The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By billster
Krstyper wrote:The oil gauge looks really good, are they hard to fit?
Glad to hear you got it all sorted
Cheers! Yeah, I'm dead chuffed with it to be honest. One of the best touches (apart from the engine working lol!)

Fairly easy to fit really, but I would definitely recommend a decent sandwich plate between the filter and block rather than the t-piece I originally had. Much sturdier. Other than that, the wiring is dead simple. One wire from sender to gauge and then just a switched live (there was a spare one behind the gear lever/cigarette lighter) to power the gauge and backlight. As for fitting the gauge into the drinks holder, Stu did all that and lined it with some spare leather trim he had, so it looks well smart. I think that took him quite a while as he is a total perfectionist!
:ugeek:
By mikeface
Sounds like you have had a bit of bad luck mate!

But rebuilding it back to OEM spec was the best idea, then you know that its been done properly and that all the internals are to the spec you would like them to be!
By billster
Kenwood DNX 7200

Not too bad really. Garmin satnav built in (although the maps need an expensive SD card to update)
I've got an iPod cable which means I can control iPod from the screen and watch movies from iPod. You can connect a reversing camera up to it. Bluetooth module is extra cost but worth it. Can't vouch for the sound quality really as only using OEM speakers all round, but Kenwood are usually pretty good.

The menu system is okay but looks a bit dated now and is not that user-friendly compared to newer models. I dread each time I have to disconnect the battery as it takes ages to reprogram preferences etc. Hope that helps :grin:
By Stevo M81
How have you found the conti contact 5's and what have they been like for wearing.
By billster
Really good actually. Done 1 swap of the front/ rear tyres to even out wear.

Absolutely brilliant handling in the dry. With the wet handling dropping off a bit now they're a little worn. I think I've done about 7k miles since fitting them and very impressed. I checked the tread yesterday and still plenty there. Hopefully another 5-6k miles.

Although a lot of my miles are motorway commuting at rush hour, there's a fair mix of fast country roads and a little bit of hooning around. No track days yet though. I got the XL fitment and finding it fine. No harsher than you'd expect with the Teins anyway.
By billster
I have a little update on my car. Not really done much, apart from drive it. But I had the chance to go to a dyno-day at Eurospec today with a few people off Celica-club UK and thought it would be nice to give it a run since the rebuild and compare figures as it was originally mapped by Romain at Eurospec when Bud had it.

I cleaned the air-filter one night last week as it was looking a bit dirty, and ordered some new spark-plugs. As it happens the plugs haven't arrived yet so it still has the old ones in, but I was wanting to make sure it put in a good show against all the Celicas :boxing:

I was really impressed with the results, and the confirmation that my mate Stu has really done a top job on the engine rebuild. Romain said that he could tell it was a really good engine, and it pulls and breathes really well. This guy knows his shizzle so :salut: hats off to Stu.

He did say that the map could do with a tiny bit of tweaking as it runs a little leaner than ideal at some points (at least i think that's what he said - my memory is terrible - might have been richer). He said this was probably due to having fresh piston-rings in there with better compression. He said there might be one or two more bhp to gain with those tweaks done as well. I can put up with this, but will be getting it done at some point, and I'll get them to make the "launch control" switchable too (so I can at least attempt to pass the static noise tests if I want to go on track). Anyway, enough chat. As they say, "every picture paints a thousand words":

(I'm off to see if I can find that missing 0.5 bhp with a fresh set of plugs and a little tweak to the map :ugeek: )

The original graph from March 2011 (not 2012 like it says on the bottom):

The comparable graph from today:

The AFR and WHP graph:

By Bud
Hey Bill

Glad too see your still looking after her

I see if i can dig out the Airfuel ratio from the tunning session i had with romain if i can find it just to compare it

Looks a tad rich on VTEC cross over but im no tuner and it might be like that for a reason. I recon another session with romain and you could squeez a noticeable amout of power out of her
By billster
Bud wrote:Hey Bill

Glad too see your still looking after her

I see if i can dig out the Airfuel ratio from the tunning session i had with romain if i can find it just to compare it

Looks a tad rich on VTEC cross over but im no tuner and it might be like that for a reason. I recon another session with romain and you could squeez a noticeable amout of power out of her
Cheers Bud. So glad I made the decision to keep and rebuild now!

Thanks for offering to find the dyno sheet. But Romain did have access to all your runs from the reg number. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I shall take it up there this week hopefully and let him work his magic. I thought he said it was a bit rich. But Stu remembered him saying it was lean. I think he said he aims for 13-13.5 mostly. But as I said my memory is terrible!
By billster
Another little update.

Back to Eurospec today for a little tweak to the k100 map.

I was amazed by the final results, almost managed 200 bhp at the wheels (199.5) and Romain again said how good an engine it was, really smooth pulling and nice torque curve. He adjusted the Vtec point up a little to 5100 (from 4800) to reduce the little dip in torque just before vtec and I asked him to reduce the rev-limit down to 8500 as I am a bit paranoid after the engine let go last time. Looking at the graphs though, it looks like he reduced it to 8400 or thereabouts.

He also made the launch control switchable, so it is activated as standard, so any time I want to do a static noise test (or rev the nuts off it in Tesco car-park) I can press the footbrake and it will rev all the way to the line :samuri:

Top guys at Eurospec and good to meet MassEP3 there and his grey EP3 that sounded awesome! Also, :salut: to the guy there with his blue FN2 with a Rotrex'd k24. Anyway, now for the all-important graph:

By Bud
Nice

You have a before and after result on the same graph? Be nice to see what sort of power its making in the midrange now compared to before
By billster
Bud wrote:Nice

You have a before and after result on the same graph? Be nice to see what sort of power its making in the midrange now compared to before
No, I don't have one of those unfortunately, but would be nice (and maybe not too hard) to make one. I just have to work out how to do it and have a bit of spare time...

1812_s wrote:looks good, what mods was this with?
Enginewise this is full DC exhaust with DC race manifold, Gruppe M, RBC inlet and heat shield gasket and a K100.

Oh yes, and Mugen-style pedals :grin:

It drives beautifully now. So smooth with the way the power comes on.
By 1812_s
billster wrote:
Bud wrote:Nice

No, I don't have one of those unfortunately, but would be nice (and maybe not too hard) to make one. I just have to work out how to do it and have a bit of spare time...

1812_s wrote:looks good, what mods was this with?
Enginewise this is full DC exhaust with DC race manifold, Gruppe M, RBC inlet and heat shield gasket and a K100.

Oh yes, and Mugen-style pedals :grin:

It drives beautifully now. So smooth with the way the power comes on.
nice, my car made 231 at eurospec with exact mods as yours minus rbc :smile:
By billster
nathanpar wrote:Nice results mate, looking forward to getting mine sorted next week :smile:
Cheers. Hope yours goes well! So nice driving it knowing it is running so well :cool:

1812_s wrote: nice, my car made 231 at eurospec with exact mods as yours minus rbc :smile:
Good power there too then 8-) . I think mine has gained a few extra bhp since having the rebuild with new piston rings etc in there. So it might not just be the RBC. Especially as it only made 230 when Bud had it mapped at Eurospec with the exact same bolt-ons it has now.
By billster
A mini update here. I just had 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric 2 tyres (215/45/17 91Y) fitted to the spare set of manky oem wheels that I picked up at the weekend.

I will hopefully get these wheels tidied up a bit before the conti 5s are too worn then I can use the contis as a spare get me home set just in case I shred these at the trackday in June :twisted:
By bennn
billster wrote:A mini update here. I just had 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric 2 tyres (215/45/17 91Y) fitted to the spare set of manky oem wheels that I picked up at the weekend.

I will hopefully get these wheels tidied up a bit before the conti 5s are too worn then I can use the contis as a spare get me home set just in case I shred these at the trackday in June :twisted:
Good choice mate, i've just put these on mine in the same size on Evo 9 wheels, they're great wet and dry!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]