The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Its Whats Inside That Counts...
By Rambo
Right I've done some research and getting mixed reviews so would like to lay this to bed.

Ive just fitted harness's and harness bar to my car in the method of bolting them to eye bolts on the rear seat fixing point. Like so:

From what I've read that's the safest I believe it to be.

BUT

Research has lead me to believe that the harness is SUPPOSED to be mounted to the bar, not used just to bring the harness strap to you shoulder height like I've set mine up.

Now my problem is that my harness's seem to short! the "Thicker" logo part that is meant to support your front and collar bone doesn't reach through the seat hole entirely.

For example;

This is how they should sit:

This is where they are sitting:

And this is the straps behind!

Now the obvious thing most would say is that the straps are to short, buy new harness's!!! Firstly I'm seeing what alternative's I have or if I'm missing something very simple. Also after some more info.

Now the reason i have the harness bar is because I'm not putting a cage in until next year as my missus uses the car to go to and from work at the moment. So is there a way of getting round my problem without having to find another set of harness's.

I thought about crossing them but I havent as i can only see that making them shorter.
By Lewisgame
It looks to me you can extend the harness length by pushing the black loop part (part near the harness bar) further towards the eye bolts in the rear.
The harness bar you've got isn't strong enough to mount the harness on. It's only roll cages with harness bars built in that you can mount the harnesses on.
By NPyke
Is that passenger seat advisable to run with a harness? Can imagine that riding up and rubbing on your neck upon impact..
By Rambo
Lewisgame wrote:It looks to me you can extend the harness length by pushing the black loop part (part near the harness bar) further towards the eye bolts in the rear.
The harness bar you've got isn't strong enough to mount the harness on. It's only roll cages with harness bars built in that you can mount the harnesses on.
Some one told me that an hour ago, i knew it was simple!

I didn't think as much but it seems abit overkill for what its actually used for!
By Rambo
NPyke wrote:Is that passenger seat advisable to run with a harness? Can imagine that riding up and rubbing on your neck upon impact..
Only be used on track to hold you in the seat. Il have two fixed buckets by then hopefully if i find some i like. Other than that stops them getting dirty in the garage at the moment
By R'ash
This is how I had mine before fitting a cage.

The harness just passes over the bar and fixed to eye bolts in the existing belt buckle holes like you have done. This is what I believed was right. I crossed them only because they folded over slightly where the thin guides are. As lewis said the bar isn't strong enough to rely on its there just to achieve the correct angle, where as the cage I've fitted the harness is just secured to the bar as it's much stronger. They're both called harness bars so that might be where the confusion is from??
By Rambo
R'ash wrote:This is how I had mine before fitting a cage.

The harness just passes over the bar and fixed to eye bolts in the existing belt buckle holes like you have done. This is what I believed was right. I crossed them only because they folded over slightly where the thin guides are. As lewis said the bar isn't strong enough to rely on its there just to achieve the correct angle, where as the cage I've fitted the harness is just secured to the bar as it's much stronger. They're both called harness bars so that might be where the confusion is from??
That's how iv'e got mine except i don't have them crossed.

Thanks for the answers guys, i thought as much but had a gremlin in the back of my head.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]