The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Looking Good...
By ihate_speedbumps
Finally had a weekend free to fit my Aerocatches, here is a write up to help anyone else who is thinking of fitting some

I decided to fit aerocatches rather than conventional pins as they look a lot smoother and you dont have to worry about getting any trouble from the police with having normal pins as its a bit of a grey area, also i go over the severn bridge quite a bit and last time i went over it was blowing a gale, my carbon bonnet was moving a good 2cm at the corners!!!! this puts a lot of stress on the standard latch, and to be on the safe side i decided to fit locking aerocatches!!!

You need lots of tools, i used some Diamond tipped rotary cutter's from amazon, well cheap and cut carbon fibre really well, also i got a rotary sanding stone to smooth off when cutting away to the marked line! i dont have a dremel i just used a power drill! does the same job

1) drill 2 holes in your scuttle panel for the pins and bolt them both in place

2) now cut the inner plastic of your carbon bonnet away using a rotary tool on both sides, to allow you to fit the aerocatch and bolt it in place easily

3) then line up the bonnet with the pins, use tippex on the top of the pins to see where underneath to cut, before you do cut put either masking tape or duck tape on the top to help prevent splintering the carbon fibre

4) i started off with a really small drill bit then worked up to a big one, then from on top used the rotary cutter to cut away the marked out area, and the rotary sanding tool to cut closer to the line, offering up the aerocatch to the hole many many times!!! be very carefull not to cut too much!

5) now its just a case of taking a small drill bit and drilling up from underneath then use a bigger drill bit to match the size of the bolts, put all the bolts in and washers and do them all up

6) now the moment of truth does it line up, neither of mine did, on the first i took the pin out drilled a hole next to it and joined the hole up so i could ajust it to where the aerocatch went, on the other i gave it a few light taps with a hammer and it shuts well, you also have to ajust the length of the pins, so it shuts well, play about with it and eventually it will shut well

7) now just hoover the dust off and wash your car and it should look like this!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]