The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Mind Over Matter...
By phunkmasterd
evilowl wrote:
phunkmasterd wrote:If somehow i could afford a Kpro, i live in Bristol... is the closest place going to be Abbey Mortorsport? How long does it all take?
Buy a second hand one, fit it yourself and download a free map of the net

Although it might be this easy....Surely its better to get it Dyno mapped?
By evilowl
A free map will get you 90-95% of the way there, although of course it's better to have it fully mapped you want to make sure you have finished modifying the car otherwise you will end up paying for multiple mapping sessions and that could get expensive.

I ran a tweaked version of a free map for 3 years and got great results from mine
By Jayandpixie
if this has been posted elsewhere then i apologise.....

bearing in mind fuel prices, does the k-pro work well with 95ron fuel? i would like this mod, but dont want to be tied in to buying premium....im seeing 215bhp at the fly with current mods and want to tie everything together with the ecu. :P
By Graham1
Jayandpixie wrote:if this has been posted elsewhere then i apologise.....

bearing in mind fuel prices, does the k-pro work well with 95ron fuel? i would like this mod, but dont want to be tied in to buying premium....im seeing 215bhp at the fly with current mods and want to tie everything together with the ecu. :P
if its not mapped to 97 or higher then its fine to run on 95, if its mapped to 97 then i wouldnt recomend runnig it on anything else
By phunkmasterd
Well i got mine done at TDI North.. i mnow packing 240bhp at the fly off of 99 RON....

Question : What damage if any would be done if run on 95 RON?
By evilowl
It would cause detonation which will damage the engine in the medium to long term. I would suggest you continue to run it on whatever it was mapped for, or get it remapped
By Graham1
phunkmasterd wrote:Well i got mine done at TDI North.. i mnow packing 240bhp at the fly off of 99 RON....

i would assume quite alot, as i think the engine starts to knock due to it not getting the right detonation :scratch: thats a pure guess, have a search around or email CPL, or whomever installed it as you should have asked this when you had it installed and mapped.
By evilowl
djgraham20354 wrote:
phunkmasterd wrote:Well i got mine done at TDI North.. i mnow packing 240bhp at the fly off of 99 RON....

i would assume quite alot, as i think the engine starts to knock due to it not getting the right detonation :scratch: thats a pure guess, have a search around or email CPL, or whomever installed it as you should have asked this when you had it installed and mapped.
wikipedia wrote:When unburned fuel/air mixture beyond the boundary of the flame front is heated and pressurized by the advancing flame front for a certain length of time, detonation occurs. It is caused by an instantaneous, explosive ignition of pockets of fuel/air mixture. The cylinder pressure rises sharply beyond its design limits, and if it is allowed to persist, detonation will damage or destroy engine parts. The deleterious mechanisms range from particle wear caused by moderate knocking, to holes punched through the piston or head caused by serious knocking.
By Graham1
evilowl wrote:
djgraham20354 wrote:

wikipedia wrote:When unburned fuel/air mixture beyond the boundary of the flame front is heated and pressurized by the advancing flame front for a certain length of time, detonation occurs. It is caused by an instantaneous, explosive ignition of pockets of fuel/air mixture. The cylinder pressure rises sharply beyond its design limits, and if it is allowed to persist, detonation will damage or destroy engine parts. The deleterious mechanisms range from particle wear caused by moderate knocking, to holes punched through the piston or head caused by serious knocking.
:WOOT go me i was right, and with my limited knowledge of fuel, and engines, although to be fair since joining the forum, my knowledge has increased
By big eck
I apologise for bring up an old thread but how much does it cost to have this Kpro fitted (drive in drive out) and what kind of gains would you expect to gain???

For arguments sake the car has a cat back stainless exhaust and a good decent filter other than that the engine mods are standard.
By oztee
Yep, EG3+3 is right, with very basic mods (intake + catback only) then kpro will give you more midrange performance than anything else. It does this by smoothing out the transition to vtec and lowering the vtec point properly and safely. You may get a few hp up top but not many. You will notice the mid range power - I think it makes the car more driveable.

To get good top end power gains with kpro you would need to purchase (along with your basic mods) at least a decat pipe, but even better a 4-2-1 manifold. This will let the engine get rid of exhaust gases much more easily and release those bhp at the top end of the rpm range. Depending on the quality/spec of your parts etc expect between 220 and 240bhp at the flywheel.

kpro costs about £750 fitted the last time i looked. There are tons of threads on this subject. Just have a search around.
By bluntcap
Yea it would help definatly, its just the point of having to pay for another remap once you get the mani etc on. But if that wont be for a while why not.
By EP3crew
Good info- :thumbup:
By 1812_s
I will be getting either Kpro or k 100 next month but can't decide what one to get.....for example if I were to jrsc in future I would not be able fit at home and upload the base map with the k100 meaning I would have to pay a tower to tow my car to a mapper????......also am I right in saying that you can have launch control but just can't change it yourself???

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]