The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
dannyhall wrote:
R'ash wrote:I'm having mine fitted on the 23rd so a sneak preview would be nice :cool: before any other mods would be good as the car is pretty similar at the moment [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
23rd of this month? Yeah I'll get one uploaded ASAP. What engine mods are you running Ash? Or is it still in stock'ish form?
Yes so in a couple of weeks :-D I only have a tegiwa catback and cai fitted still with stock ecu aswell. Thats next on list header and k100
dannyhall wrote:
R'ash wrote:I'm having mine fitted on the 23rd so a sneak preview would be nice :cool: before any other mods would be good as the car is pretty similar at the moment [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
23rd of this month? Yeah I'll get one uploaded ASAP. What engine mods are you running Ash? Or is it still in stock'ish form?
ctr-lib wrote:Bloodyhell dan not hanging around eh! Some nice mods coming now

I'm not going to make the trackday in February still haven't fitted parts yet :sad:
Haha gotta be done while I can, mortgage payments are still low while the ex is paying her share (& my food shopping lol)

Thats a shame mate but you were planning for March anyway? Have you seen the Mimms trackday at Rockingham in April - could try get a few sessions there? If not theres Oulton end of March on Javelin I think..
*nub* wrote:Lol! I'd stretch to a tegiwa or similar header if you can mate as I've got a theory that both dc sports and japspeed headers may be a bit restrictive beyond 250bhp or so with that cammed NA setup. can't be certain of course but the reason I say this is (and I may have said it before...) is the setup with TDi cams can make over 265bhp but as little as 254bhp. considering the other factors/mods that influence gains the difference as I've observed on a few occasions is that the lower readings tend to have dc sports or japspeed as the potential weak link. This is just my opinion from what I've observed on other ep3s with the drop in cams., I may be proven wrong. Friend of mine only got 254bhp which is possible without spending £1500 on cams and if it were me id want to aim for 260+.
Hmm food for thought, the Japspeed isnt off Robs car yet but I'll await a respone from TDI and ask for their opinion too. EP3 Pete on TRO made 259/175 with a similar set up to what I want..? Have you got any links with dyno charts etc?

Problem with the Tegiwa header is the need for a JDM ARB so makes it a £600 header whereas the Japspeed is £450 cheaper... Is 5bhp at the most worth £450?

I'll see what TDI recommend and consider my options.. Seems the best thing I can do :???:
Like I said I noticed some ep3s getting 254bhp, a few 268bhp which is a big difference and all on TDI North rollers. Looking at the other supporting mods I determined that the header may be the weak link based on what I have learned about mods and their typical gains. Other unknown factors could be ambient temp and fuel, and higher mileage cars tend to make a bit more so I may be wrong. But IMO cams aren't worth it unless you can hit 260!
R'ash wrote:Yes so in a couple of weeks :-D I only have a tegiwa catback and cai fitted still with stock ecu aswell. Thats next on list header and k100
Bet you cant wait, I love mine makes it a completely different car [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Ah sound yeah simliar set up to mine presently. Making camera mount V2 & plan to get a video in the next few days
*nub* wrote:
dannyhall wrote:

I'm not going to make the trackday in February still haven't fitted parts yet :sad:
Haha gotta be done while I can, mortgage payments are still low while the ex is paying her share (& my food shopping lol)

Thats a shame mate but you were planning for March anyway? Have you seen the Mimms trackday at Rockingham in April - could try get a few sessions there? If not theres Oulton end of March on Javelin I think..
*nub* wrote:Lol! I'd stretch to a tegiwa or similar header if you can mate as I've got a theory that both dc sports and japspeed headers may be a bit restrictive beyond 250bhp or so with that cammed NA setup. can't be certain of course but the reason I say this is (and I may have said it before...) is the setup with TDi cams can make over 265bhp but as little as 254bhp. considering the other factors/mods that influence gains the difference as I've observed on a few occasions is that the lower readings tend to have dc sports or japspeed as the potential weak link. This is just my opinion from what I've observed on other ep3s with the drop in cams., I may be proven wrong. Friend of mine only got 254bhp which is possible without spending £1500 on cams and if it were me id want to aim for 260+.
Hmm food for thought, the Japspeed isnt off Robs car yet but I'll await a respone from TDI and ask for their opinion too. EP3 Pete on TRO made 259/175 with a similar set up to what I want..? Have you got any links with dyno charts etc?

Problem with the Tegiwa header is the need for a JDM ARB so makes it a £600 header whereas the Japspeed is £450 cheaper... Is 5bhp at the most worth £450?

I'll see what TDI recommend and consider my options.. Seems the best thing I can do :???:
Like I said I noticed some ep3s getting 254bhp, a few 268bhp which is a big difference and all on TDI North rollers. Looking at the other supporting mods I determined that the header may be the weak link based on what I have learned about mods and their typical gains. Other unknown factors could be ambient temp and fuel, and higher mileage cars tend to make a bit more so I may be wrong. But IMO cams aren't worth it unless you can hit 260!
Well TDI recommended for me to go with a Tegiwa/Toda header rather than the Japspeed as they make better mid range. I know of an unused Tegiwa going so just awaiting a response now.

Cars on 90K now so hopefully will make good power... :cool:

Yeah I agree 260 is a nice number, aslong as it pulls hard and drives nicely then that'll do nicely :twisted:
dannyhall wrote:
R'ash wrote:Yes so in a couple of weeks :-D I only have a tegiwa catback and cai fitted still with stock ecu aswell. Thats next on list header and k100
Bet you cant wait, I love mine makes it a completely different car [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Ah sound yeah simliar set up to mine presently. Making camera mount V2 & plan to get a video in the next few days
*nub* wrote:
dannyhall wrote:

Well TDI recommended for me to go with a Tegiwa/Toda header rather than the Japspeed as they make better mid range. I know of an unused Tegiwa going so just awaiting a response now.

Yeah I agree 260 is a nice number, aslong as it pulls hard and drives nicely then that'll do nicely :twisted:
I've heard this claim as well but never seen much of a difference or any direct comparisons between the toda/tegiwa and japspeed when regular bolt ons are concerned. might be a difference in the power curve I guess, Paul must have seen a million dynos by now so he should know. Still my 4-1 header makes more mid range than the cammed dyno plots i've seen, but it may be that the cams sacrifice some mid range for more top end power. I have a dyno somewhere of an EP3 making 268bhp but cant find it atm
*nub* wrote:
dannyhall wrote:

*nub* wrote:
dannyhall wrote:

I've heard this claim as well but never seen much of a difference or any direct comparisons between the toda/tegiwa and japspeed when regular bolt ons are concerned. might be a difference in the power curve I guess, Paul must have seen a million dynos by now so he should know. Still my 4-1 header makes more mid range than the cammed dyno plots i've seen, but it may be that the cams sacrifice some mid range for more top end power. I have a dyno somewhere of an EP3 making 268bhp but cant find it atm
Yeah we'll have to wait & see.. He did say it makes more midrange so maybe similar in every other part of the curve. My old car made 175 lb/ft with piper mani/fujitsubo & tegiwa m no rbc. But think you may be right as cams do make good numbers top end. Looking forward to it!

K Tuned fuel gauge & gauge turned up today. Ordered black but quite like the sliver.. :???: Also managed to build another camera mount, and do a little test vid. Even gave it a wash too!

Better pic of one of the evo wheels

Video

Rear arch roll, FRSU & underseal coming next.. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Haha thats the plan! :lol:

I'll keep this one for awhile now, not doing what I did with the red one (built then sold..!)

Will be towards the end of the year now but doing my CBT in next couple of months and i'll use a bike for work before getting a sensible car - fancy a 330d m sport. New house first though :-D
Cheers Keiran [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Must say yours looks pretty darn cool! Did you sort the problem out with yours?

Not much of an update apart from tyres fitted to evo wheels and car parts now all turned up :cool:

There is;
70mm RBC
70mm Skunk2 TB
70mm adaptor plate
K Tuned fuel rail with gauge
440cc RC injectors
K100 ecu remapped for rbc/header back/tegiwa cai
JDM arbs
DS2500 bbk pads

Looking forward to getting it all fitted!
Kieran_CTR wrote:Thanks bro :-D yeah all fixed now thanks, was cheap TPS that kept going faulty so bought a k-tuned one & problem solved! Was a long 7 weeks! Your car is coming along well though nice build so far, how come u sold your monster?
Ah sound, guess its true then, buy cheap buy twice :???:

Hoping I dont have any issues when my new TB etc go on...

Cheers bud, I sold it to buy a house with the ex - regretted selling it the moment it drove off! But now we've split up & house is for sale and I fancy building another one - just without the JRSC and doing the bits to this I didnt do to the red one..

All booked in to have the RBC etc fitted next tuesday - cant wait :-D
WHAT! Don't listen to your next gf & sell this one :lol: glad to see u are doing a new build your own way bud! Soon as u get rid of a car & u know u aw gutted u know u made a mistake :lol: I miss my RS but really do love my ep3. Do u think u will stay N/A? Mines 253bhp & 181lbft but I want more power but not sure what more to do yet as its got a lot done! What's your future plans for yours or engine & exterior?
Kieran_CTR wrote:WHAT! Don't listen to your next gf & sell this one :lol: glad to see u are doing a new build your own way bud! Soon as u get rid of a car & u know u aw gutted u know u made a mistake :lol: I miss my RS but really do love my ep3. Do u think u will stay N/A? Mines 253bhp & 181lbft but I want more power but not sure what more to do yet as its got a lot done! What's your future plans for yours or engine & exterior?
Oh ah I defo wont next time around! Tbh though I was toying with the idea of letting it go anyway and the right house came up at a similar time.. Oh well. Thats right though as soon as it was gone I knew id made a mistake!

Yeah this one will stay n/a, would like to fit a mugen splitter, grille etc but takes time. Also i'd like another car and keep this as a weekend warrior :cool:

Yeah yours is good power already, just take it to some trackdays to satisfy the craving for more power, for now! :lol:
dannyhall wrote:
Kieran_CTR wrote:WHAT! Don't listen to your next gf & sell this one :lol: glad to see u are doing a new build your own way bud! Soon as u get rid of a car & u know u aw gutted u know u made a mistake :lol: I miss my RS but really do love my ep3. Do u think u will stay N/A? Mines 253bhp & 181lbft but I want more power but not sure what more to do yet as its got a lot done! What's your future plans for yours or engine & exterior?
Oh ah I defo wont next time around! Tbh though I was toying with the idea of letting it go anyway and the right house came up at a similar time.. Oh well. Thats right though as soon as it was gone I knew id made a mistake!

Yeah this one will stay n/a, would like to fit a mugen splitter, grille etc but takes time. Also i'd like another car and keep this as a weekend warrior :cool:

Yeah yours is good power already, just take it to some trackdays to satisfy the craving for more power, for now! :lol:
Good lad don't do it again! Yeah they defiantly take time to build, what bhp u aiming for?

:lol: yeah I'm going to the tracks this summer, not sure which one yet but keep browsing & seeing which people's favourites are! But I need to get this urge out my system to just drive it hard round a track but will need 4 new tyres before I go & some track DC5 alloys :-D
Kieran_CTR wrote:
dannyhall wrote:

Good lad don't do it again! Yeah they defiantly take time to build, what bhp u aiming for?

:lol: yeah I'm going to the tracks this summer, not sure which one yet but keep browsing & seeing which people's favourites are! But I need to get this urge out my system to just drive it hard round a track but will need 4 new tyres before I go & some track DC5 alloys :-D
Haha I won't be doing that in a hurry, never again! I'll just park it up and it'll be a garage queen rather than selling it! I'd love 260+ tbh, but anything over 255 I'd be happy with..

Soon see what it makes, all booked in at TDI for 2nd March.

Oulton is a epic track! But then there's so many, I really liked Cadwell too but was a difficult track to master & a tad scary with v little run off! :???:

I'm sure there will be a CTRO day in the summer?
1812_s wrote:just out of interest did you feel any difference with the lsd in this car to your old red one ?
Hi mate, yes big difference. Red one never noticed the diff until I went out on track, but on roundabouts this actually launches you into the roundabout, really does pull you hard! However the car tramlines big time with uneven camber, but hopefully will be better once it gets its FRSU next week..
Bit of a long overdue update..

Did Oulton a few weeks back now, fantastic day really did forget how well these cars go with sticky rubber and a K100! Awesome group of lads as per usual and the Civics were out in good numbers. Before the trackday I had all of the above fitted - RBC/Tegiwa Header/JDM ARBs/K100 running a base map. Car went really well and sounded epic with the old M2/R8BYB exhaust set up.. Even matched the old JRSC'd civic lap time round there with a 2.03 :shock:

Few pictures/video

Then it was time to go to TDi North for a set of their cams & 3" cat back with a remap to suit. Paul struggled at first mapping it with the gearbox, as the ratios are so short compared to OEM however in 6th gear it pulled 270.3BHP & 181.1LB/FT! Was a very long day while the lads had a few issues with an Audi on the rollers but the drive home was well worth it. Even got pulled for speeding on the way back but glad I wasnt giving it big guns and think he wanted a closer look at the car more than anything!

Was gutted that the RC injectors I bought from the states turned out to be for a B series, sent out the wrong ones FFS however Paul sorted me a set of the RDX 440cc injectors for a very good price. Still waiting on the refund grr...

On the day it was cammed etc I accepted an offer on the house, so been flat out sorting that out aswell having a cheeky offer accepted on a little bungalow with a double garage & yard as a back garden. So my next updates will be in the summer where I'll be tarting the garage up and detailing the Civic. I may even treat it to a set of wheels seeing as the OEMs are battered!

Few random pictures

Comments welcome as always

Thanks for looking
Dan

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]