The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Its Whats Inside That Counts...
By mc36155
Hello all

As you all know the shifter in the ep3 can be sloppy with many people complaining about the play in the shifter when it is in gear. This is down to the shifter ball wearing in the cup and the shaft of the shifter splitting away from the ball.

A company called mtec industries has solved this problem for the dc5 shifter and I have emailed him in the past as have many others to see if he can do the same for the ep3, well now I have just received a email from him

"Hi Mike,

I'm developing a kit for the Ep3 stock shifter and was wondering how many interested people we would have? I believe I have the solution to the play in it but do not want to invest into making the kit without any interest in it. Please let me know."

So to help answer his question can you just put your names down in a list so I can give him some idea on this??

Note: this list is not a commitment to buy as such, not yet anyway
Last edited by mc36155 on Sun May 19, 2013 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Dixy1987
mc36155 wrote:Hello all

As you all know the shifter in the ep3 is crap
Stopped reading right there. One of the things that certainly isn't crap about the EP3 is anything to do with the gearbox.
By SuperFLY
Dixy1987 wrote:

Stopped reading right there. One of the things that certainly isn't crap about the EP3 is anything to do with the gearbox.
just what i was thinking
By mjhamilton
No complaints or problems here.. Stock ep3 shifter is great
By mc36155
Dixy1987 wrote:

the gear box is fine, it's the shift box or whatever you choose to call it. Must make all those aluminium bushes for a reason
By Dixy1987
mc36155 wrote:
Dixy1987 wrote:

the gear box is fine, it's the shift box or whatever you choose to call it. Must make all those aluminium bushes for a reason
I include the shift box in my above comment. There is no part of changing gear in an EP3 that is crap.

Yeah they make the bushes to give a different feeling to the gear change and to some people this improves the gear change, but it's definitely not crap in standard form.
By mc36155
Fair comment, I've removed the crap statement if it helps. However there are complaints about the play in the gear stick when in gear which is what this would hopefully fix
By pulpmelon_r
I know Mtec make a stiffer spring for the side to side movement of the gear selector, with the 400g skunk2 knob I feel a bit more lateral control would be good.

But unless you have worn or broken parts how could aftermarket components improve the shifting experience?
By mc36155
Yeah I have the stiffer race springs. Thing is if you have play in the shifter because of worn parts then it won't fix this, will probably just accelerate the wear. Yes you could just buy a new shifter from Honda but then this will wear out too. If this kit is similar to the dc5 one then it will replace the plastic shifter ball with an aluminium one, will be a good effort to wear that out. I do not know what it will consist of, I have asked and will let u know when I do.
By Manbond
I had this problem recently,i bought a second hand one dismantled it found out where all the sloppyness was from and 'shimmed' it back up! Me being an engineer had a good noisy at it,and sorted a solution,ok its not 100% slop free as the shifter just wouldnt work if they wasnt enought tolerance in the parts!

I found out some of sloppynees was caused by parts that have quite an open tolerance or free fitting causing it to feel slack, the other problem being the metal shafts wearing on the nylon parts! Also underneath the shifter base are some moulded spring loaded plastic pads which also surport the main shifter ball these also had lost there'tension' or 'spring'! My fix was just basicly try and take most of slack out of any loose moving parts!

I took some picks so will upload them when i get chance!

Mb
By al_typeR
I would be interested in this. The play in mine seems to be starting to get worse but then its not bad for 115k miles.
By billster
I would also be interested depending on the price. Buddyclub short shift kit looks good. But a bit pricey for me, and I already have the Tegiwa short shifter anyway..
By Taylor_Type R
al_typeR wrote:I would be interested in this. The play in mine seems to be starting to get worse but then its not bad for 115k miles.
Me too
By MTECIndustries
Hi All! This is Mike from MTEC. Just wanted to give a little insight on the shifter upgrade kit that I'm planning to manufacture for the EP3. My plan will be a serviceable kit that removes most of the play on the side to side motion of the shifter. My original dc5 shifter had about 1 inch in play. Now with my kit it is about 1/4 of an inch. It's been in my car for about 2 years now and been working great. I know that many of you are skeptical or don't see a need but giving you the best shifting experience is how I got started in the business. If I can just get about 5-10 people interested then I will definitely be interested in maybe making a limited run. Please chime in if you are interested and I will pm anyone the price of the kit once I dial everything in. Thanks!

Mike
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]