The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
Had a great day out on track at Oulton Park on 28th Feb:

Until 4th gear decided to shed all it's teeth:

This is what I found inside the gearbox:

So, after looking at the price of tougher helical gears, and the problems with a dog box in a road car, I decided to stick with a standard box. My 1st to 3rd gears have had a lot of abuse over the years so are probably not far from going the same way as 4th did, so I decided to buy a second hand box to replace it. I am getting Grinspeed to rebuild the new box with carbon lined synchros and a few other goodies so i hope it will last a few years.
Last edited by gobbledygook on Mon May 29, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RsAMD
4th is the thinnest of the lower gears, thats why it mostly goes before others. but sure its tq and sticky tires and bumps on the track that can kill the transmission. i think on the road with street tires it would hold longer.
Ouch... all those sheared off bits of cog filings aren't a pretty sight.

Looked like a whole bunch of fun was being had in the vid before it though :smile:

Chin up n all that though eh :wink:
The gearbox wasn't bad luck; its now a consumable item on my car due to the power and abuse it gets, so I expect it to go every few years. I think the charger was bad luck though, as I would have expected it to last longer.

I dropped off a 2nd hand gearbox at Grinspeed this week for reconditioning. I bought it from a breakers in Scotland, but I just found out today that it came off a car that a friend of mine who lives 200metres away from me sold to him! At least I know it was a good one when the car was broken.
Even with that power and abuse, surely the gearboxes are more durable than just hope seeing a few years out of them ? that's crap in all honesty!!

Looking at you're driving in the main 14 min video, seems a good smooth competent style.

But i guess it depends how much track time you put in aswell though.
By kipps
gobbledygook wrote: I bought it from a breakers in Scotland, but I just found out today that it came off a car that a friend of mine who lives 200metres away from me sold to him! At least I know it was a good one when the car was broken.

Small world eh :lol: :lol:
I got the gearbox back from Grinspeed a few weeks ago. I asked Stevie to fit an Mfactory rebuild kit that basically replaces all bearings and seals, and replaces the synchros with carbon lined ones. While the box was open I also got Stevie to fit a longer 6th gear to make motorways a bit quieter.

It took a few hours to fit the box to the car, and a few hours more to re-locate my charge cooler pipework as I couldn't get everything to sit back where it should be. After about 50 miles all the 'notchyness' has gone and the gearbox is now smooth as silk.

I took the car out on Croft circuit last week and it was faultless! The gearbox felt so good that it wasn't till the end of the day that I even thought about the fact that it's the first time that it had been out on track. It just worked perfectly every time.

Here's a video of one of the sessions:

Last edited by gobbledygook on Mon May 29, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a rather embarrassing ride home on an AA truck the other day after my exhaust fell off. The flare on the pipe connecting to the manifold had been getting smaller and smaller over the last 8 years and finally became small enough to slip through the clamp. I now have a new flare welded on:

I have also been tackling the tyre wear I was getting due to the tyres rubbing inside the wheel arches. I don't want to run any less camber, so wheel spacers were my only option if I wanted to keep the stock wheels.

I bought hub centric spacers with longer wheel studs. The trouble is Honda expect you to pull the hub off to fit new studs, which would probably require new bearings and a lot of bother. However, 5 mins with my multi-tool and I had enough clearance:

New studs and wheel spacer fitted:

I'm now stripping down the rear brake callipers. They haven't been touched since Honda sold them to me 11 years ago, so it's time for a rebuild. They were braking a little unevenly when I had the car MOTd, and I have a bit of instability under high speed braking, which could be due to uneven rear brakes. I'll find out if it's improved on my next track day.
Last edited by gobbledygook on Mon May 29, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam Type-R wrote:Nice to see you still have this.. bow are youdoing with your track driving, last time I read you were looking to improve in areas?
I'm still working on my braking technique, and I could probably carry a few mph more around the faster corners. I'm not too concerned about getting the fastest lap, as long as I am having fun and don't get overtaken by any other 'road' cars.

1812_s wrote:Nice to see progress still being had. Where the next trackday going to be ? :wink:
I'm either going to do Donnington or Rockingham next, and hopefully both before the end of the year.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]