The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Mind Over Matter...
By miniturbo
CPL Racing wrote:The ecu responds very well to a well designed cai.

All of the intakes we have tested to date both with and without the ecu loose power.

Did you see the article we did in Jap Performance a few months ago? This showed ecu, ecu/cai and ecu/caiand header.
What would you sugest my next gofaster mod to be then CPL? I only ask as you know what runs well with the ecu.

Thanks again!
By CPL Racing
miniturbo wrote:

All of the intakes we have tested to date both with and without the ecu loose power.

Did you see the article we did in Jap Performance a few months ago? This showed ecu, ecu/cai and ecu/caiand header.
What would you sugest my next gofaster mod to be then CPL? I only ask as you know what runs well with the ecu.

Thanks again!
We have developed an exhaust manifold for the FN2, this works really well with the ecu.

These should be available in a few months.
By tp
Am really impressed with the ECU. Had it fitted by TDi a couple of weeks ago and havent looked back.

Was worried that the lower vtec point would mean if you floored it and then revs remained over 3800 then it would remain on the high cam and be really poor on fuel. It doesn't. :WOOT
You can really feel the benefits of it and on a long run to Kent and back it gave me another 50 miles on the tank. :shock:

Can't wait for the mappable version. :twisted:
By miniturbo
CPL Racing wrote:
miniturbo wrote:

Thanks again!
We have developed an exhaust manifold for the FN2, this works really well with the ecu.

These should be available in a few months.
Sounds good, what kind of ball park gains did you see with the manifold? Would the ecu work well with a sports cat as tbh im not sure i want to go quite as far as a manifold.
Thanks once again
By stifflerprice1981
hey great thread and it has answered alot of my Q's, sorry if im going over old ground here.But there is still a few things im unsure of

1. is there a hondata ecu in development like the kpro and would this be more benficial to wait for? Im not planning to do many mods to my car.

2. if i get my key coded to the hondata ecu to make my immobiliser work will honda log this and then if something goes wrong and i swap back ecu's would they still know? does anyone know how much the key coding is?

3. If any of you where going to spend 1k on your car would this be the 1st item you would buy and best way to spend it, im not interested in exterior mods as i think it looks pretty sweet as it is.

I have this car as a compromise to my self as it fulfills my need for a sporty car but i travel alot with work so i need it to be barable for motorway driving and not too expensive on fuel. So to me the ecu sounds like a good option.

Also on tdi north website the ecu is £550, is this the normal price but not including VAT?

thanks in advance
By woolz
there must be some sort of mappable hondata out because cpl are puting chargers on their production car, surely the basic hondata ecu thats avaiable wouldnt cope with this sort of engine tunning?
By -=Stella Artois=-
Fitted the Hondata Group N ECU today, as supplied by CPL Racing. Certainly not as flexible as our EP3 brethren's Kpro, but as availablilty is thin on the ground, thought I would give it a shot.

CPL delivered it special delivery and it took 15 minutes to fit. A simple plug and play affair.

The parameters that have been changed are:

* The VTEC point has been lowered to 3800 RPM
* There is a VTEC window in place between 3800 - 5200
* Rev limit raised to 8600 RPM
* Secondary Oxygen sensor has been disabled. (To allow race headers)
* Oil level indicator has been disabled. (Not sure why?)
* Ignition timing has been advanced
* Cam angles optimised for better breathing

Bad Points:

Initially, I was not pleased with the ECU, as my car sounded quieter at idle, and had lost a little of the burble that I like.

The inbuilt limiter preventing > 4000 rpm (stationary/neutral) has gone, found this as I started the car. I had just completed a 30 mile trip so the car was warm, so I blipped the throttle to see if the exhaust not changed and it zotted off past 5k. Ooops - will have to remember that.

Loss of the immobiliser.

Good Points:

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

A cracking increase of torque felt, pulling much harder from idle through the entire rev range. 8600, feels like a cushion limiter, just dipping it by about 200 rpm, when it hits. Not vicious but gradual. There seems to be a bit more urgency in the way the the REV counter swings around, heading towards the redline whilst under acceleration and the Speedo backs this up, with 100 being achievable in third. (Simulated Driving: Other vehicles may deviate from said figures - Don't try this at home and not on a public highway - End of Disclaimer).

Now, I was quite concerned as to what would happen with the new ECU, when I hit the 3900 point. In respect of what speed I would be doing in top, and would it interfere with the cars normal cruise control speed. I know the car is not tuned for economy but I didn't want it to be sat in the VTEC continuously.

This is cleverly, where the VTEC window comes in. The VTEC window allows you, anywhere between 3800 and 5200 to press the throttle, and immediately be in the VTEC range, all the way through to 8600. But if you wanted to cruise at say, 4000 rpm, the VTEC will disengage. It senses the application of the throttle to either switch in or out of the VTEC. It does this anywhere within the VTEC window, giving you some sort of economy.

As the Group N is a preset ECU, it can be bought off the shelf. £659.00 Inluding Special Delivery. There is no requirement for you to send and ECU. An exchange option is not available, and realistically, probably not financially beneficial for the supplier.

The Group N is optimised for vehicles that have any combination of intake, header or exhaust. From that you can expect that it is a generic map that is loaded into the ECU. One that has been calculated to operate with stock cams. In fact, there is a disclaimer that says that it will probably not be beneficial to those who have uprated cams as the VTEc point will be too low, however as there are only a couple of Cams available at present. Toda A3, and Brian Crower it could be assumed that the Hondata has been designed without taking these newly available products into consideration.

The Group N is a direct replacement.

Not yet driven the car in anger, but on the whole it feels beefier and more responsive, and the VTEC wail goes on... and on...... and on................
By private
Sounds good, still hate the loss of standard CAT1 system and would like some quantitive measure of improvement rather than subjective feelings.. keep us posted please :thumbup:
By mr_flan
good write up Stella.

I've had the Hondata for 5-6 months now and what difference it makes, torque and mid range power is awesome.

Your initial thoughts about the sound of the car and idle speed will change, the ECU needs 20-30 mins of mixed driving to adjust itself, i've added the stock ECU back in a few times and the sound and performance difference is massive (Milltek pipe fitted) the Hondata seems to 'open' everything out. All we need now is good CAI to go with it!!

:thumbup:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]