The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Mind Over Matter...
By jostrom
jl_ep3 wrote:Step 1. Buy Kpro (is there anything to look out for when buying second hand?)
Just make sure you buy the correct one depending on your needs. If you're not going to tune it yourself or will use an aftermarket wideband then you can go with a euro-K-Pro (PRA). If you want to tune it yourself, don't want to use an aftermarket wideband and/or want to avoid some problems with analog wideband input, the get a JDM/US-K-Pro (PRB/PRC/PRD). JDM/US-K-Pros have some other benefits, but most people don't need them.
jl_ep3 wrote:Step 2. Have keys coded by dealer???
Only a dealer can code the new ECU to the immobilizer. Keys are not coded. The new ECU needs to be installed first before it can be coded, have a look on the sticky thread about this. Remember, you don't have to get it recoded, only if you want to retain the immobilizer functionality.
jl_ep3 wrote:Step 3. Pay to have it fitted (Can I do this myself?)
It's easy to install.
jl_ep3 wrote:Step 4. Have it mapped.
Definitely have it mapped properly. A lot of people run just a base map and are happy with it. It all depends on the other mods you have in your car.
By jl_ep3
Thanks for the info, just so I am clear... I can buy a Kpro, plug it in, download a temporary base map and the car WILL start as normal but with no immobiliser.. (untill it is coded)....right?
By bluntcap
jl_ep3 wrote:Thanks for the info, just so I am clear... I can buy a Kpro, plug it in, download a temporary base map and the car WILL start as normal but with no immobiliser.. (untill it is coded)....right?
100% The little green key light just constantly flashes but you get used to it quick enough.

Oh yea you also select the option to disable the immobiliser when downloading a map, which needs to be done.
By jl_ep3
bluntcap wrote:
jl_ep3 wrote:Thanks for the info, just so I am clear... I can buy a Kpro, plug it in, download a temporary base map and the car WILL start as normal but with no immobiliser.. (untill it is coded)....right?
100% The little green key light just constantly flashes but you get used to it quick enough.

Oh yea you also select the option to disable the immobiliser when downloading a map, which needs to be done.
Cheers bluntcap!
By jostrom
bluntcap wrote:

Yeah and in case you get bored with the flashing key, just disconnect the immob-connector inside the steering column.
By jl_ep3
Right, I've ordered a Kpro from TDI yesterday, as you will probably tell from reading, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to ECU's

I'm guessing I've purchased a PRB therefore to load a basemap, I would need to use the provided RSX maps, then change the settings to suit my engine?

To be honest, the whole thing scares the s**t out of me but I need to learn. I've signed up to the Hondata forum thinking it would help but I came away really confused.

As you can also tell... I've got a lot to learn. :lol:
By xdcx
jl_ep3 wrote:Right, I've ordered a Kpro from TDI yesterday, as you will probably tell from reading, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to ECU's

I'm guessing I've purchased a PRB therefore to load a basemap, I would need to use the provided RSX maps, then change the settings to suit my engine?

To be honest, the whole thing scares the s**t out of me but I need to learn. I've signed up to the Hondata forum thinking it would help but I came away really confused.

Both the Euro Tuned and RSX Cold Air maps work OK in most cases with simple intake and cat back mods. both of these are good to go, only changes you would need to make in Kmanager when uploading is to disable the immob and other handy things like setting the EML to flash when an engine knock is detected. (also you might have read you make a simple change to the file for the RSX cold air map regards the ECU type, but this is simple to do, I am guessing you've seen the instructions on doing this on here already).

What mods do you have on the car just now?
By jostrom
jl_ep3 wrote:I'm guessing I've purchased a PRB therefore to load a basemap, I would need to use the provided RSX maps, then change the settings to suit my engine?
If you have a UK or euro model EP3 and you bought a PRB K-Pro, you need to get the OEM wideband lambda sensor and do a couple of wiring mods. Obviously you need to use the PRB (RSX-S) maps (DO NOT mess with the ECU type).
By jl_ep3
xdcx wrote:
jl_ep3 wrote:Right, I've ordered a Kpro from TDI yesterday, as you will probably tell from reading, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to ECU's

Both the Euro Tuned and RSX Cold Air maps work OK in most cases with simple intake and cat back mods. both of these are good to go, only changes you would need to make in Kmanager when uploading is to disable the immob and other handy things like setting the EML to flash when an engine knock is detected. (also you might have read you make a simple change to the file for the RSX cold air map regards the ECU type, but this is simple to do, I am guessing you've seen the instructions on doing this on here already).

What mods do you have on the car just now?
RBC Intake (Ported)
70mm Throttle Body
AEM CAI
Japspeed Race Exhaust Manifold (same as DC Sports)
2.5" B-pipe (OEM Back box)
xdcx wrote:Why would you guess it is a PRB ECU anyway? It's something you need to know/be sure of.
Yes, True. I'm only asking the question to put my mind at ease, not going to upload any maps untill I am SURE what to.
By jl_ep3
jostrom wrote:
jl_ep3 wrote:I'm guessing I've purchased a PRB therefore to load a basemap, I would need to use the provided RSX maps, then change the settings to suit my engine?
If you have a UK or euro model EP3 and you bought a PRB K-Pro, you need to get the OEM wideband lambda sensor and do a couple of wiring mods. Obviously you need to use the PRB (RSX-S) maps (DO NOT mess with the ECU type).
I think a trip to TDi is in order... :???:
By xdcx
If you have all of those mods currently FITTED to the car. Then no matter what generic map you use, the car is not going to run well at all.

The RSX and Euro tuned maps are good for basic breathing aka intake and cat back. With a decat header you would be fine for a while but as soon as you add the RBC, it's a whole different matter.

If you ordered from TDI then it will most likely be a PRA, but double check with them. This means you would need to change the ECU type of the RSX Cold Air .cal file for it to work on a UKDM/Euro EP3. But as above, your car with those mods is not going to run pretty at all with the cold air map.

jl_ep3 wrote:
jostrom wrote:
I think a trip to TDi is in order... :???:
Yes sir. I'd just get it mapped ASAP to avoid any hassles tbh.
By jl_ep3
I have told Tdi that I no longer want the ECU to be sent out.. I'm going up there to get the whole thing done in a day... Like you say it saves the hassle!

I'd rather pay the guys who know what they are doing!
By jostrom
xdcx wrote:If you have all of those mods currently FITTED to the car. Then no matter what generic map you use, the car is not going to run well at all.
Those are very mild mods and with a correct base map (like toda header map for example) the car would run ok. I'd say it wouldn't even go harmfully lean at WOT. Basic I/H/E mods don't make that big difference, it's when you start adding cams (not JDM EP3/DC5 cams, but proper aftermarket cams).

If you don't believe me, try :wink: I've tuned quite a few mildly modded cars and a correct base map is not that bad... Don't get me wrong though, they need to be tuned, but the car is completely driveable and will not go boom instantly.
By jl_ep3
The header is still tucked away in its box along with the b-pipe...The plan 'was' to fit them at the same time as the ECU. Currently, I have an RBC, 70mm tb and a CAI. :bigthumb:
By xdcx
jostrom wrote:
xdcx wrote:If you have all of those mods currently FITTED to the car. Then no matter what generic map you use, the car is not going to run well at all.
Those are very mild mods and with a correct base map (like toda header map for example) the car would run ok. I'd say it wouldn't even go harmfully lean at WOT. Basic I/H/E mods don't make that big difference, it's when you start adding cams (not JDM EP3/DC5 cams, but proper aftermarket cams).

If you don't believe me, try :wink: I've tuned quite a few mildly modded cars and a correct base map is not that bad... Don't get me wrong though, they need to be tuned, but the car is completely driveable and will not go boom instantly.
I know it won't boom instantly.

I know it will be fine with intake and full decat.

But with RBC it WILL run like poo :sad:

I have tried it. My last car was RBC, full Spoon exhaust, Gruppe M etc. I tried it on multiple maps just to see and to learn a little bit and it run like utter turd. Without the RBC though you were right, it run fine when that was removed. I only got the occasional knock high end 3rd/4th but was fine :bigthumb:
By jostrom
xdcx wrote:I know it won't boom instantly.

I know it will be fine with intake and full decat.

But with RBC it WILL run like poo :sad:

I have tried it. My last car was RBC, full Spoon exhaust, Gruppe M etc. I tried it on multiple maps just to see and to learn a little bit and it run like utter turd. Without the RBC though you were right, it run fine when that was removed. I only got the occasional knock high end 3rd/4th but was fine :bigthumb:

I still don't think RBC is a big mod, tuned a few car with RBCs and ported RBCs. None of them "ran like poo". What do you mean with that? I'm getting interested in this... I'm talking about Hondata-provided base maps, not some misc internet maps. Knock sounds really weird, are you sure it was actual knocking or just a few "ghost knocks"?
By EP3 Bahrain
this Thread is ICE COLD

Guys i'm having a problem with my CTR

i did a street tune to it but i'm having a knock probelm !!

my tuner Pulled the Timing to the Lowest possible to decrease the knock but still it's knocking so he added some Fuel to kill it ..

but by pulling the timing down .. my Car is not Showing The full potential as i think !

so please Help guys what to do :(

+ my Tranny got ruined but i will replace it with ITR Tranny ( LSD and shorter Ratios :WOOT )

Just For the info

my build is
K20A
RBC intake
karcepts BDL 66 Throttle
421 custom Headers + custom 2.5" exhaust
custom Intake pipe with K&N Air Cone

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]