The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Mind Over Matter...
By Bennylenny88
Hi everyone I have a 53 plate ep3 (preface lift) and I want to wire in my engine starter button.
I just need to know which wire is which? Also the button didn't come with any instructions etc but it has 3 connections on the back.
I assume one is a ground one is for the light and one is for the ignition.
Thanks for your time guys.

By mjhamilton
Do a quick search - pretty sure there's a how to on wiring one of these in somewhere
By N77
This came with mine, can only take a pic as don't have scanner at the mo.

The kit I had was all pre-wired with relay and connector to starter button.

By Leezer
Ignition wire that you need to either cut or splice on the column is striped black/white. It's the thickest wire on bunch. Power comes from any neg/pos terminals. I wired from back of ciggie lighter.
By Leezer
Each connector goes to a specific # on relay

86 - yellow
87 - red ignition wire
30 - red positive (twin wires)
85 - black negative

It's a fairly simple install

Run 87 to the ignition wire on the steering column (remove cover, three on lower cover on column)
The ignition wire is black&white

Either strip part of the wire back and splice into it if you want to still have the option to start with key.

Or

Cut the ignition wire (at a point where it can be rejoined if starter button is ever removed) and connect 87 to the end which is running into the loom (not the wire running into connector on column), this option is for using button only (when ignition is on to second click with key)

I wired it the second way as I knew I would just use the key every time I got in, what's the point having the button if it's never used :)

Anywho. 30 & 85 run to the ciggy lighter, just take the gear knob off and grab the trim at gater and pull. Be careful at the two top corners at they can snap if bent, I use a CD to prise the clips out once I've popped the ones at bottom by pulling at gater.
Doesn't matter what wire goes to which terminal on ciggy block.

That's it wired up and good to go

I just cable tied the relay to part of the loom between column and button.
By N77
So is it all working and fitted now?
Need to get my arse in gear and do mine but want to sort out the surround first.

You are best to solder the wire for the best connection :)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]