The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Mind Over Matter...
As there seems to be a few problems recently with people having issues I thought I would write a quick guide

When you purchase a second hand KPro, the seller will normally upload a map with the immobiliser disabled. This will allow you to plug in the ECU and drive the car as is. You will get the immobiliser key blinking green on the dashboard to tell you it's disabled. All the time it's blinking, your insurance is null and void if the car is stolen so you will want to take the car to a Honda dealer so they can recode the immobiliser in the ECU.

Checklist of stuff to take with you:
  • 1. KPro if not already fitted to the car
    2. Laptop with the latest version of KManager downloaded from here
    3. USB cable for connecting laptop to KPro
    4. Both sets of car keys
    5. Toolkit if you intend to fit the KPro yourself
To remove the existing ECU and fit the KPro follow the instructions on the Hondata site - basically drop the glovebox and use a 10mm socket set to remove the ECU and cover, carefully unclip the 3 connectors on the ECU

http://www.hondata.com/k20removeecu.html

The map you choose will depend what mods you're running but I'll assume it's a reasonable intake*/exhaust** so I will base this on the k20a2-rsx-coldair map but if not, just choose one of the Euro K20A2 maps and skip the bit about changing the ECU type, or choose a map more suitable for your mods.

When you get to the Honda dealer, you'll need a laptop running KManager software from the hondata website.

**NB - once you have performed the following steps, the car won't start, so make sure the car is parked where the Honda dealer wants to work on it first (i.e. their workshop/service area)**

Open KManager on your laptop and select file>open. You'll get the list of maps that come with the software preloaded. Right click k20a2-rsx-coldair and select "open with" and choose notepad

Change the ECU type from 3 to 2 and click file>save in notepad

Now you can open that map in KManager. From the top menu select Parameters>misc. Here you can enable the immobiliser. Then select Knock/TPS and ensure the knock sensor box is ticked, and also tick the lower box for flashing MIL when knock is detected.

Now save the map by clicking file>save as and choosing a new name for the map (e.g k20a2-rsx-coldair-immob) . You can't overwrite the existing one.

Plug the USB lead from the ECU into the laptop and put the keys in the ignition, and switch the ignition on (but don't start the car). If you haven't ever connected the laptop to the ECU before the laptop will recognise the ECU and will ask for drivers. Choose to install the drivers manually and point the installation directory to the KManager folder (ie c:\program files\kmanager ) and click ok. It will then find the drivers and give you a warning that the drivers aren't digitally signed but click continue anyway.

When that's finished, in KManager click Online>Upload. It will take around 60 seconds to upload the map and you will hear a click from the ignition when it resets itself.

Now the Honda dealer can get to work coding the immobiliser. It should only take 20-30 minutes so you should be charged for a maximum of half an hour's labour at the dealers normal rates plus VAT.

*Reasonable intake = GruppeM, AEM CAI etc
**Reasonable exhaust = decent catback - i.e. Spoon N1, Toda etc
thetrash1 wrote:
Drucifer wrote:I thought the ECU immobiliser was re-coded to the barrel immobiliser via the diagnostics port? I'm sure I read that somewhere, it even mentioned the software Honda use to do it :scratch:
It is.
Feel free to write your own how-to's, and I'll replace this sticky with your own infinite wisdom :thumbup:
thetrash1 wrote:
Drucifer wrote:I thought the ECU immobiliser was re-coded to the barrel immobiliser via the diagnostics port? I'm sure I read that somewhere, it even mentioned the software Honda use to do it :scratch:
It is.
Yep, thats what they did to mine! Watched him do it :-D
Tried downloading the k-manager software but i keep getting my anti-virus saying that the file is infected witha virus and do not open. what shall i do? i dont want to infect my laptop with a virus, any suggestions?
The file that it keeps saying is infected with a parastic type virus is the - Win32/virut.Z file.
Has anyone else seen this message from their anti-virus?
Ok in simple terms lol

Remove standard ecu
Fit KPro ecu
Upload map with immobilser enabled
Remove KPro ecu
Fit non standard ecu
Drive to dealers
Remove standard ecu
Fit KPro ecu
Get dealer to recode immobilser

Surely it's just easier to drive to the dealers with a laptop :lol:
evilowl wrote:Ok in simple terms lol

Remove standard ecu
Fit KPro ecu
Upload map with immobilser enabled
Remove KPro ecu
Fit non standard ecu
Drive to dealers
Remove standard ecu
Fit KPro ecu
Get dealer to recode immobilser

Surely it's just easier to drive to the dealers with a laptop :lol:
Sorry but what i actually meant was that if you are doing a swap over like standard ecu for a kpro'd ecu then you could just take both cars to the dealership and have them recoded.
as for the maps, would it be ok to downlaod a new map after the car has been recoded?
Another word of advice do not mention it's a chipped ecu!

There are quite a few dealers (I dealt with them) that are narrow minded and refuse or make excuses when it comes to K-pro. It amazed me how 4 dealers failed and blamed my electrics and the ecu yet John pease were able to do it first time although on the phone I said it was a standard ecu as first time round they refused to touch it because it was k-pro'd.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]