The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Its Whats Inside That Counts...
By Manbond
Are the conponets that you have machined goin to suit all shifters depending on how wore it is?

I stripped one down a few months ago,shimmed the shaft that the nylon ball sat on and glued in to position which virtully elimeinated 'play' i also shimmed the shaft which moves freely up and down on the other balljoint which again took alot if the play out! Only play i cudnt get ridd of was the main balljoint what sits in its 'cup' the four 'pads' just dont seam to have enough'tension' to hold the ball tight and free enough to be 'slop' free! Am still using it but still have quite a lot if 'play' in it!
By MTECIndustries
Manbond wrote:Are the conponets that you have machined goin to suit all shifters depending on how wore it is?

I stripped one down a few months ago,shimmed the shaft that the nylon ball sat on and glued in to position which virtully elimeinated 'play' i also shimmed the shaft which moves freely up and down on the other balljoint which again took alot if the play out! Only play i cudnt get ridd of was the main balljoint what sits in its 'cup' the four 'pads' just dont seam to have enough'tension' to hold the ball tight and free enough to be 'slop' free! Am still using it but still have quite a lot if 'play' in it!

The ball I've made is slightly larger then OEM and doesn't rely on the four pads to keep it suspended. I've already accounted for it. Also mine is made of CNC aluminum and anodized. It replaces the stock plastic ball the splits alot. I'm going to give a deadline till the end of this month. If we can get 20 people interested then I'm all for getting this project done.
By MTECIndustries
billster wrote:Have you tried posting on any other civic forums?

Presumably this would work on EP2?
I have not. A member on this board asked me to design something and I have. So far there is no response in getting enough interest so I will call this project dead until I get enough buyers.

If it is like a EP3 shifter style then it would work.
By mc36155
I have posted this on other forums but not much interest elsewhere either tbh unless they have contacted mike directly
By MTECIndustries
Hi all!

I have some good new. Someone else has spoken to me about making this shift kit for the ep3 and so far they have about 12 people interested which would mean I need about 8 more to get this going. Please let me know if anyone else is interested. Thanks!
By MTECIndustries
billster wrote:I am still interested. Providing it is better or cheaper than the Buddyclub shift kit.

We are currently in production with a few spots left if you want to jump on board!
By billster
MTECIndustries wrote:
billster wrote:I am still interested. Providing it is better or cheaper than the Buddyclub shift kit.

We are currently in production with a few spots left if you want to jump on board!
Damn!! I fitted a Buddyclub short shifter a couple of weeks ago now, so I am afraid I am out.

Thanks anyway though!
By Lewis.
I would be interested in this.

I don't think the others who have dismissed this realise that the stock ball is plastic and prone to wear, thus introducing movement on higher mileage cars (like mine). Perhaps it's not a problem on low mileage vehicles.

The photo's aren't working on the previous page, but I assume it's similar to a B&M shifter in that you use an alloy ball rather than a plastic one? I haven't had a close look as the internal mechanism on mine yet, but whipping the cover off I did notice a lot of lateral movement and a loose feel to the stick which appears to be a result of the plastic ball and shaft it sits on as noted above by Manbond.

Can you post up some more photo's please?

Also with regard to cost, do you have a figure in mind?

Stock replacement is £130 thereabouts + P&P. The buddyclub one is £170 roughly. Don't know how much better this is than stock, but it doesn't look amazing to me. I am not interested in any short shift nonsense, no point unless you are using proper ratios, just an improved feel to the OEM change as it is very nice, mine is just let down by the play which I guess is more as a result of age than anything. My plan was to replace it with an OEM mech, but if something better is available then i'd go with that.

Good luck getting it off the ground, it's always difficult dealing with 'car folk'. I have similar experience trying to assist my pal develop carbon fibre parts for modified cars. People don't see the time and R&D that goes into it, all they see is the product and price, and don't seem to appreciate the fact that it takes a lot of time and money to develop new products!

I am interested though and keen to see the result :) Sorry for the long post!
By MTECIndustries
Hi Lewis. I removed the pictures. The new setup will feel like how it should of came from the factory. It will be very tight in the beginning and break in a little. Sorry but no other pictures will be up until the project is done.
Lewis. wrote:I would be interested in this.

I don't think the others who have dismissed this realise that the stock ball is plastic and prone to wear, thus introducing movement on higher mileage cars (like mine). Perhaps it's not a problem on low mileage vehicles.

The photo's aren't working on the previous page, but I assume it's similar to a B&M shifter in that you use an alloy ball rather than a plastic one? I haven't had a close look as the internal mechanism on mine yet, but whipping the cover off I did notice a lot of lateral movement and a loose feel to the stick which appears to be a result of the plastic ball and shaft it sits on as noted above by Manbond.

Stock replacement is £130 thereabouts + P&P. The buddyclub one is £170 roughly. Don't know how much better this is than stock, but it doesn't look amazing to me. I am not interested in any short shift nonsense, no point unless you are using proper ratios, just an improved feel to the OEM change as it is very nice, mine is just let down by the play which I guess is more as a result of age than anything. My plan was to replace it with an OEM mech, but if something better is available then i'd go with that.

Good luck getting it off the ground, it's always difficult dealing with 'car folk'. I have similar experience trying to assist my pal develop carbon fibre parts for modified cars. People don't see the time and R&D that goes into it, all they see is the product and price, and don't seem to appreciate the fact that it takes a lot of time and money to develop new products!

By Lewis.
MTECIndustries wrote:Hi Lewis. I removed the pictures. The new setup will feel like how it should of came from the factory. It will be very tight in the beginning and break in a little. Sorry but no other pictures will be up until the project is done.
Lewis. wrote:I would be interested in this.

Hi pal

Ok will send an email. :)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]