The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Looking Good...
By shane147
I am looking into some front light upgrades. Was looking into HID xenons to find out that they are illegal and can points and a fine? Is this true. So i was looking into alternatives as I don’t fancy a fine. I heard these bluevision bulb upgrades give a similar effect to xenons, does anyone have them fitted and what do you think? Is there any other alternatives out there?
By Cracksta
I don't think there is any bulb that will look like HIDs except for ones which are designed to make the light white but then you get low light output.

I'm running Osram nightbreaker unlimited with no problems (I've adjusted back to the OEM color lol).
By Lewisgame
Aftermarket HID kits aren't illegal.
Confusion came about when the MOT rules changed and stated that HID lights with FACTORY fitted headlight washer and self levelling systems must work. Obviously the EP3 doesn't have washers or self levelling so doesn't apply.
But in Ireland, they messed up the wording (drunk on Guinness) and the rules were HID lights MUST have working headlight washers and self levelling. Bit of a fook up as some cars with HID lights factory fitted didn't have headlight washers or self levelling.
By howie1987
I got pulled and got £30 fine and told if i was seen with them again after 30days i would be getting pulled again.

The police gave me a leaflet basically saying you need automatic leveling lamps and washers.

Ive had bluevision ones they do look good but arent as bright as the osram unlimited nightbreakers. They give a good bright white light.
By Cracksta
Bottom line is aftermarket HID are illegal and when installed incorrectly can blind oncoming traffic.

You tend to get away with it with the facelift EP3 as they have projection lamps and looks OEM until you look under the bonnet.

MOT don't really bother checking but Police can pull you for it. Get the white looking ones or close to OEM color, people which blue ones will get pulled easier.
By ShaunCTR
Cracksta wrote:Bottom line is aftermarket HID are illegal and when installed incorrectly can blind oncoming traffic.

You tend to get away with it with the facelift EP3 as they have projection lamps and looks OEM until you look under the bonnet.

MOT don't really bother checking but Police can pull you for it. Get the white looking ones or close to OEM color, people which blue ones will get pulled easier.
This!

I've had HID's on my facelift for at least 6 years and never been pulled or failed an MOT. I believe it's because I have the projector headlight giving a nice straight beam pattern.
By Lewisgame
mtailor wrote:Everyone has an opinion on HIDs and MOTs.

Here is mine: if the car had auto levelling and washers, they must be operational.

If they don't, then it's not a fail.

That's straight from a direct MOT tester from the Ministry!
This exactly.
A lot of the V.A.G stuff have auto level and headlamp washers but standard bulbs. Regardless of the type of bulb. If any of these factory fitted systems doesn't work, it's a fail.
By dandemoraliser
regardless of being legal or not, the headlight unit was never designed to cope with the increases in temperature and i've heard of many tales where the usage of hid in standard unit leads to browning and ultimately blowing of bulbs/fuses etc. due to this.
By Cracksta
I think the discussion will never end.

I read up that the headlight themselves needs to be approved for HID use (which none of them are unless it came like that from factory). Also MOTs will only fail you if the light color is stupid (i.e. blue, purple, anything other than yellow/white/white with hint of blue).

Also google says the HID bulbs and headlights needs to be official E marked.

IF aftermarket HID were NOT illegal then the police who hand out fines for these are wrongly accusing the law abiding citizens? :scratch:

If you do go for HIDs, ensure the light color is white (something along the lines of 35w use 4300k or 5k, 55w use 6k).

If you have projection headlights and use a sensible color temp, I doubt you will get pulled unless the police are actively checking (I had HID for approx. 2-3 with no problem, only changed back because the ballast died and all the ebay kits I had have issues).
By M!chael
Aye, anyway.. Get the Philips diamond vision bulbs. Ive had factory fitted Xenon's and aftermarket HID's in the past. These are simply the closest you will find. Behind the projector headlights they look like OEM Xenon's. Beware of low light output though! (Thats where your main beam comes into play)
By shane147
From people views on here which would you is the brighter and better bulb between the Osram nightbreaker unlimited and the philips bluevision?
By shane147
seen a few reviews on amazon (hmmmm) and a lot of people are saying the osrams are good, as in a white light than halogen and brighter BUT they only last a few months…. For 11 quid a may as well try a pair
By sa08
I've had the Philips Blue Vision, Osram Nightbreakers and Ring Xenon Ultima and out of the three, the Ring Xenon Ultima were the 'closest' to HID in light.

What I found was that generally with Halogen bulbs, the closer to HID light they get, the shorter their lifespan seems to be.
By sa08
shane147 wrote:Ok mate cheers. I take it all these brands have matching sidelights?
I know the blue vision come with sidelights but can't remember with the nightbreakers or the xenon ultima as I had led side light bulbs so didn't need them.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]