sounding system!
By WizardinBlack
Diaz was kind enough to take me out for a run in its last year at an automek open day and all I can say is wow. Seriously choice mods on this, and the brakes fs they are good. Remember approaching a 90 degree bend and thinking brake, brake, BRAKE. Foot to the floor and then felt all my organs come to the front of my body. Glad he took me out because now I know the direction to take my car.
Going to the monster unit track night on the 23rd? Be good to see the car again. I was the ginger lad with the nhb with the ear splitting spoon n1.
By D4Z3D
WizardinBlack wrote:Diaz was kind enough to take me out for a run in its last year at an automek open day and all I can say is wow. Seriously choice mods on this, and the brakes fs they are good. Remember approaching a 90 degree bend and thinking brake, brake, BRAKE. Foot to the floor and then felt all my organs come to the front of my body. Glad he took me out because now I know the direction to take my car.
Going to the monster unit track night on the 23rd? Be good to see the car again. I was the ginger lad with the nhb with the ear splitting spoon n1.

Hey mate how are you getting on?. Have you done any other modifications to your car yet?

I'm glad you enjoyed the wee run in the car, good chassis and brakes modifications are way more fun than power IMO :-D

I will be going to the MU tracknight but not actually going on track, those nights are super popular and always fully booked ages in advance :-D . My car is actually going in for some work after the track night, it passed its MOT last tuesday but had some rust advisories for the front subframe, front lower control arms and front jacking points. I've ordered a clean subframe + lower control arms from integrastella on ebay , along with a rigid collar subframe kit, and energy suspension lca bushes. The subframe and lca's are getting powder coated and the jacking points cleaned and reundersealed.
By WizardinBlack
I've started a new job so sorting out some things on the car first. Was going to get the stoptech bbk but just settled on new discs and pads for now. Got andy to sort out a frsu for me in Jan and have some dc2 recaros, just waiting on a set of rails. Going to save for a diff and a shortened final drive next. Fitted a prefacelift bumper as well to get rid of the smiley face. See you got the wheels in anthracite as well. Looks very smart.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]