The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By billster
A couple of little bits done recently on the car.

I fitted a Skunk racing gearknob which I got from a mate

I find it difficult to describe how it changes the feel of the gear change, just a bit more solid and feels like the final piece of the jigsaw as I already have the Tegiwa shortshift kit and the hybrid racing bushes at the gearbox end.

I then finally fitted my new tyres after getting about 12000 miles out of the conti sport 5s I will be interested to see how the Goodyears do. First impressions aren't great as there seems to be a lot of flex (could I just be imagining it? Could it be coming from barely legal tyres to deep tread that does it?) But I haven't had a chance to push them much yet. I will likely be using up the contis at the trackday in June and saving these for the road I think.

Oh yes, the new tyres are wrapped around some freshly painted wheels now which look flipping awesome :grin::grin: IMHO

Thanks once again to my awesome mate Stu who prepped and sprayed these wheels with the tyres on, and he had the scabbiest set of wheels ever to start with!

Apologies for shoddy phone pics and dirty car, but I only washed it tonight and it was dark by the time I finished. I will try and get a nice picture tomorrow
By juz1
How do you have the balls to pull your engine? ive seen loads on here do it where do you start just yank it?

Its what i would like to do get it all out clean it up etc, but knowing me id break something and it will need to be calibrated and you only could do it with a special tool from honda that costs like a grand.

Did you have loads of bolts left over? :lol:
By billster
juz1 wrote:How do you have the balls to pull your engine? ive seen loads on here do it where do you start just yank it?

Its what i would like to do get it all out clean it up etc, but knowing me id break something and it will need to be calibrated and you only could do it with a special tool from honda that costs like a grand.

Did you have loads of bolts left over? :lol:

Haha, yeah. It is a bit daunting to be honest. Thankfully there was no bolts left over! :-o Basically it's about being logical and disconnecting everything bit by bit, and then replacing it in the same way. Driveshafts, coolant, electricals, etc and then yeah, just pulling the thing out very slowly. I don't think we used any special tools. Just the hoist we had to hire, a clutch alignment tool, and obviously torque wrenches to do everything back up to the right tightness. All things relatively cheap. I'd only ever swapped a 600cc motorbike engine ands gearbox before, so although I had an idea I wouldn't have attempted it without Stu who's done several engine swaps etc before and is very good at that sort of thing.
To be honest, swapping an engine or pulling one out and putting it back is not that hard to do. Taking it apart and then putting it back together is harder I would say. Having said that, I am not sure I would go to that trouble to clean the engine. How about getting it steam-cleaned?
By billster
Bud wrote:Hows the car treating you Bill?

Looks nice with the painted wheels mate
Cheers.
Really good thanks, apart from the SRS light that came on a week or two ago (I'll get Honda to fix that I think)

I have it just how I want it now, and am hoping to just enjoy it for a few years without spending too much on it (no charger/turbo on the horizon!). I have an introductory track evening at Brands next month and might get into that kind of thing a bit more. I've been admiring your Megane mate. That thing is a weapon :twisted:

You'll be back to Honda soon though! Lol
By juz1
I've looked into soda blasting and steam cleaning, but due to funds I haven't really gone any further with it. I'd like to do it just to learn really then i've done it. I'm in a position now that like you I'm trying to save money, so fitting brakes etc I will do myself. Taking the engine out and know how the stuff fits together if anything goes down the line I know how to fix it.

Torque wrench engine jack and clutch alignment took seems nothing to remove an engine.

Top work though mate.
By Bud
billster wrote:
Bud wrote:Hows the car treating you Bill?

Looks nice with the painted wheels mate
Cheers.
Really good thanks, apart from the SRS light that came on a week or two ago (I'll get Honda to fix that I think)

I have it just how I want it now, and am hoping to just enjoy it for a few years without spending too much on it (no charger/turbo on the horizon!). I have an introductory track evening at Brands next month and might get into that kind of thing a bit more. I've been admiring your Megane mate. That thing is a weapon :twisted:

You'll be back to Honda soon though! Lol
Keep it N/A, they way it should be :cool:

yeah will return evenutally but not EP3 or FN2.

Will have to be the new 2015 Civic type R depending on how good it will be
By billster
Finally got round to uploading a video from the last trackday I did in June with HOT and LOT.

Please feel free to give me any pointers/advice as I am new to the track-driving game. Just don't take the p|ss!!

[youtubenew]
[/youtubenew]
By billster
I managed to put a little vid together of a roadtrip earlier in the year to Wales with a few mates (S3, 1980s 911 and old Boxster)

Here it is on Youtube for those interested (only about 3 minutes long, and some nice music to it as well lol!):

[youtubenew]
[/youtubenew]
By billster
Stevo M81 wrote:How did you find the Goodyear Eagle F1 afterall then :wink:
Really good- can't fault them at all, and very little (imperceptible) difference between them and the conti-sc5 although they're a little on the worn side now, and I can't decide whether to give the Bridgestone RE50 a try, or splash out on some Yoko AD08Rs for the next set.....
By billster
Got a puncture the other day that couldn't be repaired, and with winter coming and tyres worn fairly low I decided to splash out on a new set. Goodyear Eagle F1 A2 are on offer at black circles for £99each including fitting, so went for the boring option of the same again! But no complaints yet from the last set, and really good price that.

I also noticed the front pads were worn right down, so got a fresh set in there.

Many thanks to Si from Hendy Performance who got a set of Project Mu NS400 to me same day, and at a really good price as they are now project mu stockists!
hendyperformance.co.uk
By billster
Not updated this thread for ages, but I've not done much apart from drive the beast for a long time. I have had the front bumper resprayed and touched up and polished the bonnet. The whole front end was looking very tired and stone -chipped.

I've got a trackday booked for early December and my brakes are looking a bit worn, so I grabbed a fresh pair of OEM discs and Project Mu pads from Hendy Performance again. Top advice and service again from Si and the guys there. This time I decided to go for the more track -biased HC800 pads which I believe are meant to be somewhere between the DS2500 and DS3000 in terms of performance. I love the NS400 I have in there now, but I think I've managed to get them to fade a tiny bit on the road when really pushing them, so hopefully these track-spec ones will stand up to a bit more abuse!

I've also fitted a 4 inch gear lever extender which I got cheap off Leejay-B on here. I'm not sure that I like it yet, but it's so easy to fit and remove it had to be worth a try. I also had the thought that other might make me less likely to find the wrong gear when out on track - just by increasing the distance between gears.
Although it does make me wonder why I have a buddyclub short-shifter fitted [emoji12]

Other than that, not a lot of progress. I will be looking to get some new tyres soon, and might try and get it undersealed before the salt hits the roads.
By billster
Soooo, looks like this will be up for sale soon. I'm just working on getting it serviced, maybe a fresh MOT then go about writing the advert and taking some pictures (sob)

I'll be so sad to see it go, but I need to save some money, and the replacement is here already. Got myself into another Jap car, but it's a little Toyota iQ. A little bit of a change then.

Sad times!
By Braders
Well having owned this car since Bill sold it to me I've hardly used it.....it may be going up for sale this weekend as I'm currentky looking at a new everyday car.

I had great intentions of using this as a road legal track car however all its really done is sit there since the day I picked it up which seems shame.

If anybody is interested then let me know. Full for sale thread will more than likely appear this weekend.

Car is located in Cheshire for those interested.

Thanks

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]