The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Its Whats Inside That Counts...
By Most_wanted
Hey guys been a bit of a rocky road this year for keeping the ep3 but now things are sorted I want to push on with its mods before it go's off the road and used only for track days.

I've been looking at cages and I'm unsure whether to go full weld in or bolt in, it's pretty much the only step I didn't take in my dc5 so I really want to fit one this time as I don't want to risk my safety.

Ideally it will be nice to have an approved cage just in case I want to enter any races. I want to keep the weight down as much as possible so I also wondered what my material options are.

Any help is much appreciated :-)
By G.
A decent cage worth it's salt will ad to the weight. I think mine which was a good bolt in has added. Around 20kg. Give or take. Probably give. You can see it in my build thread. It has removable door bars and integral harness bars. The company a based in Frome in Somerset. They are called Caged UK or the UK roll cage company. They are made custom to your needs and they can go as simple or complex as you like. They probably still have the specs for mine in their system so would be simple to do another. Oh and it's proper heavy duty steel. They do do cages for various race series too so know their stuff.
Many thanks for that input mate I'm going to have a look through your thread now.

Have spotted a few different companies selling them, some bolt in and some weld in.

I know a cage is mainly for safety reasons but have you noticed much difference is strength overall. An integral harness bar is great as it's about the one thing I don't have to buy. I've sent Rob @ Area Motorsport a message as he's always sorted me out plus he's local which helps. Without being stupidly ambitious I would like a full weld in cage, maybe pointless if I'm never going to race but hey oh we all dream lol
By G.
Well, really if you run a cage You'd want buckets and a harness. Preferably a helmet for race use. I just feel I need to mention that. The thought of bare head to cross bar contact does not bear thinking about. But I'm sure you know that ;)

Mine has welded hard points and is bolted to that. The car is overall much stiffer. It allows the chassis to work more efficiently. It does make the car a bit more harsh. But less than I thought.
Lol I know where your coming from, I'm just looking into seats and if I'm feeling plush I'd like to fit one of the wrap around type like the cobra/corbeau revenge or revolution.

I've had a good look through your thread (great read by the way) and it's a great looking cage. Fixes similar to the safety devices one then, weld in the platforms and then bolt to those.

My dc5 was quite harsh after the mountain of scaffold and braces we put in, very positive feel under harsh cornering but was nasty on our roads. Have been looking all day and think I'll be going for a full weld in cage with the A & B pillars welded to it. Once the car go's away for that work it will be off the road after that for good.

Just looking for the right place to supply or fit now. I've spotted this in T45 steel and think I'll just bite the bullet http://www.customcages.co.uk/Rollcage/L ... 2004%20Int
Awesome many thanks for posting up, that is quite high and sure it's pain at times. Great bit of protection. All being said it's definitely what I'm looking at, proper tempted by the one in the for sale section but I won't be able to race if I do decide to go down that route
By R'ash
The one I have is a safety devices cage off Rob, although mine is a bolt in I'm sure they can supply weld in also if that's what you are after. The door bars in mine are abit of a pain but don't think they're quite as high as that above.
Very good cages in my opinion
By R'ash
I can't remember to be honest but he's going to donnington next week so I can ask as I wouldn't mind knowing too. You can remove the door bars also on these in 2min if you wanted to
Hey guys have found this kit on eBay, from what I can make out its buddyclubuk that are fitting them but I'm just surmising as they are located in Leyland and are responsible for a lot of the cars in the civic cup.

What do you think ? Full weld in like

And with out being a bumder was going to put these graphics on, gotta be worth some go faster bhp lol
By R'ash
SeanEP3 wrote:Ash, does your cage keep all the dash etc in place?

Mark, any links to a build on your DC2?
Yes it fits around the dash and doorcards, only interior bits you'd need to remove or trim down in the front is around the sill area so the 4 base plates can be welded in then obviously in the back it fits to the inner arch so the boot plastics around there [smilie=karls_thumb.gif] You planning on one Sean?

By SeanEP3
im in two minds at the moment whether to sell my car, or get a second one, and go mad one this one. But yeah im very tempted with a cage, and just seen the pics you have put in members rides section. swaying me heavily! haha
By R'ash
SeanEP3 wrote:im in two minds at the moment whether to sell my car, or get a second one, and go mad one this one. But yeah im very tempted with a cage, and just seen the pics you have put in members rides section. swaying me heavily! haha
haha cheers, go mad with it! My other rides a kia :lol:
By baddohc
swm. Shaun woods Motorsport.
He custom builds them to spec. Highly rated for his cages. Lots of guys have had cages done by him.
He does a lot of the Vtec challenge cars.
Also in leyland near Preston.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]