The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
billster wrote:Nice pics mate. And in the museum, 'wot, no ep3??'
Thanks, and no there wasn't an EP3! :shock:
FunkyRemix wrote:Thanks for the pictures [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Would live a tuning shop like that locally, try on the the wheels :-D
No problem, thought if anyone would appreciate them, CTRO would. :bigthumb:

Haha, I think I would get on their nerves because I'd be in there every weekend trying out parts. :lol:
The next day we began the return journey down from Nikko where we had spent the night and drove up into the mountains as we headed towards our second destination.

A few photos on the way there..

Lake Chuzenji

Now, I’m not sure why we didn’t think about this before but we started to come across ice and snow which wasn't exactly ideal for a RWD sports car! :lol:

I’ll never forget this photo, just as I was looking through the lens of my camera to take the picture my mate accidently swung the back end out but was able to get it back under control!

Then it got worse.. :???:

On the way down, when the roads were still covered in snow and ice we lost traction as started sliding down the hill and to make it worse we went on to the other side of the road as a bus was coming up in the opposite direction and started beeping us! Again, we rescued it and all was good! :-D
Last edited by Aid1987 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So after driving for a couple of hours we got to our second destination, Mt Haruna, or as some may know it, Mt Akina from Initial D! :cool:

Another MX-5 blasting its way up and down the mountain.

This GT86 was going all night, even after we had left.

Me setting off for a downhill run. :-D

After a good few runs up and down the hill the sun started to set which me one thing...

...night time downhill runs! :wink:

Our final stop before we had to drop the car off the next day was Daikoku Futo in Tokyo, unfortunately it wasn’t as busy as we had hoped but we still saw some cool cars.

S15 and RX7 blasting their way across the free way.

The guy who got out of this was the girliest, manga haired man you could imagine! :shock: :lol:

There were loads of Porches about, and there was one making such a racket you could here it for miles!

Last edited by Aid1987 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A few other cars I snapped throughout Japan...

I’ll never forget the strange looks I got from some of the people around me when I took this, they were looking at me as if to say “why are you taking a photo of a Civic!?” :lol:

There were loads of other cars; Skylines, Integras, Civics etc. (especially in the mountain towns :cool: ) but I couldn't get the camera out quick enough to take photos. Anyway, that concludes my mini Japan blog so thanks for looking!

Next up will be some updates of my own car! :WOOT
Rambo wrote:Just read your thread. Car is very well modded I really like it. And japan.....take me with you!!!!!
Thanks mate :bigthumb:
bondyboy wrote:that trip to Japan looks epic, well jel :bigthumb:
It really was! :samuri:
Anyway, after the madness of Japan I got back to saving for a mortgage and watched as my mates worked on their cars, and lent a hand where I could...

(B18c swap into an EJ9) :cool:

After a couple of years at my new job I finally got what I was after, a company car, but this meant I had to sell Henry which was a lot harder than I imagined as he served me well on my daily commutes to different sites.

He didn't go far as I sold him to my mate while he had his DC2 off the road but has since been sold on and now resides in or around Colchester.

4.7 miles on the clock! :smile:

By now I was getting a little bored of the carbon effect wrap on my centre console and wanted to freshen up the interior a bit so I copied the style of my A1 which had a mix of black plastic and gloss black controls/surrounds and sprayed the dash and handles Honda Nighthawk Black.

When it came to my EP3 I knew that the clutch had needed replacing for a little while but put it off because I only drive it at weekends but decided that I didn’t want to put it off any longer so bought an Exedy Stage 1 from Stevie at Eightspeed.

After doing some research and reading good reviews I ordered some Amsoil gearbox oil from Opie Oils as well some bits for my service which was just about due.

A while back, when I knew the clutch would need replacing had planned on getting someone to fit it for me but once I had it I thought I might as well do it myself. I was a little bit anxious because I’ve never fitted one before but like a lot of people I enjoy working on cars so thought I might as well give it a go, especially as I could take my time to make sure it was done properly as I don’t need to drive it during the week.

No ramp for me, I had to jack the car up as high as I could get it to give me enough space to work.

As most people probably know, changing the clutch on an EP is a bit of a pain because you ideally have to remove the sub-frame in order to drop the gearbox.

Up until this point everything was pretty straight forward, I had been following a couple of online guides and a workshop manual I had saved to my phone.

As I had to drain the old gearbox fluid I took the opportunity to put a Spoon magnetic gearbox plug in.

I even put the fiancée to work!

Next up was to remove the bell housing which proved a little more tricky. The engine was only being supported by one mount and a jack by this point I found it helped to lower the engine a tad to give me a bit more room to manoeuvre the box.

Finally got it out

Old clutch

Clutch removed

Old vs. New

Stage 1 all lined up

Now for the hard bit, refitting the bell-housing (after fitting the new input shaft bearing)!

This took ages; it was bad enough trying to remove it on my own but getting it back in was a nightmare. Once I did get it in and had all the bolts lined up I couldn't get the bell housing to sit flush with the gearbox and was left with a 10mm gap.

I gave up that weekend and left it there until the following week after calling my mate to give me a hand. I made a start and wouldn't you know it, I managed to get it flush literally 2 minutes before he turned up! :-D :lol:

He stayed and gave me a hand re-fitting the sub-frame but just before we did I fitted some Energy poly engine mount inserts which I had sitting around for over a year before.

Energy Suspension inserts

Old mount before

Inserts fitted

Car vibrates a lot more now but feels great when accelerating, no wheel spin at all so far. I'm not sure if this is down to the mounts or the new Continental Contact Sport 2's I had fitted just before changing the clutch, It may be a combination of the both, but either way its feels fantastic to drive!

I took it easy with the new clutch for a little while just to make sure everything was OK and that there weren't any problems. Luckily I had to drive up north for a booking I had so I could put a few miles on the clutch. :wink:
Last edited by Aid1987 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1812_s wrote:Nice work mate :smile:
How do you find your stage 1.....when I did mine I hanged the box by a string and was able to manoeuvre it around alot easier and it lined up rather quickly.
exedy stage 1 quite smelly dont you think?
Thanks. :smile: Good idea buying don't really have anywhere to hang it from. Lining it up wasn't to bad but just getting it to sit flush, probably wasn't trying hard enough. :lol:

Noticed a little bit of a smell but only when flooring it but it isn't that bad, might go away after it's been used more.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]