The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Down A Bit, Down A Bit, That's It...
By fras83
Hey, I'm looking at possibly changing my standard suspension on my ep3. That's if I can decide whether to upgrade brakes first or not! Anyway I have been looking about for a set of coilovers that would be good on road and track. So looks like a set that the damping can be easily adjusted would be a good choice. Ie so i can have them softer for the road then wind them up for the track. Just wondering what people have and there opinion on them. I have looked at Bilstien, kw and tien. Any advice/opinions welcome!
By aydhayeth
I am getting a complete custom setup for my road/track EP3.
Rather costly, it beats everything hands down.

The stock suspension isn't bad but the car still leans way to much at high speed to my liking.
By AdamB92
I've got the Bilstein B16, fully adjustable kit. Their great for both road and track, only downside to them is if you run some sticky tyres you'll find you need more camber up front, which you'll need some camber top mounts as the Bilstein's only use OEM top mounts.
Damping adjustment can be a bit of a pain on the front as you have to get under the car as the adjuster is on the bottom, but it's not so much of an issue depending on how many trackdays you do.

Comes down to budget though really, if you got £2500 to blow on a set of coilovers then go for some Ohlins or Nitrons lol.
By fras83
Cheers for the replies. I was looking at spending maybe around 1500 for a set. How easy are the bc coilovers to adjust k20? That's another thing I will have to consider- spring rates!
Do you adjust your bilstiens between road and track Adam? Looking at possibly running ad08r's so take I would need different top mount's if I was to go for he bilstiens?

Also have you fitted anything along with coilovers ie roll centre adjusters etc?
By AdamB92
fras83 wrote:Cheers for the replies. I was looking at spending maybe around 1500 for a set. How easy are the bc coilovers to adjust k20? That's another thing I will have to consider- spring rates!
Do you adjust your bilstiens between road and track Adam? Looking at possibly running ad08r's so take I would need different top mount's if I was to go for he bilstiens?

Also have you fitted anything along with coilovers ie roll centre adjusters etc?
Yes I do mate. I generally run 9 on front, and 7 on rear for road use. When I'm on track I got a set of Nankang NS-2R semi's, and push the front up 7-8, and the rear at 4-5. (Bilstein's are rated from 1-9 clicks, 1 being stiffest and 9 being softest).
It really depends on the track and geometry setup though as to setting the damping rate.
It would also be wise to get a baffled sump if you haven't already got one as well.

Roll centre adjusters are recommended yes. Along with that if you want more than 1.75 degree camber you'll also need some modified steering arms or you'll run out of toe adjustment.

As you can see, it can soon quickly add up! Is your £1500 just for the coilovers themselves, or would that be the entire setup? (assume you have nothing at the moment).
By fras83
Ideally around 1500 would be for everything. Yeh thats another thing I'll need to have a think about is the geometry setup. Although maybe best to get it on track as it is and take it from there! Did quite like the look of the bilstiens as they were around my price range and had the adjustment but will have to factor in everything else that goes with it! Although don't like the fact that they don't come with top mounts.
By AdamB92
I think for £1500 all in, you'd ideally be looking at coilovers like BC, Meister Zeta R, Yellowspeed or even Tein Streets. You would be over budget if you went with Bilsteins by the time you factor everything else in I reckon.

My setup cost me over £1500, and I done all the work myself! Only thing I didn't do was the geometry.
The Bilsteins are let down without the camber plates, but front camber bolts are more than enough if you only plan on doing a couple of days a year then most of the time on the road. Until you get hooked, and grab some sticky tyres that's when you'll need like 2 degrees + camber.

Where abouts in the country are you? Be able to recommend some tuners to speak to then :)
By fras83
Yeh it's not just the price of the coilovers but everything else you need to fit to go with them! How much have you lowered the car on the bilstiens? Was actually considering just fitting eibach pro kit springs and then get frsu the now but i thought it would be waste of money as eventually would probably fit coilovers anyway!
By AdamB92
I don't know how much it's lowered, the height and geometry was setup by Tom @ TGM, and really can't complain, I've also got a 3" exhaust system and it very rarely scrapes on anything, but I do my best to avoid sh-t roads.

It really comes down to budget and what you use the car for. If you're going to track the car you'll soon find the limits and area's to improve on.
I will say a rear anti-roll bar is a must though!
By fras83
Ok thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for a ARB then. Im not really wanting it slammed, just a bit lower than standard would be fine. Yeh I imagine a lot of coilovers would be great for the track but just wouldn't stand up to the abuse they would be given on the good old british roads with the state a lot of them are in!! And thats with taking it easy on the roads aswell. So something proven to stand up to british roads then turn the dampers up and be great on the track would be ideally what im after. I think I would be the same as yourself with doing most of the work fitting to save a bit on labour cost then get the ride height and geometry setup.
Although not sure when suspension is going to get done as car is in to get new crankshaft seal, clutch and fly wheel and while it was split thought I might aswell fit quaife lsd and 5.1 final drive. So maybe wait and see how I get on with that lot first! Also tyres are shot so that'll be my next purchase I think.
By fras83
Lewisgame wrote:At £1500 go for the MeisterR GT1's. Far better than the Zeta-R (at £700) and can be built to your specifications as the damper internals are individually CNC machined.
I've had at look at these Lewis, they look pretty good. How have they been for you? Have you had any issues?
By Lewisgame
fras83 wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:At £1500 go for the MeisterR GT1's. Far better than the Zeta-R (at £700) and can be built to your specifications as the damper internals are individually CNC machined.
I've had at look at these Lewis, they look pretty good. How have they been for you? Have you had any issues?
Surprisingly comfortable for a coilover. Only done 2 sessions at silverstone but they performed faultlessly. I haven't had any issues.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]