The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
I said I would post some videos of the exhaust ages ago but have only just got around to posting them. They're probably 18 months old and aren't the greatest quality but I thought I'd share them none the less!

2.5" R8BYB unsilenced b-pipe only

..with the J's 60RR. It's A LOT louder in rely life, I'm contemplating getting a silenced b-pipe soon.

Last edited by Aid1987 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While my mates were working on their cars I started to get the urge to work on mine again and earlier on in the year I thought that I might as well get the EP3 to the sort of level that I always planned; the usual bolt-ons with 240-250BHP being my target (with the permission of the now fiancée of course!).

So back in Spring I started saving and collecting parts to fit once I had everything with the plan of booking a remap with someone like Tdi, Eurospec, CPL etc. I also planned on getting my valve clearances done at the same time as well as to have the timing chain and tensioner checked and replaced if necessary.

First off I bought a Tegiwa M air intake which couldn’t have happened at a better time as Tegiwa were having a 10% sale on their FB page! :-D

As I knew I wouldn’t be able to spend much on the car in the coming years I thought I might as well make the most of it and get a 70mm throttle body while I could afford it. I had a look around on the internet and wanting something a bit different I eventually ordered a black Hybrid Racing item which I had to order directly from them in the US. :cool:

As I was already paying a silly amount for shipping and taxes, not to mention to the customs fees that I got stung with about a month later I thought it would be rude not to make the most of it so I decided to order a new fuel rail and push-fit fuel line connector from Hybrid at the same time!

It had to be black to match the TB because I decided to go for an all black intake set-up.

Fuel rail from the HR website

Push-fit connector

I had sent a couple of emails to David Cordell at HR to make sure everything was compatible with my UK spec EP3 which he said it was but wouldn't have any new fuels in stock for around 6 weeks until some more were manufactured.

By this time I had booked a mapping session at Tdi North in August which was still a little way off but I needed to make sure I had enough time to fit everything and to sort out any problems that might crop up. With this in mind I decided not to get the fuel rail especially as they wouldn't ship the Tb until the fuel rail was ready. Luckily I’d seen that Stevie at Eightspeed had started selling some Hybrid stuff and had a black fuel rail in stock!

This presented its own problems because it arrived with the two fuels bungs missing and after chasing it with Stevie a few times and him chasing with his supplier for over a month (in hindsight it would have been easier to just wait and get it directly from Hybrid) I contacted David from Hybrid and explained my situation . Suffice to say, he was an absolute legend and arranged to have a couple of bungs sent to me (plus a couple of wrist bands) at his expense which arrived in just over a week.

Overall I’d like to say that Hybrid Racing is an awesome company who make quality products and have a great network of staff if David their Sale Director is anything to go by!

Next up I ordered a port-matched (70mm) RBC intake manifold from another of Tegiwa’s discount days.

Because a lot of the parts ended up being new I decided to send my rocker cover back off to Bren for him to freshen it up.

I also sent of the RBC to be painted at the same time and a couple of weeks later they were back with me!

New turquoise rocker cover inspired by old Porsche photo I found online after my mate suggested the colour.

Wrinkle black RBC

Quick photo to show what it'll all look like together. :cool: :-D

I then bought a exhaust manifold from Alan at Solid Fabrications which came with a decat pipe as well as the Sports CAT I asked for.

Last edited by Aid1987 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now I had enough to start removing the OEM parts but bought some other bits and pieces which I needed before I could start fitting the new stuff.

Hondata thermal gasket which I got new from another member for only £30.

Some nice new and shiny hose clips

New OEM rocker cover washers to replace the awful Tegiwa ones in which the the little rubber O-ring had disintegrated.

Scuttle panel tidy from Martin aka Dent-remover :bigthumb:

Martin also gave me the dimensions that I needed to cut the scuttle panel in the right place which helped a lot, I’ve drawn them up a bit neater and posted them below if they’re of any use to anyone but I’m not responsible if it goes wrong so check before you cut! :wink:

He also recommended using a soldering iron to cut the scuttle panel and I managed to find a relatively cheap one in Halfords.

Scuttle panel cut and ready for scuttle tidy.

Trial fit

Rocker cover, Tegiwa M fitted and OEM fuel rail removed.

I had to use some washers to pack out the bracket mounting which holds the heat shield.

OEM manifold and throttle body removed

OEM 63mm TB vs. 70mm Hybrid Racing TB :cooldude:

Now I needed to start modifying the slam panel in order to get the RBC to fit which involved a hack saw and file.

billster wrote:Looking good mate. Nice work :cool:
Cheers mate. :salut:
SeanEP3 wrote:looking awesome. love the Hybrid Racing stuff!

where in herts are you?
Me too! Got their shifter bushes as well.

I'm from Bishop's Stortford (near Stansted), you?
bluntcap wrote:Nice choice of parts mate, looking very good. Be interested to see the specs on the manifold.
Thanks blunt, got some more photos coming including the remap graph. :bigthumb:

Stevo M81 wrote:Loving the new bits and pieces also the cam covers paint looks great [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Thanks Steve. Bren's done another great job. :bigthumb:
FunkyRemix wrote:Looking well [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Can I ask how much the manifold and both pipes cost as it looks an ideal set up?

If I remember correctly it was around £550 to have the manifold made. I wanted to keep the car road legal and unfortunately there aren't many decent Sports CAT options available.

It's cheaper that the Piper equivalent and I didn't even ask for the decat pipe but got one anyway. :)

By the way, it would normally be more expensive but he gave me some discount for being a member in here.
I also bought some rubber U-channel from eBay to tidy up the edge of the cut slam panel.

The end result

I had to keep trial fitting the RBC to work out how much of the slam panel needed cutting but once it was all done it looked great.

RBC fitted

Solid-Fab manifold and new gaskets

Old vs. new

Close up

Getting the old manifold and CAT off was relatively easy but the hardest part was getting the O2 sensors off! I ended up having to buy a Sealey Oxygen sensor removal tool (which you can see in the photo below) because a normal spanner wasn’t up to the job because of the way the sensors are recessed into the CAT.

I also used some penetrating spray to help free the sensors but it still took ages to get them out and even had to give the sensor tool a few whacks with a hammer to shock them loose!

Oxygen sensors finally out

OEM injectors fitted to the Hybrid fuel rail

All fitted!

Now the moment of truth, starting it up to make sure everything was OK. As with a lot of things when working on cars, this didn’t go to plan. The car was idling around 4000RPM and I had a small fuel leak coming from the grub screw on the fuel rail where you can mount a pressure gauge.

Switched everything off and managed to work out that there was a hole on top of RBC which I later realised can be used as an alternative mounting point for the MAP sensor. As the loom wasn’t long enough to reach this port I left the MAP sensor connected to the throttle body and tried using the blanking plug that came with the throttle body.

This worked to a degree but the car was now idling at around 2000RPM and was still sucking air in because it wasn’t a tight fit. I managed to solve the problem by ordering a rubber bung from eBay which worked brilliantly!

Open port

The port blanked off with the rubber bung

Now everything was complete and I had about a week left until my 400 mile round trip to Tdi North to have my car mapped by Paul. As I mentioned earlier I was going to have the timing chain and tensioner replaced if it needed doing so I booked a couple of nights at the local Premier Inn because I knew it would be a long day if they did and I knew I wouldn’t fancy driving home that night.

Left home on the Thursday night and ended up taking 7 hours to get there because of about 3 road closures and diversions, and another road being shut while Police cleared some debris that was scattered across a dual carriage way. To say I was shattered when I got to Premier Inn at 1am was an understatement!

Being up north the night before meant my car was nice and cool the next day ready for the clearances to be adjusted and the guys to crack on with fitting the K100 and getting it mapped. Paul said that I didn’t need the chain and tensioner doing so that saved me some money.

Had a nice chat with a couple of FN owners from the type-r owners forum while I was waiting and keeping an eye on the car.

A few snaps from the day at Tdi

The EP on the rollers!

Came out with 22% more power! 241.6 BHP :twisted: :cool: :WOOT

Paul said the CAT was a bit restrictive but is a massive improvement on OEM which it definitely is as it drives great and I'm really happy with it! I might consider putting the decat pipe on at a later date but maybe not until I have some other mods fitted though. A good excuse to save up for some cams I suppose... :wink:

Anyway, big thanks to Paul and the guys, done a great job and was well worth the long drive up there. :salut: :bigthumb:
Thanks, I'm glad I got over 240. I know numbers aren't everything but it was just a little personal goal of mine. :smile: The power is great but I can't imagine how much more extreme yours must feel though!

I was tempted to but I really wanted to keep the car street legal. I may put the decat in later next year as I'm thinking about doing the odd track day.
FRANKCTR wrote:That engine bay looks proper cool mate [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

What does Bren charge to paint the RBC I fancy getting that done myself and the cam cover too
Thanks fella, I'm pleased with how it came out. :smile:

Think I paid around £100 in total. 60 for the cam cover and 40 for the RBC. My RBC was brand new (ie. clean) so not sure if he would charge more if it was dirty.

There's a thread on here solely for the cam covers he paints, it's got prices on there.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]