The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By DGPieterjan
Read through the whole build, got to say love what you've done to this car! Just bought an ep3 myself and hope to do my build as good as you did 8-) Keep us updated!
By Lewisgame
DGPieterjan wrote:Read through the whole build, got to say love what you've done to this car! Just bought an ep3 myself and hope to do my build as good as you did 8-) Keep us updated!
Cheers!

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
I'm back from the Nordschleife. All in one piece both myself and the car. Full write up will come soon. Also one new video up on my YouTube ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Lewisgame
I'm back from the Nordschleife. All in one piece both myself and the car. Full write up will come soon. Also one new video up on my YouTube ;)

By DGPieterjan
Just watched your video, nice driving man! Probably would have been a pretty crazy lap time if you didn't get stuck in traffic those few times. Keep it up dude!
By Lewisgame
Right Nürburging trip #4!
This trip was a weekend of some Touristenfahrten and a track day on the Tuesday with Destination Nürburging.
Left Friday morning for the eurotunnel ended up in Germany by around 4ish. I'd seen the guys from Track Obsession (Instagram car page) were out there. I sent a message over to him to see about meeting up as I was on my own this trip. Sure enough I was spotted that afternoon.
I went out for one lap, conditions were dry but it was starting to drizzle. I had acquired a passenger as well for the lap. I took it steady..ish for most of it. Near the end the track was damp and I almost crashed the car overtaking another on a corner. The car was a good 45° facing the wrong way. A little bit of skill and probably more luck saved me. I didn't have the camera on which was annoying.
Saturday the weather was good, chilly but dry and sunny. I was up early to get out before the traffic, but I was still getting held up and I was consistently getting around 8:30 lap times.
Sunday the weather was even better. But it was far busier and some lengthy track closures. It was a good time to go for a walk and headed to the karussell. Track opened, watch some cars fly round and started to head back. On my walk back I saw some bikers on track who was with these guys I met. Right in front of me by Brünnchen, one fell off and consequently took out the other biker. It was a serious crash which involved lots of the emergency services including an air ambulance. I sat in my car watching the F1 waiting for the track to reopen.
Finally the track opened, I had 2 laps left paid for and headed over to the entrance. The queue was massive and there was going to be lots of traffic. I wasn't aiming for any fast times but sometimes driving in traffic can be fun. I had a good run with a Z4, quite known in the area and is known as Dutch Ring Racing on YouTube. Annoying, my GoPro battery died and I didn't film the lap.
Monday the weather was grim and it was very quiet on track. I didn't do any laps as I didn't want to risk it for my track day tomorrow. Briefing for the track day was that afternoon where I got all my stickers and transponder for the track day. Weather forecast wasn't looking great for the Tuesday either.
So Tuesday morning I'm up early. Eager to look out the window and it's dry!! Gathered everything and headed down to the track. There was some awesome machinery including a McLaren LM P1 worth around £3million! Between 8-9 was sighting laps so just drive around at a reasonable pace. After 9 it was balls out... but it started to rain. I got some really good laps in with the cold and damp weather I couldn't push as hard as I wanted to. Soon enough the rain got worse and it was full wet. Few laps done in the wet and it wasn't as scary as I thought. It was good to learn the wet lines and learn more about car control especially with low grip levels. I finished at 4 completing around 14 laps on Tuesday. I had planned to stay that evening but decided to make my way home that afternoon. I was back home by half 11 that night.
Overall it was another success. The car was totally faultless. Only issues I had was some brake fluid escaped out of the reservoir due to the heat and a knackered cap seal. The front wheel centre caps have gone again due to the heat melting the plastic caps. Clutch pedal biting point has risen slightly. I'm going to get the box back out for a shorter final drive and upgrade the LSD. I'll fit a new clutch and probably a flywheel as well.
The track day included free photography so I got some awesome photos from the day. They were obviously pretty good as they show some element of speed which can be lost in photos. Especially considering I wasn't going that fast in the wet.
Video time. Few more to come.
Best BTG Touristenfahrten lap. Another 8:25 but it was on course to be a decent low 8 min if it wasn't for the bad traffic right at the end.

Wet lap on the track day. Which looks terribly slow in comparison.

Added in 5 minutes 6 seconds:
Pictures from DN17
By LG87
Looked and sounded amazing Lewis, kept an eye on your Instagram stories religiously! It actually got me so excited I've booked my first time there in July with a mate (who has already been this year) off the back of your updates haha! about time I grew a pair and went. Car looked good out there considering the conditions, watched your Youtube videos and saw it was quite wet/damp, that would terrify me in all honesty haha. One thing I love about your car is the sound, sounds absolutely perfect!

All the best,

L
By tucker87
Lewisgame wrote:Rocker cover on. New gasket as well. Thought about doing valve clearances but I left my feeler gauges at work. Can't imagine they'll be out anyway. Only done them last summer.
Wheel nuts turned up. Muteki steel nuts in blue.
Weather has turned for the worse now so won't be fitting today. Bought some Autoglym wheel protector to stick on the wheels to hopefully keep the wheels looking good.
Are the muteki wheel nuts a straight fit, I know with other aftermarket nuts you need adapters? Just been through this thread from start to finish and your car is amazing, the amount of time and effort (& money!) gone into it is incredible. Props for also doing the majority yourself.
By Lewisgame
tucker87 wrote: Are the muteki wheel nuts a straight fit, I know with other aftermarket nuts you need adapters? Just been through this thread from start to finish and your car is amazing, the amount of time and effort (& money!) gone into it is incredible. Props for also doing the majority yourself.
They're 45° taper fitment so they fit majority of aftermarket wheels. You'd need adaptors for standard wheels.
Thanks for the comments. Being a technician has its perks of knowing what to do, having all the tools and access to my work. Only couldn't do the mapping as I don't have my own rolling road or enough money to hire one out and probably take double the time someone who does it every day.

Added in 4 minutes 31 seconds:
LG87 wrote:Looked and sounded amazing Lewis, kept an eye on your Instagram stories religiously! It actually got me so excited I've booked my first time there in July with a mate (who has already been this year) off the back of your updates haha! about time I grew a pair and went. Car looked good out there considering the conditions, watched your Youtube videos and saw it was quite wet/damp, that would terrify me in all honesty haha. One thing I love about your car is the sound, sounds absolutely perfect!

All the best,

L
Cheers Luke. I'm more than happy with how it sounds although it's nothing I've chased for.
You'll love it out there. I'm very tempted to go out again this year late August for another track day. But I really need to pull the gearbox out and stick a shorter final drive in and I'm not sure the clutch will survive another trip as it feels a little worn.
Yea if it's wet I'd avoid going out. Or if you do venture out go very steady. Stay off the racing line in the corners when it's wet and keep to the outside as there's generally more grip.

By Lewisgame
LG87 wrote:Looked and sounded amazing Lewis, kept an eye on your Instagram stories religiously! It actually got me so excited I've booked my first time there in July with a mate (who has already been this year) off the back of your updates haha! about time I grew a pair and went. Car looked good out there considering the conditions, watched your Youtube videos and saw it was quite wet/damp, that would terrify me in all honesty haha. One thing I love about your car is the sound, sounds absolutely perfect!

All the best,

L
Cheers Luke. I'm more than happy with how it sounds although it's nothing I've chased for.
You'll love it out there. I'm very tempted to go out again this year late August for another track day. But I really need to pull the gearbox out and stick a shorter final drive in and I'm not sure the clutch will survive another trip as it feels a little worn.
Yea if it's wet I'd avoid going out. Or if you do venture out go very steady. Stay off the racing line in the corners when it's wet and keep to the outside as there's generally more grip.

By marky68
I've recently removed the rack raiser bracket to try eliminate some bump steer and this has worked a treat. For those who run a particular brand of coilover, you don't need this bracket as the steering arm location on the coilover compensates for the angle. If anyone wants an explanation on this I'll be more than happy to elaborate.
Can you elaborate please Lewis, I also have GT1's fitted with rack raiser and have terrible bump steer, although mine look fairly level?

By Lewisgame
marky68 wrote:
I've recently removed the rack raiser bracket to try eliminate some bump steer and this has worked a treat. For those who run a particular brand of coilover, you don't need this bracket as the steering arm location on the coilover compensates for the angle. If anyone wants an explanation on this I'll be more than happy to elaborate.
Can you elaborate please Lewis, I also have GT1's fitted with rack raiser and have terrible bump steer, although mine look fairly level?

This is where people have been mis informed. You don't want the steering arms to be level. You need them at an angle.

By marky68
Lewisgame wrote:
marky68 wrote:

This is where people have been mis informed. You don't want the steering arms to be level. You need them at an angle.

Surely they would end up pointing up from the centre to the coilovers then. I.e. the wrong way?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
By Lewisgame
marky68 wrote: Surely they would end up pointing up from the centre to the coilovers then. I.e. the wrong way?
That's how you need them. From the centre, pointing upwards towards the coilovers.
It's a bit difficult to explain why without going massively in depth about suspension geometry and movement. But because tie rod arm is longer than the lower arm, it needs to be on an angle.
I've seen some set ups where they use the rack raiser upside down with inverted rod ends.
By Lewisgame
Got a new alignment machine at work. Be rude not to check. The old machine wasn't amazing and chances are it's been knocked out slightly from smashing it over the Nordschleife kerbs.
Plenty camber
By Lewisgame
I knew the time was coming. Debating if to use the same discs or go for something more fancy. Just don't want to spend big money only for the same to happen.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]