The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By Cosmic-Dan
Just saw this on your Instagram, shame to see that much metal in the gearbox, atleast you can say the magnetic plug works
By Delboy23
Eric_Sn@il wrote:not a thing. cars I pulled the splitter off to check for the exhaust noise. then noticed the leak! still drives perfect :-/
That's strange considering the damage! Let's hope there's no bad damage to inside the box.

What oil pressure would you see on track on your car?
By Eric_Sn@il
Delboy23 wrote:
Eric_Sn@il wrote:not a thing. cars I pulled the splitter off to check for the exhaust noise. then noticed the leak! still drives perfect :-/
That's strange considering the damage! Let's hope there's no bad damage to inside the box.

No more than normal, think its 90psi on my gauge.

So yeah...

Box is toast

Well, not quite that bad, the diff and final drive can be saved, but the casing is dead.

New one of those is sorted, getting new synchros fitted along with seals and bearings etc.

Diff is also getting pulled apart and double checked over. So its not as bad as it could have been but its still expensive :'(
By Delboy23
Eric_Sn@il wrote:
Delboy23 wrote:

So yeah...

Box is toast

Well, not quite that bad, the diff and final drive can be saved, but the casing is dead.

New one of those is sorted, getting new synchros fitted along with seals and bearings etc.

Diff is also getting pulled apart and double checked over. So its not as bad as it could have been but its still expensive :'(
6 bar or so? What is your sender tapped into then? I don't see half that pressure on track.

Shame about the box, looks nasty. What actually let go?
By Eric_Sn@il
Delboy23 wrote:
Eric_Sn@il wrote:
Delboy23 wrote:

So yeah...

Box is toast

6 bar or so? What is your sender tapped into then? I don't see half that pressure on track.

Shame about the box, looks nasty. What actually let go?
roughly yeah, its mounted on the sandwich plate in between the oil filter from what i remember.

Clutch release bearing ultimately caused it :(
By Delboy23
That's a clutchmasters 400 isn't it?? I've the same :S

What mileage was on it buddy?
By Eric_Sn@il
Delboy23 wrote:That's a clutchmasters 400 isn't it?? I've the same :S

What mileage was on it buddy?
No idea, its a stage 4 6 puck one.

About 2k miles lol
By Delboy23
Jeez! Not bedded in properly or something? Didn't expect you to say 2k miles lol
By Eric_Sn@il
the clutch release bearing broke a part off as shown above. the clutch itself is fine. I think it's just a bad cast when being made. just happens it's me and my gearbox that takes the hit... again
By Eric_Sn@il
Delboy23 wrote:Which setup will you go for now?

Rotten luck that.
Going for a competition clutch twin plate i think
By Eric_Sn@il
Hoping this should last a little longer

Supposedly 1200bhp rated :lol:
By jonezy
As much as I would love one of these, you not worried about the slave cylinder having to push that?
By Eric_Sn@il
jonezy wrote:As much as I would love one of these, you not worried about the slave cylinder having to push that?
In what way?

If it was an issue Comp Clutch would supply a different slave surely?
By jonezy
I would have thought so too, supposedly they don't cope too well.
Weather that's just down to old slave cylinders people try to use I don't know.
By Eric_Sn@il
Been a while since i updated. Got a little frustrated with the car and sick of spending money. So just let it sit.

Anyways. Past all that, got the clutch and the box fitted back in finally.

All cleaned up -

In place after going in and out twice after i forgot to fit the locating dowels first time round

Little lad came to give me a hand

First drive out, eventfull to say the least

First test drive was fine ran perfect, second time driving it kept cutting out over bumps and jerky throttle

Found out i'd managed to crush my TPS sensor when doing the clutch,

tried a solly special bodge -

Failed miserably, queue 20 minutes covering someones drive trying to get the fecking thing started again.

Got a new tb off a mate of mine -

So now im on with the tedious task of bedding in the new clutch, awesome when rolling, horrible for stop start use!

Also got these to stick on the calipers a mate of mine gave me, be interesting to see what temp they are getting up to -

Once the clutch is bedded in im going to be installing this -

Custom made gearbox cooler, with thermostatic switch -

By Lewisgame
Interesting with the gearbox oil cooler. I take it the fittings just go in place of the drain and fill plugs?
Do you think the gearbox is overheating causing you issues?
By ADRi NH674P
Usually you need to drill new holes.

All gearboxes overheat, specially on track, but nobody knows because nobody runs a gearbox temperature gauge.

One of the best upgrades if you track your car.
By Eric_Sn@il
Lewisgame wrote:Interesting with the gearbox oil cooler. I take it the fittings just go in place of the drain and fill plugs?
Do you think the gearbox is overheating causing you issues?
The do indeed.

No not at all, its poor products from Clutchmasters that caused the issues.

But im a firm believe that if you break something upgrade it. I know gearboxes do run very hot, especially with me running a plated diff. so being able to run an extra litre of fluid that is cooled should help, also with running an extra litre of fluid if there are any issues with it again where oil is leaking out, hopefully that gives me a little extra time to fix the leak rather than the gearbox collapsing again.
ADRi NH674P wrote:Usually you need to drill new holes.

All gearboxes overheat, specially on track, but nobody knows because nobody runs a gearbox temperature gauge.

One of the best upgrades if you track your car.
Running it off the drain and fill holes.

Thanks, i plan on fitting a temp gauge shortly too
By Eric_Sn@il
Progress has been slow recently, just not had the time.

I have however been stock piling parts -

New SHG Rack slider to hopefully stop the knocking

Bit of engine bay bling, full downstar kit

Also some prep work done, spot the difference -

Got a set of these coming too -

which mount like this -

Will allow me to run some ducting nicely to it

also got a big sheet of this -

hoping i can mount it similar to TDI do theres on the DC5, i have a metal one shoehorned in behind the turbo, but it really doesnt seem to be doing anything to protect the rack :(

Going to make a start getting the gearbox cooler mounted this weekend so pictures of that when its done :)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]