The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By ShaunCTR
Just sat with a coffee and read the whole thread. Totally unbelieveable knowledge in regards to engines and what a fantastic thread. Keep the updates coming and as mentioned by others cant wait for the finished product :thumbup:
By gobbledygook
Thanks for the replies, and sorry about the delay on updating the thread. I have been messing with the car over the last few days so haven't had time to post pics.

While the engine was being run in it was time to sort out how to boost it. I bought a Rotrex top-mount charger kit from TTS, and when I finally got all the bits I was ready to try it out on my spare engine. This is the C30-94 charger, the medium sized one. I would have liked to have used the larger charger, but there was just not enough space, and the medium one took enough work to squeeze in as it was. Never mind, it was a compromise I was willing to take to keep the aircon.

The kit is designed to be fitted like this:

Its designed for a top mount intercooler and bonet scoop. IMO bonnet scoops on CTRs should be for track cars and the Max Power crowd only, so a few changes were needed.

I want to run it like this:

so with a bit of pipe work I can plumb it into a charge cooler located over the gearbox. The problem is that there was not enough clearance between charger and fuel rail, so a bit of tweaking was needed to get it to fit, which took a few weeks of precise drilling and filing.

I bought an AEM fuel rail, but this was way too big to fit, so I sold it on the forum. The stock rail is good enough for my power needs, but I removed the fuel rail damper, drilled it and tapped it to fit a AN ORB connector for a fuel return line.

Not as pretty as the AEM, but it will do the job. In the US they have gone up to 500whp with this setup, so it should be fine for my build.

Fuel rail damper removed, drilled and tapped to fit a -6AN ORB connector. With a 90degree hose end on the return line I had no problem plumbing this in.

Some more essentials for the fuel system:

Walbro high pressure in tank fuel pump.

Bosch 044 inline fuel pump. A common motorsport pump. I also bought some mounting brackets.

Aeromotive fuel filter.

Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and pressure guage.

Enough hose and fittings for a new fuel line and to plumb in the existing fuel line as a return line.

Fire extinguisher in case my fuel system mods go wrong!
Last edited by gobbledygook on Mon May 29, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By fallenkshatriya
This is seriously cool stuff...like a lot of people, i wish i knew enough to understand how much effort you've put into this build... :salut:
By leo1986
Quality Post Really Enjoyed Reading this thread remarkable and very detailed i'd love to have time and money to do such a project like.
By Fuller_EP3 R
WOW!!!!!!!

Just read the thread and..................ITS AMAZING!!

Well Done mate Keep up the good work :thumbup:
By raffopj
Easily the best thread i have ever read!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

brilliant read and makes me wish i knew more about engines lol
By gobbledygook
I bought a load of hose and connectors for routing the brake servo vacuum line, evap line, PCV line and the 'air assist' lines, plus a crank case vent filter and a separate filter for the 'air assist' valve. I then worked out that the 'air assist' valve supplies air to the injector tips when the engine is cold, but only on a stock manifold, so I just plumbed one end of the valve into the other and left it at that!

When my charge cooler arrived I got around to knocking up some brackets to hold it over the gearbox. Some more pics:

The charge cooler is made by PWR, and is extremely well engineered. From what people were saying on the net though, it looks like they are less efficient than the manufacturer claims, but I like the idea of being able to use them as a true countercurrent heat exchanger. To ensure I got the efficiency I needed I bought the biggest one I could fit in!. This also meant I would find it easier to run more power in future if I ever felt the need.

The pipe mounting the throttle body will be longer when I fit the real one, so the throttle body butterfly clears the charger. An air filter will mount directly to the other side of the throttle body. I have decided to swap the 135degree elbow at the back of the charge cooler for a 180degree elbow for a better fit. I have aluminium pipes made to join the ends of the charge cooler to the charger and inlet manifold, the bog roll tube in the pictures just wont take the pressure!.

I've also made up a new silicon water pipe as you can see the one in the picture is a bit squashed by the charge cooler.

I did a quick test fit on the car and it looked like there was just enough room to squeeze it all in:

Once I swapped the manifolds I found a bit more cutting and re-routeing of stuff was required, but I will post those pics later.
Last edited by gobbledygook on Mon May 29, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Stevo M81
Can wait to see the final figures the car is making when finished.
By Renze
What an AWESOME thread!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

i need to learn the in's and out's of a K20 it seems.

This build should be good for 400whp easily. :shock:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]