The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
jonezy wrote:How you finding the long 6th? Assuming you have oem FD?
It makes things a bit quieter at 70mph, which is what I was after. I have not yet had a chance for a long motorway trip, but when I do I expect it to be a little more comfortable. I have kept the standard FD as I rattle through the gears fast enough with the power I have. In fact, I did consider a longer FD at one point!

doug2507 wrote:Where did you source the rebuild kit for the rear callipers Ben?
The rebuild kit came from http://brakeparts.co.uk/. You get all the rubber seals and a tube of grease for the caliper slider pins. You will ideally also need to get some rubber grease and copper washers for the brake pipes to do a full job. I also bought new pistons from brakeparts, as I was convinced the old ones would be scored and pitted. When I got them out they were actually OK!. I couldn't get the plastic "sleeve piston" out when I did the rebuild, but since the handbrake lever was moving nice and smoothly on both calipers I wasn't bothered about rebuilding that, so there were a couple of rubber seals I didn't replace.

Tegiwa do a Honda rebuild kit too. It only contains the main seals that you need, not the ones for the handbrake bits. If I had known how much I would have actually needed to rebuild I would probably have gone for the Tegiwa kit and kept my stock pistons.
By jonezy
gobbledygook wrote:lol, I'm not sure what MPG it did before fitting the longer 6th, so I have no way of telling if it makes a difference.
Fair enough. going look Into it just to get the noise down a bit. Though my exhaust is quiet, the amount of racket that comes through the firewall makes for an unpleasant 4 hour drive
Some updates from the last few months:

I went to Race Wars, an event organised by Straightliners at my local airstrip:

I managed to beat my personal best time even though conditions were not perfect and the track was damp most of the day. I had added a bit more gas to accommodate the extra weight of the roll hoop, so that's probably why I was faster.

I also had a track day at Donnington:

The car was superb all day, and I really liked the track. Im sure I could carry a lot more speed through the Craner curves and the old hairpin, but I'm on track to have fun and drive home in one piece, not to set a new lap record!
Last edited by gobbledygook on Mon May 29, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once the traction control is tuned, you don't notice it kick in unless you do something daft like try to do a burnout with it switched on!. On the drag strip I feel a lot more grip and no wheel spin, the car just takes off. On the track I don't really notice any difference, but my tyres are a lot less worn than before I fitted the TC.
On my last Donny track session, I managed to break my new charger. Thankfully I was on the last drop of fuel for the day, so I didn't loose any track time. Not sure why the new charger failed so early, but it was the same problem as last time with the impeller snapping off the shaft. I sent it back to TTS as it was still under warranty and about a week later they told me Rotrex were happy to replace it. I asked TTS if they could replace it with a C38-91 instead of a C30-94, and they agreed. Now all I had to do was make it fit! - winter project time.

New C38-91 charger side by side with my original dead C30-94

Time to CAD a new bracket

Test fit of a 2d cardboard version of the bracket

The cardboard seemed to fit, so I made a wooden prototype at the local Fab Lab

The wooden version showed me I needed an extra 5mm to clear the fuel rail, but that otherwise it should all fit after a bit of cutting and bending!
I uploaded my CAD model to the protolabs website, and 3 days later a new bracket arrived. It fitted perfectly.

A couple more days bending, cutting and trimming and it was in!

Now I just need to run it in for 60miles and I can see what sort of boost I can get from the bigger charger.
Last edited by gobbledygook on Mon May 29, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was a bit annoying when the first one went, but to be honest it was wear and tare as it had taken some abuse so i couldn't complain too much. When the second one went i was also pretty annoyed until i realised i could get a cheap upgrade if i played my cards right. Rotrex and TTS turned the replacement around very quickly so i was pretty happy, but yeah, i did have to pay the difference in price between the two chargers.
Cheers!

I'm hoping for a fairly relaxed 450bhp. I don't want to be running the charger at 100% as I'd like it to have an easy life and last for at least 5 years. I'm running a 110mm pulley at the moment, and as soon as we get a bit of dry weather I'll finish running it in and see what sort of boost I am making. I have a 105mm and a 100mm pulley on standby if I need to up the boost a bit.
By Dannygti
I'm not sure about the rest of your setup but make sure the intercooler is of high quality.. That's the key.

I think a true 450bhp will be tough to achieve on a 110mm pulley.. If you want the forum world 450bhp then it will be easily achievable.

I'm running my Rotrex c38-91 with a few decent supporting mods and I'm making 1.35bar and around 450bhp but there's still plenty plenty left in the setup, just can't get traction on the rollers to optimise the top end.

I think youll notice the extra torque the bigger charger gives you.
That's good to know. I'm currently running 400bhp with 1 bar of boost, so hope to get 450bhp with about 1.25 bar. I'm starting with the 110mm pully just to test things out and will drop down a size if i'm not getting enough boost. Charge temperatures were pretty good at 1 bar of boost so i'm hoping they won't increase too much at 1.25 bar.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]