The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By Dannygti
gobbledygook wrote:That's good to know. I'm currently running 400bhp with 1 bar of boost, so hope to get 450bhp with about 1.25 bar. I'm starting with the 110mm pully just to test things out and will drop down a size if i'm not getting enough boost. Charge temperatures were pretty good at 1 bar of boost so i'm hoping they won't increase too much at 1.25 bar.

I very much doubt you'll get that boost pressure with that pulley.. I'm running my Rotrex flat out to achieve 1.35bar.. So around 89,000rpm. I think if you make a genuine 400hp with a 110mm pulley your doing pretty well.
By Dannygti
gobbledygook wrote:Thanks, I'll see what happens. If my setup runs similar to yours it looks like i'll have to drop down to at least the 105mm pulley. I also have a k24 crank pulley that i can play with, so i have plenty of options.

Keep us updated on your findings.. Where will it be mapped?
I have just finished a few test runs and with a 105mm pulley at 8600rpm engine speed (85000rpm impeller speed) I'm getting 1.32bar of boost. With any luck that should give me 450bhp.

In the end I didn't have a tight enough belt to run the 110mm pulley, but could see before it started to slip that I wouldn't make enough boost, so dropped down to the 105mm pulley and a better belt.
I spent a cracking day at TDI North a couple of weeks back getting the new charger dialled in.

With everything switched on I'm now making about 480bhp. With the nitrous off it's about 430bhp.

I asked Paul to produce me a map where the power dropped off after hitting about 400bhp, to encourage me to change gear earlier and help prevent me running into the limiter as often. Paul wound back a bit of timing and hey presto:

The car feels a lot smoother now, it's road manners around town have returned! It's been a few years since it had it's last full tune, so the engine must have evolved a bit over time. I have not had chance to test the new 'soft cut' map at the limit, but if I don't like it I can always upload the full power map and learn to keep an eye on my shift light!

I've now booked trackdays at Rockingham on 21st March and Croft on 4th May, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to check out my new maps.
Last edited by gobbledygook on Mon May 29, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By D4Z3D
gobbledygook wrote:I'm still doing the two track days, might see you tomorrow then!
I'm subscribed to your youtube channel and waiting on the videos, stop keeping your fanbase waiting ! :lol:
Lol, I have a fan base! I hope to get a video or two up at the weekend, I have a lot on at the moment.

I had a cracking day at Rockingham. The track wasn't exactly what I was expecting and it would take a few visits to get up to full speed, but it was still a fun day.

Unfortunately my charger broke on the last session of the day, which is bloody annoying considering I've done everything I can to make it last. Anyway it's in the post to TTS for a warranty return again!

Good to meet you Danny, your car is a work of art! I'm happy to help and hope you get your gremlins ironed out soon.
By D4Z3D
gobbledygook wrote:
Unfortunately my charger broke on the last session of the day, which is bloody annoying considering I've done everything I can to make it last. Anyway it's in the post to TTS for a warranty return again!
Ouch not good, that was your third one? I think you could get 350 bhp reliably from a cooled roots type charger (old jackson racing set ups), would you ever consider abandoning the Rotrex stuff?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]