The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Mind Over Matter...
By jgalla89
I got in the car last night after work and went to start the car, the key turned but as it started the casing around my type r key fob decided to shatter into pieces!

Got the car home turned it off and used some grips to get the metal key out the barrel, went upstairs got my spare electronic key fob came down and tested it to make sure the car locked, unlocked and started....

Worked no problem!

This morning I've come out to start the car with this spare key fob and it unlocks and locks but when I go to turn the car over it just turns over and over but won't start!!!

I then got my original key out and the shattered fob still works unlocking and locking the car. I then got some grips and but the metal key stalk from my original key into the ignition and the car does the same, it will turn over but not start!

I'm assuming that for some reason the keys are working by they are not demobilising the car?

Am I right? If so how do I go about sorting it?

Any advice would be appreciated
By jgalla89
I will try disconnecting the battery later after work, had to get the bus in the end!

Last night both keys would unlock, lock and the car would start.

Now this morning they will lock and unlock but both will not start the car, its almost as if the car has forgotton both keys, really hope i dont have to get it towed to honda as im sure it costs a lot to get keys reprogrammed at main dealers.
By jgalla89
Great news got home from work read the manual and it said if the green key icon keeps flashing when you turn your ignition on it means that car doesn't recognise the keys. Tried the broken key and my spare and this was the case with both.

i managed to find a guide on how to reprogramme your key to the car and managed to get my spare one to work! Just find it weird how my spare worked last night and then this morning the car wouldn't recognise my original broken one or my spare one, yet both would lock and unlock the car.

so I just need to get a replacement key fob sorted, can anyone recommend where to get the casing from, preferably with the red Honda logo as my sore just has the plain black one?

cheers
By Lewisgame
Not sure what has broke or what you tried to do. But the immobiliser chip isn't in the remote fob, it's built into the plastic key that you put into the ignition. (Unless you've modified an FN2 key for an EP3)
By SWT92
Sounds like the antenna ring isn't picking up the code from the key. With your spare key have you ever used it before? Like you said, sounds like you need to get the spare key re coded to the car. Either Honda will obviously do it. You can get special independents in vans that can sort it for you.
By GMballistic
jgalla89 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:36 pm wrote:
so I just need to get a replacement key fob sorted, can anyone recommend where to get the casing from, preferably with the red Honda logo as my sore just has the plain black one?

cheers
I'd have a look on eBay if you're just after an alarm fob/key casing as there are lots of new & used on there for the EP3 & FN2's. ;)
By jgalla89
Lewisgame » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:22 pm wrote:Not sure what has broke or what you tried to do. But the immobiliser chip isn't in the remote fob, it's built into the plastic key that you put into the ignition. (Unless you've modified an FN2 key for an EP3)
Basically my original key broke into pieces last night, got home tried my spare and it worked fine, got up this morning and neither worked on the car.

Seems like my car had forgotten the keys for some reason overnight, all sorted now managed to find a guide on how to reprogramme your self!
By jgalla89
SWT92 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:47 pm wrote:Sounds like the antenna ring isn't picking up the code from the key. With your spare key have you ever used it before? Like you said, sounds like you need to get the spare key re coded to the car. Either Honda will obviously do it. You can get special independents in vans that can sort it for you.
Had never used the spare till last night, it worked fine last night and then this morning wouldn't demobilise the car, can't figure out why!

Was going ring Honda and look at towing it there for them to reprogramme my key, which probably would have been £££

Managed to find a guide in Google on how to reprogramme the key to your car, quite easy actually.

Just need to get new casing and that for my original key that's in pieces and then I can programme that to the car

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]